• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Chops

helenas

Here in NJ we have all the snow necessary to justify a hearty meal. After a visit to Wegmans i ended up with gorgeous bone-in 1 inch thick pork chops. I'd like to marinade them (garlic, thyme, lemon?), brown on the stove, finish in the oven on top of potato boulangere and or some roasted mushrooms.

As i must admit i haven't tried to prepare pork chops before, i need your advice:

should i brown them over high or medium heat?

is dusting with flour needed?

How long in the oven?

Thank you.

Dusting with flour should not be needed. If you're going to brown them, I'd sear them quickly on high, to lock in juices, otherwise, they'll just cook on the stovetop, then overcooked once they're in the oven. For bone in 1 in thick chops, I'm thinking about 30-40 minutes at 325 more or less.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

When it comes to pork chops, I like 'em medium rare to medium. Through a week long experiment of six chops prepared in different maners I've found I like to cook them like a steak. Put your cast iron in the oven at 500, when everything's up to temp, throw your chops in and cook 4 1/2 minutes a side. You'll have beautifully tender chops.

I only brined mine, but you marinades of garlic, rosemary, evoo, soy sauce and sri racha are pretty tasty.

I like to make a pan sauce while the chops are resting. Deglaze with favorite wine, add a clove or two of garlic, maybe some onions and when everything's reduced to almost a paste, I add a ton of butter and/or cream. Damn! Now I need some chops.

consider braising.  i did this on a whim the other day and was very pleased with the results.

Actually, i just found milk-braised chops with fingerlings in "One potato, two potato" book.

I can throw some mushrooms in.

What was your braising liquid?

No milk in the house, can i dilute cream with chicken broth? :unsure:

Actually, i just found milk-braised chops with fingerlings in "One potato, two potato" book.

I can throw some mushrooms in.

What was your braising liquid?

No milk in the house, can i dilute cream with chicken broth? :unsure:

i just had some chopped onion and celery, a bay leaf, red wine, chix broth, head of garlic, and that's pretty much it. did a quite high heat sear on the chops after seasoning with s/p.

I'd sear them quickly on high, to lock in juices, otherwise,

sorry Marlene, this lock in juices thing isn't true. Heston Blumenthal gave a good explanation here.

If you want more information read Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking

I'm so confused... :blink: Well that throws my suggestion out the window. Disregard and carry on!

Marlene

that throws my suggestion out the window

not at all dear.

you'll still want a nice caramelized outside. start with a nice hot pan, place in pork and put in the oven. keep turning it to color evenly. still confused?

Got it! :biggrin:

Marlene

Helena:

One of my favorite garnishes for pork chops is also one of the simplest. Fresh horseradish grated (I use microplaner) into unsweetened natural applesauce, which is what is served on the side of both pork and Tafelspitz (Austrian Yankee pot roast, basically) in Austria and Bavaria. This is delicious with all kinds of hot or cold meats.

Careful with the horseradish though! :shock:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Helena:

One of my favorite garnishes for pork chops is also one of the simplest.  Fresh horseradish grated (I use microplaner) into unsweetened natural applesauce, which is what is served on the side of both pork and Tafelspitz (Austrian Yankee pot roast, basically) in Austria and Bavaria.  This is delicious with all kinds of hot or cold meats.

Careful with the horseradish though! :shock:

Katie - that sounds fabulous. AND easy. Two of my very favorite things!

Thanks so much for this tip.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I mentioned this on the Thorne Q&A, but will repeat it here.

I adapted a recipe from last month's gourmet. A basic sear and finish in the oven approach, but the only part worth repeating is using French hard cider (only 5% and fizzy...also cheap at $5/bottle) to deglaze. Really goes well with pork.

Next time I'm using Klink's technique and adding a bit of cream or creme fraiche, too.

mmmmm....pork chops

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 1 year later...

I'm coming into a lot of pork chops. They will be mostly center and rib chops, grown by a farmer in southern MN who grows a few pigs to satisfy self and friends. His pork is excellent, and a far cry from that way too lean, rather tasteless supermarket stuff.

Need ideas, please!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Invite eGulleters?

Good pork chops are so delicious on their own that I really hate to jazz them up with much other than salt and pepper to set off their natural flavor. Grill them or sear them off and cook to just under medium.

Elsewise, I would say smoke some if you have access to a smoker. You may also want to peek at the brining course on eGCI.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You may also want to peek at the brining course on eGCI.

yes yes. by all means brine for a few hours. i've found a big difference with brining pork chops. and please don't overcook. pink is your friend. who doesn't like seeing pink on the inside? olive oil and rosemary is so overdone, but so simple and good (s/p of course). i think i'll have pork for lunch.

and then again you could just make a whole friggin bunch of larb and invite us all over. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)