• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

Ghee-Basted Hasseltots topped with sour cream and bacon from The Global Pantry Cookbook and scrambled eggs

E167DC11-54A6-4665-B824-F231BDD02078_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7d464f5c79b51a05e146037610332d84.jpeg

The little spuds are in the snacks and appetizer section of this cookbook but I figured they'd be fine for breakfast, too. 

It would be a little tedious do up a couple dozen of them but they are quite cute.  Here's a couple out of the oven, without toppings:

D5AF8274-0D8A-473D-9EC0-5CA82CDAEDE5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fe97cba8d59f38e7ac9c974e7f562ab8.jpeg

They get basted with ghee three times so they're quite buttery and tasty.  Caviar and crème fraîche is one of the suggested topping combos and would be excellent washed down with some nice Champagne!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@blue_dolphin I'm assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong, those potatoes are the golf ball sized ones sold in my area under the name 'Itty Bitty Potato Co.' or 'Little Gems' Looks good and I plan on giving it a try the next time I pick up a bag.

21247301001_front_a06_@2.thumb.png.4c303fbea475676c0571b8245e5e36af.png

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@blue_dolphin I'm assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong, those potatoes are the golf ball sized ones sold in my area under the name 'Itty Bitty Potato Co.' or 'Little Gems' Looks good and I plan on giving it a try the next time I pick up a bag.

Yes, that’s the right kind. They’re quite tasty - crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Mmmmm!

• Thanks 1

Savory Corn-on-Corn Pancakes with Butter-Basted Eggs from The Global Pantry Cookbook

C174A963-5D2C-414E-9454-36F9B8236187_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.758d4a564075251d408b6d728922d7ed.jpeg

I was curious to try these pancakes made with masa harina.  I used the stuff from Masienda and they have a great corny flavor but are very light and fluffy as compared with a cornmeal cake that's usually heavier and sometimes a bit gritty. These would be great with either a sweet or savory topping.  

The corn topping has corn, scallions, jalapeño and red pepper, all sautéed in butter and seasoned with Tajín.

Edited by blue_dolphin
correcting the autocorrect! (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

I tried to come up with a Mc..... name for this but couldn't.

Egg scrambled with red Thai chilis and green onions with kielbasa and pepper jack on a toasted ciabatta roll.

Orange, kiwi and strawberries on the side.

DSCN1907.thumb.JPG.6a7f7d36167510d9b47baae27bd86d06.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Moe's breakfast.
I cut the narrow end off of the pork tenderloin last night before roast and cut four small medallions.
PorkschnitzelApril12th2024.thumb.jpg.601ef96ac0bb19a0b43b5ed690cdc257.jpg

Pounded out this morning and breaded them to make Jagerschnitzel. Schnitzel with a mushroom sauce.
Served with rice and some of the leftover braised red cabbage.
I'm taking the same thing for lunch.
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

I made this yesterday and liked it so much I made it again today: Eric Kim's Gyeran Bap (Egg Rice). Gift link.  As he says, that looks like a LOT of roasted seaweed, but you stir it all together before you eat it so the egg yolk and seaweed all get integrated. The seaweed cooks down to much less, just like spinach.  Yesterday I did the recipe as written. Today I cooked the egg in chili crisp, a technique I've been wanting to try, and I liked the results.  I think this is going on my regular rotation. Making one rice cup in my rice cooker yesterday resulted in enough for three breakfasts, so I'm all set for tomorrow! I used the technique of heating the leftover rice in the microwave with a damp paper towel over it and it worked well enough, especially given everything else going on here. (Though that may horrify some people?)

Trust me, there's rice underneath all that!

image.thumb.jpeg.c0593641c3b1e013f0be6ea1d7acf381.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for bringing that recipe up, @NadyaDuke. Not sure how I haven't tried it yet as Eric's single-serving recipes usually suck me in! 

I really enjoy them too! I'm having an Eric Kim kind of weekend - I had one of his single serve recipes for dinner last night too. My husband doesn't usually eat breakfast beyond some yogurt, and it's fun for me to branch out from my like three typical breakfasts. 

P.S. If you've tried his risotto for one recipe I linked, I'd love to hear your take on it. 

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 2

Breakfast wrap of eggs, Thai and finger peppers, green onion, spinach, cilantro and pepper jack on a 'spinach tortilla'.

Mix of strawberries, grapefruit and orange on the side.

GreenOnionSpinchhThaiandFingerPepperandPepperJackWrap.thumb.JPG.9b3e9dd612318d643b050c20be63af84.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Egg, kielbasa, tomato, spinach, green onion, pepper jack and a squirt of sriracha on a toasted ciabatta roll. 

Mixed fruit and cranberry juice on the side.

EggKielbasaTomatoSpinachGr.OnionandPepperJackonCiabatta.thumb.JPG.eb3a868e17a9178a9921602db5f56d9f.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

A fairly ragged mushroom and cheese omelette and rye toast. I don’t usually make omelettes, I default to scrambles or frittatas. But I had some nice criminis to use up and they demanded to be pan roasted and omeletted.  I do have a small pan that is just right for a two egg omelette so maybe I’ll work on my technique.

IMG_1393.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I really liked the concept behind @NadyaDuke's recent breakfast so tried a riff of my own.

Bowl with mushroom couscous as a base with blistered shishito peppers, a runny egg, nori, green onion tops and a very liberal grinding of black pepper. This was good and I'll try it with rice. Enjoyed with kiwi, strawberries and yogurt.

DSCN1921.thumb.JPG.5f9449c890d0badcca7b7e2c56a8dd26.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

Eggs for breakfast but perhaps not in the typical manner.  

Cabbage Carbonara-ish from Tenderheart by Hetty Lui McKinnon.  

C39CE959-BE11-41AC-9E32-A957B325A33A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d942d02694a6cde4f27e9510d53588f2.jpeg

No meat but a bit of miso adds a hit of umami that makes this taste surprisingly carbonara-ish.

I made this per the recipe except for using 2 oz pasta/serving instead of 4. With about 150g of cabbage/serving, I didn't miss the extra pasta.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I really liked the concept behind @NadyaDuke's recent breakfast so tried a riff of my own.

Bowl with mushroom couscous as a base with blistered shishito peppers, a runny egg, nori, green onion tops and a very liberal grinding of black pepper. This was good and I'll try it with rice. Enjoyed with kiwi, strawberries and yogurt.

DSCN1921.thumb.JPG.5f9449c890d0badcca7b7e2c56a8dd26.JPG

That looks great! I should try some riffs on this. I’ve got a big package of seafood to work through.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday's lunch was the Virtuous Vegan Harissa Tofu Bowl with Farro from The Global Pantry Cookbook.  Yes, good grief on the recipe name.  

And yet, I made the leftovers even more virtuous by cooking up more vegetables to throw in with my reheated bowl:

C0EE48DD-0C7D-4F4E-871C-31CEB247BB5F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0cd5e46345f09ab72bf75bfcedfdd062.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast sandwich of 2 eggs with shrimp, 2 green Thai chilis, green onion, Italian parsley and dill formed into a square omelet (squomelet?) on a ciabatta bun with spinach, tomato and pepper jack. With a mix of orange, grapefruit and strawberries.

DSCN1930.thumb.JPG.7f09d1c9fa6ef636ee64a1bef90fc921.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1