• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

On 7/14/2024 at 9:35 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Beans on toast, Caesar-style:

561E8F47-EA61-49E1-89CA-C84B8F567BDA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9a18e8a325272a4fc145438c29afb12e.jpeg

Rancho Gordo caballero beans tossed with Caesar dressing and chopped little gem lettuce, spooned on toast rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil and butter and topped with Parmesan.

That's nice.  I've been looking for some variety in my sandos, and this is inspiring, esp. with the beans as I've just recently started exploring and experimenting with them.  Did you use actual Parmesan cheese or a Reggiano.  The crystallization suggests to me Reggiano, but maybe an older Parmesan?

... Shel

2 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

That's nice.  I've been looking for some variety in my sandos, and this is inspiring, esp. with the beans as I've just recently started exploring and experimenting with them.  Did you use actual Parmesan cheese or a Reggiano.  The crystallization suggests to me Reggiano, but maybe an older Parmesan?

It's an Italian Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio (meaning aged at least 3 years) from Trader Joe's. It was $16.99/lb and the flavor is very good. They tend to have those older Parms around the holidays so I stock up. Not sure if it’s still in stores or not. 

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's an Italian Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio (meaning aged at least 3 years) from Trader Joe's. It was $16.99/lb and the flavor is very good. They tend to have those older Parms around the holidays so I stock up. Not sure if it’s still in stores or not. 

TJ's has some decent cheeses and some good deals.  I sometimes purchase Reggiano there both for convenience and the smaller size pieces which are easier to grate in some situations.  Mostly I buy Stravecchio at Costco (it's always available) as it's only $12.99 per lb.  Gotta buy a big chunk, though, about 1.5 lbs.

Some years back, our local Whole Foods had a wheel of 54-month-old Reggiano and was selling chunks at a very good price ... Mr. Plastic did his job well that day.

Reggiano Trivia:  The oldest wheel ever opened was 23 years old.  It was opened at a charity event in Barcelona in November of 2023.

... Shel