• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too Good to Go

There is an app "Too Good to Go" which is designed to help reduce food waste while helping restaurants reduce losses. The concept is that a vendor who signs up for the program (and pays a fee back to TGTG) has "flash sales" on the app where users can buy a mystery bag for a fixed price and a designated pick up window. Typically you are getting the leftover stuff near closing time - for example near my office Krispy Kreme will give you a dozen donuts for $5.73 if you pick them up 9:30-10 p.m. There is a Caribbean restaurant that will give you a meal that includes 1 meat with 2 sides (dealer's choice) for $5.99 to pick up between 7:30-8 p.m. Lots of pizza places sell off random slices later in the day. I'm going to jump on a Whole Foods bag (they have prepared food or bakery) when the opportunity presents, they are very limited in quantity and sell out fast. I've seen some of the hauls that people have gotten and they can be crazy (one person wound up with several containers of coleslaw in their bag) but I've seen people get 2 whole loaves of bread, dozens of muffins, etc. I'm willing to take a chance with certain categories!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I didn't know this app existed.  I downloaded it, but where I live there is not much choice.  Mostly dominated by 1 grocery chain and a donut chain.  There are a couple though, that might be of interest.  Thanks for posting about this.