• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gas stove top on EveryDay Gourmet , from Australia

rotuts

Im able to see various cooking shonit jus ATK or Cooks

USA PBS

'this show :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2173020/

is from Australis.  there are some mighty fine cooking shows

from AU :   Donna Hay , Food Safari , , Adam Liaw

this show has a lot of 'production '  and etc

however , Ive become intrigued by the gas range :

one burner seems to be much higher than the one next to it.

two pics :

q.thumb.jpg.f29f463b72160f05d36a9de9976a50f6.jpg

w.thumb.jpg.26895cb19d4f04b71752b639110ccc4b.jpg

this seems a bit unusual to me

it might be parallax , but Ive not noticed this on other similarly  produced shows.

any ideas ?

hopefully a very very cold , w ice , Hoponius Union will help clarify the matter

disclaimer :  it is humid here , , made its that.

• Like 2

I wonder if that might be a wok ring atop that particular burner. My best friend's gas stove has one. The configuration is different, but maybe a flat-bottomed pan atop the wok ring would look like that.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

interesting.

whatever this is , that gas range seems to have the pans much higher than ' usual '

I have not noticed this on a few outhit AU show , but might have missed it

looking closer at the stove top :

the gas burners seem to be above the glass ( ? ) surface , 

this the pans are above e that .  looking at the grates that hold the pan above the burner

in relation to the surface  they are significantly higher than the ones I have

it seems all the gas ranges Im used to seeing

have the actual gas-ring  in a recess rather than  starting on the surface.

Odd .  maybe that's the norm in AU ?

it is interesting to see how different ' major ' appliances differ in different countryes

Refrigerators , ovens , stove tops , and even water heating 

some places has point of use water heaters , a d Ive seen heating units 

on some kitchen walls .

again , might only interest me 

drunk.jpeg.4af7abfe575aa9626d44a2b3c437d4b6.jpeg

Oh no, @rotuts, I find appliances in other countries to be fascinating. My first trip to The British Isles, and then continental Europe, was quite the eye-opener.  Here's hoping that one of our Australian connections can shed some light on you question about the stove. @haresfur? @Captain?

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Excwllwnt

Ive also noticed w cooking show that are more ' produced '

ie are aiming a certain demographic 

have top of the line , almost industrial , appliances 

Wolf , etc    im sure the equipment on these ' sets '     and they are sets 

was donated for publicity purposes .

what the general pulsation uses can be quite different.

• Like 1

My new LG gas stove has a central burner like that. I don't think it's measurably higher than the others, but it has 2 rings for flames. If you turn on both of them it sounds like a jet engine, so I rarely turn it all the way up. I used it for wok cooking and for quickly heating my canning kettle. Supposedly it can be used with a comal but I prefer putting that on 2 burners for more even heating.

By the way, all the talk about eliminating gas stoves will work only in the US and other countries with relatively low electrical rates. Electricity is much too expensive in Mexico for anything electric--portable heaters, stoves--so everyone uses gas (or wood) for cooking. It's a 3-rate system: the lowest usage gets the lowest rate, much of which is government subsidized, and at the upper rate it's eye-wateringly high. And if you dip into the highest rate in one month you're stuck with that rate for 12 months regardless of whether your normal usage is lower. We spend a lot of time turning off lights even though we've converted to LEDs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Even my kinda cheap Mexican-brand Mabe stove has that same two ring burner.  

@Nancy in Pátzcuaro  We went solar in 2017 at our Ajijic home.  Payback was fast, less than 3 years.  We now pay 70 pesos every two months for our electricity (under 4 US bucks).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im able to see various cooking shonit jus ATK or Cooks

USA PBS

'this show :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2173020/

is from Australis.  there are some mighty fine cooking shows

from AU :   Donna Hay , Food Safari , , Adam Liaw

this show has a lot of 'production '  and etc

however , Ive become intrigued by the gas range :

one burner seems to be much higher than the one next to it.

two pics :

q.thumb.jpg.f29f463b72160f05d36a9de9976a50f6.jpg

w.thumb.jpg.26895cb19d4f04b71752b639110ccc4b.jpg

this seems a bit unusual to me

it might be parallax , but Ive not noticed this on other similarly  produced shows.

any ideas ?

hopefully a very very cold , w ice , Hoponius Union will help clarify the matter

disclaimer :  it is humid here , , made its that.

Not familiar with that particular cooktop but it is almost certainly European like all other moderate to high end products here. It seems to be basically a wok burner being used for other high btu cooking. I have moved away from using mine to sear meat because the oil spatter tends to ignite the pan in a somewhat terrifying way. Still good for getting a large canning pot going.

Here are a few photos of my Asko. The first shows the wok burner with the wok ring on. I have a flat bottom wok so I don't use that. Also it isn't the highest power burner so I use both rings. It is set up to use either the central wok flame alone or both. I would rather it was set up to use either the outer ring or both so I could adjust the wide heat without having the wok flame scorch the centre. The second photo shows both flames going. Guess I need to clean some jets. The third is just the wok flame.

The anodised metal pan below the burners is very shallow and reasonably easy to clean. That is one of the things that attracted me over Bosch and Miele (note we had problems with the Asko electric oven and replaced it with a Bosch.) 

Last time I was in the store that supplied it, they had a version with a gas wok burner and induction for the others.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5eb891bfb5e0cc2381c09b619ea7417.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bd81eecd717e278b8e48c2c26c35a73d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a5919f1adc08412ba1914494a8e14e99.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

thanks @haresfur

the other thing I noticed in the video , is that the pans , placed on the ' trivet '

is much higher off the surface than cook tops here , where the burner is recessed 

it seems in there video the burners are not recessed

I couldn't quite tell , on your model are the burners recessed realative to the surface ?

thank you for your input .

13 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

We're looking at that but for other reasons--we want to use a heat pump for our badly-installed in-floor heat. But getting rid of the CFE bills would be the cherry on top.

We had a mini-split installed in our main BR and it has heating element as well.  It hasn't increased our electric bills, but we did add a few solar panels to support it.  It's the only heat/cooling we have in house, other than very inefficient gas fireplaces which get used 2 or 3 weeks a year. Mini=splits are pretty inexpensive in MX.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

thanks @haresfur

the other thing I noticed in the video , is that the pans , placed on the ' trivet '

is much higher off the surface than cook tops here , where the burner is recessed 

it seems in there video the burners are not recessed

I couldn't quite tell , on your model are the burners recessed realative to the surface ?

thank you for your input .

The the round area you can see around the burners are slightly raised above the surface. It is hard to tell from the photos. I like that because gunk tends to flow away from the burner rather than in underneath where it will remain forever. The burner assemblies pull out for cleaning. They are a touch finnicky to get back seated properly. No real problem but it can be a bit surprising if they are not correct. I really like the shallow pan and the anodised surface. I confess to not taking a lot of care cleaning the trivets but they don't accumulate too much goo.

As is common here, the oven is a separate unit mounted in the bench underneath.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.