• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northeastern New York - Food

I was asked on another thread if there are any good places to eat, up here where I live. Well, in fact there are. I will mention my very favorite restaurants and producers of quality ingredients and then hope others will add and share (especially for quality ingredient sources).

My three favorite restaurants are:

1) Friends Lake Inn in Chestertown, near Gore Mountain Ski area. Inventive cuisine with a killer wine list in a very hospitable environment. Special events such as winemaker or bring your own best bottle themed wine dinners are particularly fun.

2) Chez Sophie in Saratoga. Excellent ingredients, simply, but extremely well prepared in a French Bistro style by Chef/owner Paul Parker. The all-French wine list is full of interesting and reasonably priced selections.

3) Springwater Bistro in Saratoga presents creative American cuisine with a particular strength in seafood prepared by Chef David Britten. The wine list is adequate, but improving.

My favorite purveyors:

1) 3 Corner Field Farm in Shushan raise the most delicious hormone-supplement free, grassfed lamb around. They currently sell most of their milk to Old Chatham, but are in the process of making their own cheeses.

2) Flying Pigs Farm also in Shushan raise heritage breed pork.

3) Thistle Downs in Easto raise great organic, free-range chickens, turkeys (including heritage breeds), ducks and geese. They also sell eggs of each in season. There is nothing quite like a fresh goose egg.

4) Van Eyk produce and Arnold Produce both sell at the Glens Falls and Queensbury Farmer's Markets in season. They each have extremely high quality, delicious, organic produce. I can't wait for the market to open.

This post is not meant to be exhaustive - just a start. Any additions?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Chez Sophie and Springwater are our two favorite places when we visit Saratoga Springs during the summer.

Paul and Cheryl are wonderful hosts at Chez Sophie. The sweetbreads are my favorite dish. Not being familiar with many French wines, we ask Paul to select the wines for us and he always does an amazing job of picking great wines and providing a an eGullet like description of the wines chosen.

Springwater Bistro is relatively new to the scene but is serving delicious and creative food. I'll never forget the macaroni and cheese with snails and chorizo!

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Chez Sophie and Springwater are our two favorite places when we visit Saratoga Springs during the summer.

Paul and Cheryl are wonderful hosts at Chez Sophie. The sweetbreads are my favorite dish. Not being familiar with many French wines, we ask Paul to select the wines for us and he always does an amazing job of picking great wines and providing a an eGullet like description of the wines chosen.

Springwater Bistro is relatively new to the scene but is serving delicious and creative food. I'll never forget the macaroni and cheese with snails and chorizo!

Cheryl and Paul recently had a baby, Nicholas. They and the restaurant haven't missed a beat. Are you on the mailing list for their newsletter. If not, I recommend getting on it, since it is both fun and informative.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Is Saratoga in Northeastern New York? Isn't it pretty near the middle of the Eastern part of the state? When I think of Northeastern New York I think of Clinton, Essex, Warren, etc.

Damn New York is big.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Is Saratoga in Northeastern New York? Isn't it pretty near the middle of the Eastern part of the state? When I think of Northeastern New York I think of Clinton, Essex, Warren, etc.

Damn New York is big.

I consider Albany to be the dividing line between Northeastern and Southeastern New York, but what do I know - I grew up in Brooklyn.

Twitter - @docsconz

Might this outfit be related to the Flying Pig Cafe at the (old) train station in Mount Kisco?

The FPC specializes in heritage breed pork, and is rooted in locally sourced food products. They specialize in Hudson Valley and NY state products.

Edit

I didn't see anything on either website which suggested a link. The selection at FPF looks interesting, and they don't use animal byproducts in feed or growth hormones. Nice selection of cuts and chops.

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Might this outfit be related to the Flying Pig Cafe at the (old) train station in Mount Kisco?

The FPC specializes in heritage breed pork, and is rooted in locally sourced food products. They specialize in Hudson Valley and NY state products.

I don't know. I will be in contact soon, as I expect to be picking up an order. I'll try to remember to ask them.

Twitter - @docsconz

Damn New York is big.

I consider Albany to be the dividing line between Northeastern and Southeastern New York, but what do I know - I grew up in Brooklyn.

Okay, if the choice is between Northeastern and Southeastern, with no Central option at all, then I'm on board. Just wanted to make sure we didn't annoy all our Plattsburgh members.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I had the opportunity to work at the Friends Lake Inn about seven or eight years ago with David Martin the chef at the time and also for a very short time with Sophie Parker about a year before her passing which was a highlight of my career.

She could run rings around kids in their twentys and cooked with a passion that I rarely see.

I now work in Saratoga and it is well known in the business that nothing in the area come's close to Chez Sophie.

RR

Robert R

Are you on the mailing list for their newsletter. If not, I recommend getting on it, since it is both fun and informative.

Yes, I am on their mailing list and look forward to reading their newsletter every Friday. For anyone else interested in it, you can sign up at Chez Sophie. Come to think of it, I'm going to suggest to Paul and Cheryl that they check out eGullet. I think they'd both enjoy it and have much to contribute. :smile:

Are you on the mailing list for their newsletter. If not, I recommend getting on it, since it is both fun and informative.

Yes, I am on their mailing list and look forward to reading their newsletter every Friday. For anyone else interested in it, you can sign up at Chez Sophie. Come to think of it, I'm going to suggest to Paul and Cheryl that they check out eGullet. I think they'd both enjoy it and have much to contribute. :smile:

I already suggested it!

Twitter - @docsconz

I followed Doc Sconzo's advice to check out this site, and not only am I entertained, I'm blushing. Paul and I will try to live up to the praise.

Cheryl@ChezSophie.com

Well, we've got someone else hooked on egullet. Cheryl Parker had some very nice things to say about egullet in Chez Sophie's weekly newsletter. Read it here.

I still want to hear about other favorite restaurants and food producers in the North Country. There must be some fans of Anthony's in Plattsburgh, the restaurant that spawned Gary Danko of San Francisco restaurant fame? I haven't been there in years, although I hear that it is still quite good.

Twitter - @docsconz

Another interesting producer is Sunrise Mountain Buffalo Farm in Cambridge, N.Y. They have fine quality buffalo meat, albeit a bit pricey.

Twitter - @docsconz

Very much agree with all of docsconz' recommendations. May I add:

1. Eartha's in Saratoga Springs. Max London is a very creative, exciting young chef.

2. Cafe Capriccio in Albany. Many Tuscan specialties, with some Sicilian additions.

However, I feel both could use a little help with their wine lists.

Purveyor: Mantis Farm- wonderful organic veggies. Stillwater, NY. Sells through the Saratoga & Troy farmers' markets.

Mark A. Bauman

Very much agree with all of docsconz' recommendations. May I add:

1. Eartha's in Saratoga Springs. Max London is a very creative, exciting young chef.

2. Cafe Capriccio in Albany. Many Tuscan specialties, with some Sicilian additions.

However, I feel both could use a little help with their wine lists.

Purveyor:  Mantis Farm- wonderful organic veggies. Stillwater, NY. Sells through the Saratoga & Troy farmers' markets.

Mark,

Thanks for the additions. I haven't tried Eartha's since Max London took over. Is he any relation to the London's of Rockhill Bakehouse and Mrs. London's Bakery, both of which are outstanding. Rock Hill bakery in South Glens Falls bakes fine artisanal breads and Mrs. London's in Saratoga makes incredible cakes and breads.

Twitter - @docsconz

Another interesting producer is Sunrise Mountain Buffalo Farm in Cambridge, N.Y. They have fine quality buffalo meat, albeit a bit pricey.

Sunrise has an interesting and helpful website. Significant range of buffalo products, from filet mignon ($20) to chuck ($6). They offer tours, too.

Based on the good doc's prescription / description of several places, it sounds like a trip to the North Country may be in order. I chased trains operated by the Delaware & Hudson Railroad back there in the 1970s, the area has probably changed a little since then...

Here's the website for Sunrise

Buffalo

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sunrise has an interesting and helpful website. Significant range of buffalo products, from filet mignon ($20) to chuck ($6). They offer tours, too.

Based on the good doc's prescription / description of several places, it sounds like a trip to the North Country may be in order. I chased trains operated by the Delaware & Hudson Railroad back there in the 1970s, the area has probably changed a little since then...

Here's the website for Sunrise

Buffalo

The area around Cambridge, N.Y. is beautiful to boot with verdant rolling hills. The Cambridge Hotel is a nice place to stay in the area with decent chow. The other places I mentioned in Shushan are nearby as well.

Twitter - @docsconz

The area around Cambridge, N.Y. is beautiful to boot with verdant rolling hills. The Cambridge Hotel is a nice place to stay in the area with decent chow. The other places I mentioned in Shushan are nearby as well.

Thanks, Doc

There are monasteries of orthodox christian monks, nuns, and married folks (!) in the Cambridge area. They have descended from one of the Roman traditions, and are now participants in the Orthodox expression. They raise german shepherd dogs, make cheese / jams / fruitcakes and sell recordings.

New Skete

Sounds like a road trip is in the plans once the snow melts (after June 15 or so...)

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

rancho gordo

Sounds like a road trip is in the plans once the snow melts (after June 15 or so...)

Let me know when you will be in the area. Perhaps we can set up an eGullet meal.

Twitter - @docsconz

May I add:

I am pleased :biggrin:

eGullet has provided another dividend. Mark, thanks for the recommendation of Eartha's. I went tonight for the first time. Max London is a very talented young chef (22 y/o)with a very bright future ahead of him. What was particularly interesting about the meal is that he took fairly standard and almost cliched dishes and made them fresh again. I started with a sesame crusted seared tuna. This was bathed in a tasty sesame-soy-jalapeno oil sauce and accented by a nice dollop of avocado cream. I next had a salad of warm balsamic cremini mushrooms over baby spinach, toasted pine nuts and shaved parmaggiano cheese that was a superb blend of flavors and textures. My main course was roasted halibut over white bean puree and covered by roasted cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts and zucchini. This dish was also excellent, but a notch below the others. The bulk of the flavor came from the bean puree, but it could have stood to be slightly more assertive. Dessert was a smooth and delicious chocolate panna cotta. In addition I got comped a tasty apple "dumpling" with cinnamon mascarpone and then a house-made toasted almond ice cream. The service was attentive, friendly and professional.

If there is a weakness that I can identify after one visit, it is the wine list. It isn't bad, but neither is it anything special.

I am looking forward to returning soon.

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz