• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Seattle

Hi All, I am Roshani from Seattle Washington. I am originally from Sri Lanka, a small island nation :). I am huge foodie and love trying out and developing new recipes. I share my recipes in my blog HungryLankan (Not added a link since i am not sure if that is ok or not).

I love any kind of food but more familiar with Sri Lankan cuisine since that is what i grew up with. Hoping to read all about others food adventures and share mine with others here.

• Like 7

Recipe Blog: hungrylankan

Foodie from Sri Lanka

Welcome from an ex Seattleite, well, actually from Bellevue but I love Seattle and one thing about it that I miss is the endless variety of food that is available. I now live in Costa Rica and every time I think about Seattle I feel deprived.

I don't know if you are allowed to put a link to your blog but I know that I can. I just spent the last 45 minutes reading all 16 pages of the recipe index. I am totally intrigued. I know nothing about the food of Sri Lanka but your pictures are gorgeous and I have read through some of the recipes and they are concise and easy to follow. Thank you. It is one of the best sites that I have read in the last few years. Everything is right to the point and not cluttered with advertising.

Again, welcome. As you clearly love food, you have come to the right place and I'm looking forward to your contributions.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

ආයුබෝවන් සහ සාදරයෙන් පිළිගනිමු

வணக்கம் மற்றும் வரவேற்கிறோம்

Hello and Welcome!

Your small island nation is one of the most beautiful I have visited and I have wonderful memories of the food. Seafood and coconut - what's not to love? Like others, I am looking forward to your participation here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, Roshani said:

I live in Bothell

I know it well, at least I used to. When we first moved there I lived on the mountain(?) between Bothell and Kirkland. Two of the places that I miss most are Pike Place Market and the International District. Between the two, it is possible to buy spices and ingredients from anywhere in the world.

@Tropicalsenior I do love the international district too, but for spices i bring most of them from Sri Lanka when i travel or there are couple of websites that import Sri Lankan products into US.

@pastrygirl Unfortunately there are no Sri Lankan restaurants in Seattle or close by, There is one restaurant in Vancouver which has several Sri Lankan dishes "Kurumba Restaurant" in Port Moody, I have only been to that once and tried the Chiken Kottu and Beef Kottu and they were so good, I would say very close to good ones you find in Sri Lanka. Kottu is very popular dish in Sri Lanka.

• Like 4

Foodie from Sri Lanka

10 hours ago, Roshani said:

for spices i bring most of them from Sri Lanka when i travel

Do you get to go back often?

It is almost 50 years since I visited Sri Lanka but the memories are stiil strong. I'd love to go back.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou I normally try to visit every 2-3 years to see my parents and relatives. The city life has changed a lot in the past couple decades but rural areas and places tourists visits are still pretty much the same, a little more crowded maybe.

• Thanks 1

Foodie from Sri Lanka

Welcome. Many years ago I went to a Sri Lankan restaurant in Minneapolis. The food was amazing. The menu had strong instructions to people who hadn't eaten there before not to order hotter than medium and that they would bring you condiments to adjust the heat upward. These were indeed hot but also had exquisite flavour so I ended up eating very spicy food, just because they were so good.

• Like 6

It's almost never bad to feed someone.