• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St Patricks Day

Lady S

I am looking for a place to have dinner on St Patrick's Day. Ten of us usually get together. There don't seem to be many places where they do a real 'Irish' dinner - corned beef and cabbage for instance, perhaps with entertainment. The Quiet Man in Dover doesn't take reservations and that's essential. We have tried the Grand Cafe in Morristown in the past because they have Irish dancing, but we would like a change. Please help.

There don't seem to be many places where they do a real 'Irish' dinner

yeah...hmm...i wonder why. :laugh:

just kidding. i'm irish, so i'm allowed to make fun of the food. but seriously, nothing comes to mind 'cept the argyle in kearney, but that's really more scottish/english fare. and it falls on a monday this year, so your options will be further limited (unless you're planning to celebrate on the weekend).

or, you might try cryan's in s. orange.

I would suggest one of the Grasshoppers -- Wayne, the one by Giants Stadium or one in Cedar Grove I think. But if you want a really nice place, try The Porter House on Kinderkamack Road in Montvale. I've eaten dinner there (very good), but more importantly, I've seen the All-Ireland hurling and football finals there with the full Irish breakfasts. But seriously, dinner there will be very good. Ask for a table in the Cottage area. Yeah, it's smoking, but SO much cooler than the regular dining room. You might luck out and catch a seisiun.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions to give, but I wanted to tap this thread for a related question. If anyone finds an Irish restaurant serving boxty, I'd like to hear about it. A friend of mine recently came back from the gulf coast of Florida with some boxty tales and I'm trying to find a place to sample them.

And boxty is..............................?????????????

Well, the recipe that Jon linked to seems to be the right direction, but they were described to me as spherical and deep-fried. Which is a little more appealing to me actually! :laugh:

Here's a little blurb from Darina Allen on boxty.

Darina Allen's Boxty

In her book, Traditional Irish Cooking, Darina says that the recipe might have originated in the late 18th or early 19th centuries when the potato harvests began to fail and boxty became a way of using poor quality potatoes. She says that the flesh of the potato, sometimes even rotting, was put into a cloth and the liquid squeezed out. The pulp in the cloth was then shaped into cakes and baked on a griddle.

mmmmmmmmmm. boxty. :wacko:

I actually had a meal at Gallagher's Boxty House in the Temple Bar area of Dublin. I know, I know, boxty is for tourists. But it was a cold, wet, December day and the thin boxty pancakes, like a substantial crepe, were filled with a stew and were deliciously satisfying.

But I'd prefer a big bowl of Champ any day...........!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I saw an ad recently for the grand opening of O'Halloran's Irish Pub at 558 New Brunswick Ave., in Fords. (732) 738-1300. It's a full restaurant, from what I can tell, but I have not been there yet, so I can't say how good it is.

They're closed Mondays, by the way, although I am guessing that won't be the case on St. Patty's Day.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Kelly's Tavern - Hwy 35 Neptune City, NJ

Extremely popular place on St. Patrick's Day. Excellent Corned Beef dinners and lots of entertainment. Due to the massive crowds the food will be served on plastic dinnerware, menu will be limited and finding a seat will be next to impossible, but it definitely is one of the wildest parties in New Jersey on St. Pat's Day. If you live in the area I definitely suggest you give it a try.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

I am looking for a place to have dinner on St Patrick's Day. Ten of us usually get together. There don't seem to be many places where they do a real 'Irish' dinner - corned beef and cabbage for instance, perhaps with entertainment. .

Actually this is a traditional American dinner eaten on St. Patricks day. Irish folk from Ireland don't know about this corned beef and cabbage stuff...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak