• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crock-Pot sous vide

gfweb

Only 15 years late to the game, Crockpot has a sous vide bath.

It looks to be the equal of the Sous Vide Supreme at a much lower price.

Only drawback is a limitation to 30 hour cooks

Crock-Pot 7-Quart Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker with Sous Vide,Programmable, Stainless Steel (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Only drawback is a limitation to 30 hour cooks

That's not much of a limitation.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a prep that bathes for even half that long.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Id be interesting , theoretically only , to see the manual and find out what temps the gizmo can actually be set at.

Looks like the low temp is 125℉.

Your wish...https://newellbrands.imgix.net/551101bf-29f9-3484-a543-a247aad894e0/551101bf-29f9-3484-a543-a247aad894e0.pdf

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

on Amazon , there are other brands w SV

id way this is an improvement for those who Crock Cook.

after all , the footprint is similar to older non-SV units .

Im not sure how many non-CP'er would get this to start Crock Potting

ie all day cooking in a stock 

that dont already have a non-SV unit.

but , not a bad idea for the CP crowd few

• Like 3

an aside interest of mine , might be SV style cooking

but dan le bag, and the vac

that delicious , historical , Boef ( or Beef , lamb , veal )  a la  ( suit yourself here )

where the beef et all , is cooked at lower temps , where the protein does not contract

and ' Jus Out '  so many flavors into  the cooking medium , ie the soup.

delicious as the Jus=Stock is , thicker and deduced for Gravy   

and Gravy is a Miraculous invention 

the meat itself , as a result , might be perfectly tender , but alone

irs  [ Sacre Bleu !  Mon Dieu !  dry.  yes , that flavor loss for the meat 

went into the gravy   etc   yes it did.

however ,  thinking of other , easy ways to get that flavor to the Gravy 

wouldn't it be tasty for the meat pieces  to get their own *****  five stars ?

thus  meat  would cook   130 T  probably a bit low  but maybe 135 F  until  ' stew tender  

in stock that would eventually make the gravy ?  but easily ?

bit nutty  , but   a tasty experiment ?

• Like 3

@rotuts, you're exactly describing the attraction my husband and I would have had for this new programmable Crock-Pot. When we married, we brought identical units to the marriage: the original models with "Off" "Low" and "High" settings on the knobs and the warming elements built right into the crock itself. He'd used his frequently as a set-and-forget slow cooker: load it with the goodies, turn it on Low in the morning, go to work, come home to a delicious perfectly cooked set of ribs or beef or whatever.

We got rid of both pots in exchange for a 6-quart cooker with a removable insert, and have never gotten quite the same results. Even its Low setting is too hot. I've lost track of how many smaller, original cookers I've bought at thrift stores. None has worked quite the way his did. We've been on the search for a programmable slow cooker that truly holds its temperature for a number of hours. Most of the cookers we've looked at would cook until the desired internal temperature of a food had been reached, then turn themselves off or set to "keep warm" mode. That wouldn't allow a continued low-and-slow cook needed to turn tough meats tender.

This until looks like it would be just the ticket. Sous vide without the bags and water bath, or else sous vide in the usual way. What's not to love?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy

U agree with you completely .

assuming this unit is both approachable b by cost , foot print longevity , and size 

it might be worth consideration .

I dont think one would add everything initially ,

but in stages , over something that might be longer than a day.

and add ins like stock ( cubes , pastes etc )  would be scrutinized both by flacvor

and more importantly , by sodium content  :  you can't take it out , and want to start w very little 

seems like a unit that would be useful  , with study , in the long run.

im beginning to get a small itch myself 

when its cooler , who knows,

P.S.:  a cautionary note :   the SV low temps and time for meat

might not be the temps for tender veg , esp root veg 

yikes !

an easy solution would be to buy two :  Meat and Veg .  cooked perfectly  by the Button

money-mouth.gif.f54d7f8b8ada22e499c38706cdbeeda4.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 3

Or :

cook the root veg first , water just to cover

165 - 175 F  ?? until just barely tender.

remove , chill

let the bth cool  meat 135 - 40 F until tender.

add back the veg ,  do not increase Temp.

add herbs , dried and fresh

at a point to be determined upon reflection.

take some of the stock out of the pot

thicken , perhaps making a roux ?

refund to the pot.

season then w salt .

wait a bit

enjoy .   

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Does it circulate the water to maintain even temp or is that not actually important?

It does not circulate the water so it apparently relies on convection for that.  I'd say with the heat coming from the large bottom surface, it's probably less of a concern than with an immersion circulator sitting in a corner but I wouldn't want to put in multiple bags separated in a rack like I've seen some people do for sous vide. 

I have no need for a giant 15 pound, 7 qt slow cooker.  It's really huge!  But it has some nice features like that integrated thermometer and the side handles and the clips to secure the lid for transporting.  Though, at close to 30 lbs when full, it's not exactly something I could easily lug around in any case!

• Like 3