• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2023

BeeZee

Making my grocery list, we are having a delayed seder dinner on Friday with the family due to work/geography challenges. My mother is preparing/bringing brisket (she brings it in her slow cooker, so we just need to plug it in to reheat). Stepson's wife is making roasted vegetables. Uncle probably bringing wine (he didn't ask, but that's his usual). Sis is bringing fresh fruit for dessert and wine (since she often no-shows at the last minute, I've learned not to depend on her for any critical items). I'm making chicken soup/matzoh balls, basic apple/walnut charoset, chicken marbella (although I may swap out apricots for the prunes), roasted Yukon Gold potatoes, and apple crisp which uses matzoh meal in lieu of oat/flour topping. Store-bought macaroons.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

47 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Making my grocery list, we are having a delayed seder dinner on Friday with the family due to work/geography challenges. My mother is preparing/bringing brisket (she brings it in her slow cooker, so we just need to plug it in to reheat). Stepson's wife is making roasted vegetables. Uncle probably bringing wine (he didn't ask, but that's his usual). Sis is bringing fresh fruit for dessert and wine (since she often no-shows at the last minute, I've learned not to depend on her for any critical items). I'm making chicken soup/matzoh balls, basic apple/walnut charoset, chicken marbella (although I may swap out apricots for the prunes), roasted Yukon Gold potatoes, and apple crisp which uses matzoh meal in lieu of oat/flour topping. Store-bought macaroons.

It sounds like quite a good feast. I hope we can see photos later!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I made a 6 lb. brisket for tonight's 2nd night dinner...

IMG_8954.thumb.jpeg.2724cd2f451ca992f0cdabe2dc9372e4.jpeg

It looks like this after its 3.5 hour covered braise. After resting overnight, it has been defatted, the brisket is sliced, and I'm currently playing with the gravy/braising liquid. Some of the carrots and celery have been spared to be reheated with the brisket (as opposed to becoming even more integrated into the gravy). More pix when complete.

Also made two kugels:

IMG_8956.thumb.jpeg.5757602e9a441db6bf1bee232ae7a699.jpeg

This is the potato kugel which will be reheated and (hopefully) get nice and crisp on the top; there is a fair amount of schmaltz involved.

Also baked, but not shown, is Arthur Schwartz's farfel kugel, with mushrooms and dried porcini; also in his book Jewish Home Cooking (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

One cannot have too many brown and/or grayish dishes on Jewish holidays; it's a rule.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?