• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

September strawberries - like who'da thunk it - but dang delish....

AlaMoi

earlier this week (Aug 30...) a local produce stand had strawberries from Quebec.

an obscene amount of local strawberries were lost to the wet wet wet weather here - the simply rotted on the vine . . .

previous years, seen the 'really dang good harvest' extended with Canadian berries - but this late? and yet this good?

strawberry shortcake all around !!

• Like 3

nada clue - Country of Origin:  Quebec Canada.

stellar berries, the last half has been sliced and will be devoured tomorrow . . .

in our area, June is the big strawberry month.  creeping to New England,,, into July.

but September?  even in Canada that is a spectacular thing - and as good as they are . . . I'll be guzzling all them I can . . .

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

in our area, June is the big strawberry month.  creeping to New England,,, into July.

but September?  even in Canada that is a spectacular thing

I have everbearing strawberries in my little garden and just like the local commercial growers, they produce in June and early July and then a second crop in August-September. They just take a brief rest in between. It's not that unusual here to see the second crop extend into early October. I still have blossoms on my plants as well as ripe fruit. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

Pick your own berries

They don’t call it the “garden of Québec” for nothing. The fertile soil of the Île d’Orléans means abundant produce: corn, potatoes, rhubarb, pumpkins, tomatoes, and, above all, berries, including strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. You’ll be stopping and sampling from the ubiquitous fruit stands, but if you’re one to get in on the action, make a stop at Ferme Léonce Plante. The pick-your-own berry farm grows the unique Authentic Orleans strawberry variety that’s known for its antioxidants and found only on the island. (Strawberry-picking season runs roughly from late June through mid-October.)

14 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I have everbearing strawberries in my little garden and just like the local commercial growers, they produce in June and early July and then a second crop in August-September. They just take a brief rest in between. It's not that unusual here to see the second crop extend into early October. I still have blossoms on my plants as well as ripe fruit. 

Same in the Fraser Valley. Phase two lasts well into the end of September or early October.

• Like 1