• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Names

gulfporter

In the 70s we went to a cheezy tourist restaurant in Tijuana and their menu had 3 sections labelled MOO, OINK and PEEP.  I always thought that'd be a great name for a restaurant, though I guess nowadays I'd add, GRAZE. 

All us foodies had/have dreams of what we'd name a restaurant if we could (oh, wait, that's just me with that dream???).

What's yours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are several restaurants in English speaking countries called 'Graze'. I've been to two.

A few called 'Moo' or 'Oink'. A chain of restaurants called 'Le Peep'.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

In Glasgow, Scotland there is (or was) a restaurant called Local Scran and Swally, Scots slang for Local Food and Drink.

scranandswally.thumb.jpg.6ead18d0135d7068c0cceb88c0c12d28.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

Mark Twain

... and this one, also in Scotland. The cafe is located at the rear of an Aldi's supermarket. In the dialect, 'Back of Aldi's' is pronounced like the faux-Italian Bacchialdi's.

bacchialdi's.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mark Twain

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

There was for many years a casual spot in our Castro neighborhood called "Squat and Gobble".     Amusing, yes, but a turn off for me.

We've eaten there!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I seem to remember a couple of decades or so ago, there was a place in San Francisco (Financial District, I think) called Asta. I don't remember the food, but they had TVs all over that showed old Nick & Nora movies all the time. And if you don't know who Asta, Nick & Nora are, please keep your trap shut and don't make me feel old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

3 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I seem to remember a couple of decades or so ago, there was a place in San Francisco (Financial District, I think) called Asta. I don't remember the food, but they had TVs all over that showed old Nick & Nora movies all the time. And if you don't know who Asta, Nick & Nora are, please keep your trap shut and don't make me feel old.

Well, my daughter just turned 31 and she can quote extensively from that series. So there's that...

(When she was 10, I saw here futzing at the computer one day with her little MP3 player plugged in; she was making a playlist of "a few of my favorite Cab Calloway songs" for her best friend to check out).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

This photo was taken in 2022 in Barcelona.  We happened by it on a night it was closed and we were departing the next morning.  Not sure if it will make it past the moderators, but it is a legit photo that I took. 

mfr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3