• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Cosori Oven Features

IndyRob

I happened across a review of the Cosori 26-quart Ceramic Air Fryer Oven.  It's one of these products that offers just about every cooking mode option you could think of (except steam).  13 of them, they say.  The best review I could find confirmed my suspicions that it doesn't really excel at any of them.  Still, there are a couple that are quite interesting and perhaps unique.

The first is 'air sous vide'.  Now I think this is a real thing, but I always thought it was done in something like a combi-oven with steam.  I did some googling and can't quite come to a conclusion.  But this was brought to mind after reading the recent Helen Rennie sous vide video topic.  Many people in the Youtube comment section objected to sous vide on the basis that plastic was in contact with their food, or that it meant more disposable plastic.  This could be a selling point.

The other thing is that it's lower heating element is a burner.  Yeah, you can put a pan in the bottom and, say, fry an egg or sear a steak.  This is probably most useful only to people who live in hotel rooms, but I wonder what else you could do with it.  You could certainly introduce some steam into baking (the one feature it lacks).

I just wonder if, with some refinement, they might stumble on to something.

• Like 3

Food for “air sous vide” does have to be vacuum sealed.

From pg. 9 of the Cosori deluxe US model cookbook,

IMG_0169.thumb.jpeg.aee2b32987733b79b516a0dfae30ca89.jpeg

and pg. 42 (the only air sous vide recipe in the book)

IMG_0170.thumb.jpeg.aac63845a56e2495f5e50aa929e1815a.jpeg
It also takes a lot more time, 3 hours air sous vide for a 10 oz. unspecified thickness of salmon fillet vs. (per the Joule app) 1 hour for a 1 1/2 inch thick salmon fillet.

Edited by DesertTinker
Added time references (log)
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2024 at 2:56 PM, Franci said:

@DesertTinker thanks, I should have been obvious to me 😆 well, I guess I will stick with what I have and use the water displacement method. And cook in jars…

I have a vac sealer, but rarely use it, favoring the displacement methods that you use.

Another factor to consider is the counter space needed for an oven.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2024 at 11:03 AM, gfweb said:

I have a vac sealer, but rarely use it, favoring the displacement methods that you use.

Another factor to consider is the counter space needed for an oven.

No counter space really! And the little I have I am using for sprouting 😊