• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanger Steak

Ron Johnson

I put a spice rub on it consisting of salt, pepper, pasilla chile powder, cumin, cloves and cinnamon and grill it. Slice it up and serve with tortillas and grilled onions.

I've also put it on bibimbap.

Edit: spelling

Edited by guajolote (log)

I put a spice rub on it consisting of salt, pepper, pasilla chile powder, cumin, cloves and cinnamon and grill it. Slice it up and serve with tortillas nad grilled onions.

I did that with a flank steak last night. yummy.

I have never prepared hangEr steak at home because I have never seen it at my butchers. Now I know they take this cut home to their family. Bastards.

google "hanger steak":  8000 returned pages

google "hangar steak":  4000 returned pages

hypothesis:  ron johnson is only as dumb as half the people.

I think 4000 is one-third of 12,000, not half.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I worked with a sous chef who insisted it wasn't a cut of meat at all. 

(Probably because Bourdain said it was preferable to filet mignon.)

As for the great "a" or "e" spelling, I go for the "a". meow, meow.

My earliest recollection for the term is 1966. Mom used to buy them. She called them Hanger Steaks. Prolly why I'm not big on 'em today.

There's a major seam down the center of this steak, isn't there? My inclination has always been to remove this. Thoughts?

Nick

There's a major seam down the center of this steak, isn't there?  My inclination has always been to remove this.  Thoughts?

Nick

Nick, I have done some research since beginning this thread and incorrectly naming the steak after a large garage for airplanes (who knew!), and from what I have found you are correct about this "seam" of some connective tissue.

How is it possible to remove this without halving the steak if runs through the entire middle of the steak?

I prefer to grill it intact, to ensure a crusty exterior and a rare interior. Then I either slice across - it's easy enough to eat around the seam - or, for purty, carve out the seam before slicing.

Ron, perhaps your butcher calls it by another name? Or maybe it could be ordered for you.

Generally, I find people don't like to fight with their food. So I tend to remove the seam. It comes off much like skinning fish, though in retrospect you may want to have your butcher do it for you.

The two remaining pieces, after trimming, conist of, to my recollection, one large piece and one small piece. One hanger per person seems a bit much, so I tend to match the pieces up into portions. Cutting as need be.

I'll generally slice the steak on the bias for plating and service. I'm not an expert at this cut, though I have served it about three times over the past season.

Nick

At Les Halles, we halve the steak--cutting along both sides of the center (indigestible) seam, then we butterfly the two halves and give each a light whack or two with a meat mallet. The raggedy bits at the end we trim off and use for onglet salad.

Hanger (it IS "er", from "hanging tender"--despite Les Halles' misspelling) is best grilled (a l'echalotte for instance) or pan seared rare to medium rare--it gets tough beyond that. It does take marinade well--including tandoori-esque yogurt marinades, soy-based, or vinegar based but true onglet fans love that slightly kidneyish flavor--and the somewhat chewy, ropy texture of unadulterated. There are those who adore it when used for tartare. I think they're out of their minds.

abourdain

Ron, perhaps your butcher calls it by another name?  Or maybe it could be ordered for you.

I am going to stop in a couple places and ask this weekend. Surely, they will know what I am talking about. or, perhaps feign ignorance so they can continue to smuggle this tasty little morsel home each night.

Butterflying seems a good technique. I'll have to try it this way. Never thought of yogourt marinades either.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

At Les Halles, we halve the steak--cutting along both sides of the center (indigestible) seam, then we butterfly the two halves and give each a light whack or two with a meat mallet.  The raggedy bits at the end we trim off and use for onglet salad.

Hanger (it IS "er", from "hanging tender"--despite Les Halles' misspelling) is best grilled (a l'echalotte for instance) or pan seared rare to medium rare--it gets tough beyond that. It does take marinade well--including tandoori-esque yogurt marinades, soy-based, or vinegar based but true onglet fans love that slightly kidneyish flavor--and the somewhat chewy, ropy texture of unadulterated. There are those who adore it when used for tartare. I think they're out of their minds.

Thanks Tony,

See Ron, If you're going to steal, steal from the best :smile:

Nick

Tony, I like London broil for steak tartare.

In the first place I ever worked in, my job was to make the steak tartar (it was a menu item at the time). Like you, Cathy we used well trimmed top round, twice ground through the small holes, which seems to be the cut most often used for London Broil.

Nick

That picture looks nothing like the hanger steak I buy to cook at home. The stuff I get looks more like a pork tenderloin -- a long cylinder, but it has the strong flavor and chewy grain of hanger steak. Anyone know what's up with that?

That picture looks nothing like the hanger steak I buy to cook at home. The stuff I get looks more like a pork tenderloin -- a long cylinder, but it has the strong flavor and chewy grain of hanger steak. Anyone know what's up with that?

Maybe your butcher cuts it in half and removes the inedible portion?

I recently cooked a Buffalo hanger steak from D'artagnan. I grilled it on a stove

top griller and finished it in the oven to a doneness of medium rare on the rare

side. It was somewhat chewey and the taste was o.k. I would not get this cut of

Buffalo again. The beef hanger I have cooked was much more flavorful and pleasing

to the palate.

Nick and Cathy. Please tell me you didn't use a meat grinder to make Tartare. Did you then cook it? Were you not worried about the bacteria and enzymes that live in even the cleanest meat grinder? Isn't this why we don't eat sausage tartare? Or raw burgers at jack in the Box?

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

but 1/3 isn't as funny.

also, it was only a hypothesis, and not even one drawn directly from the numbers noted.

but 1/3 isn't as funny.

also, it was only a hypothesis, and not even one drawn directly from the numbers noted.

Curses..... foiled again.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Nick and Cathy. Please tell me you didn't use a meat grinder to make Tartare. Did you then cook it? Were you not worried about the bacteria and enzymes that live in even the cleanest meat grinder? Isn't this why we don't eat sausage tartare? Or raw burgers at jack in the Box?

Sorry coop, In both restos that I used to make it (New York, New York and The Four Seasons) we used a meat grinder. Twice ground. The guts of the attachement were kept clean and cold though and the meat was ground to order. It wasn't something I ever worried about.

Currrently, though I no longer make steak tartar, the guts of my grinder attachments are always cleaned and passed through a "quat" solution before use. Most internal surfaces are hit, so I still wouldn't worry. Should I?

Nick

So I've never heard about hanger (ar) steak so I guess I picked up my nugget today........and I haven't had a laugh like that in awhile, but then it's February in Toronto...You people are a riot!! Thank you very much! :laugh: