• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gochujang Sauce - How mild is "MILD"

Kim Shook

Jessica wants to use gochujang in some dishes she is interested in trying.  But she's cooking for three of us and our various levels of heat tolerance (or how much stunt eating we're willing to engage in 😄).  She has seen "mild" gochujang online and was wondering just how mild mild is.  If anyone can offer some insight here, I'd very much appreciate it.  To give you an idea of our levels, Mr. Kim is stunt eater extraordinaire - he will turn red and start to sweat and declare it "delicious", Jessica likes probably a medium-low level of spice (she prefers the flavor of mild wings, but can manage medium) and I sometimes find BBQ sauce a bit too much.  

Is her mind set on gochujang - so she want the spice/heat ? If she is after the fermented part, with just a bit of spice, maybe ssamjang is a good start. It contains gochujang, but is usually quite mild, as dienhang, sesame oil, suhar etc is mixed iny It has, however, this distinct Korean fermented food tang. Despite initial fears, my (heat-intolerant) fanily has embraced ssamjang, while gochujang is still only for me …

• Thanks 2

Gosh I've never considered it hot. More light red pepper with some sweet and funk. It is cheap. What dishes is she interested in? Maybe have her grab a red tub and taste test. Better than guessing what hot means to you guys with varying taste buds.

• Thanks 1

I'm not a chili head and wouldn't down the extra spicy gochujang by the spoonful but I do enjoy using the regular version in cooking.

I'd encourage Jessica to go ahead and prepare a small portion of something simple with the mild gochujang that you guys can taste with care as a pilot project. 

A little gochujang mixed in mayo makes a tasty dip for tater tots or french fries and would be easy to mix up. 

Eric Kim's Gochujang Buttered Noodles are dead simple and he gives instructions for making a single serving which Jessica could cook up and you could try. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

She has seen "mild" gochujang online and was wondering just how mild mild is.  If anyone can offer some insight here, I'd very much appreciate it.

The problem is there is no 'official' definition of 'mild'. Every producer's brand will be different. What I think is mild, you probably wouldn't. The only way to decide is to try it.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

If you are sensitive to spicy heat levels, even considered 'mild', I would have a back-up plan. Something vegetable like roasted red bell peppers and/or apple sauce. (blendered together). Even a sweet red pepper based pureed vegetable soup. 

I say that because my preferred gochugaru, Korean red pepper flake, is considered mild. 10,000 positive amazon reviews--1% say it is not spicy at all so I waisted my money. 20%, just a guess, say be careful as it is soo spicy. "you can always add more". The majority say it is perfect. Not to spicy or too mild. Not a palate killer. We are in that camp. 

That said, I. just made a batch of chili crisp last night. Perfect for us. I tasted a full tBs of the crispy bits and very mild heat. A Kimchi batch I made last weekend was also mild but I dumped another half cup and had to add more cabbage and transfer to a bigger bowl. Still too spicy using the same gochugaru so I need to pick up another cabbage. 

I mention vegetables like red bell peppers because I was looking at 'mild' kimchi recipes before the holidays for my family. Also called kid friendly. The benefits of fermentation without the spicy heat. I also looked at commercially made mild kimchi and saw sweet red pepper flake and apple juice. I'm guessing the apple juice will ferment to an AC vinegar. 

A tomato based sauce like marinara might be too assertive but you could still enjoy the meal. 

*gochugang is made from gochugaru. The powdered into a paste. I'm using the chili 'flake'. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 12.14.14 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Thanks 1

There’s gochugang and there’s gochugang sauce. The paste is “use in moderation” spicy, and the sauce, at least the one I had, is pretty mild. I can’t tell you what brand I had, because I used the last of mine two or three weeks ago and tossed the bottle.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This is what I have:

Left to right,  gochujang mild, gochujang sauce and gochujang hot.  The sauce is actually labeled as a paste but John use it as a sauce.

20230518_153617.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed the line-up (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1