• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just when you think you have seen it all...stir-fried stones.

TicTac

Shades of the famous "stone soup" of yore. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 hours ago, FeChef said:

To be fair, When i eat pistachio's i like to open the shells in my mouth and suck out the salt and pistachio skin.

But would you PAY for a bowl of sauteed pistachio shells!?

🤣

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TicTac said:

But would you PAY for a bowl of sauteed pistachio shells!?

🤣

Depends. Is it a pureed pastachio soup with the shells added back in to suck the pureed pistachios out? If im being honest, i think i would!

Would you pay for a bowl of clam chowder with the clam shells added back into the soup so you can use them as a spoon to slurp the clam chowder?

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Confused 1

I first heard of this in the late 1970 / early 80s. It seems to have originated originated during Mao's 'Great Leap Forward'  (1958-1961) during which millions starved to death due to a man-made (Mao-made) famine. People knew it didn't help but maybe took comfort from some psychological effect. Estimates for the fatalities range from 30-55 million. Still in living memory so nothing really to LOL about.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/great-leap-forward.asp

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This reminds me so much of a German fairy tale in a book that my grandmother had. One little old lady in a small village had nothing left to eat so she put a stone in a big pot of water and invited all the neighbors for stone soup. She asked everyone to bring at least one thing to put in the soup. One neighbor had a carrot, one  had a tiny piece of meat and so on. By combining everything they had they finally wound up with a nutritious soup. It was so successful that they continued until spring came and everybody survived through that winter. A beautiful uplifting fairy tale??

My grandmother cried every time she read that story to us. She was only 4 ft 8, the result of growing up on a starvation diet. For all the millions that died in China I'm sure that there are many more millions of people that were physically stunted and mentally traumatized the rest of their lives. There is nothing funny about hunger.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

For all the millions that died in China I'm sure that there are many more millions of people that were physically stunted and mentally traumatized the rest of their lives.

Most certainly. I've met some of them.

• Sad 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Another "stone soup" popped up in EaterLA today. I've seen the technique in other countries. This refers to a Oaxacaliforia restaurant. " Cruz is the only one in LA doing caldo de piedra (stone soup). It consists of shrimp, fish, onions, chiles, tomatoes, cilantro, and epazote loaded into a jícara (gourd) and rapidly boiled by a hot river stone that’s dropped into the soup."

41 minutes ago, heidih said:

I've seen the technique in other countries.

This was a fairly widespread method of cooking for most Indigenous North Americans. Varied from being done in woven watertight baskets to sealed birch bark vessels to cured hide vessels to whatever worked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot