• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cannoli options ( Goldbelly ? )

Paul Bacino

Having  X-mas Party and want to serve cannoli at the end,  I'm not  a baker.  So  I thought I ask the community for options.

I really don't want to run around locally, as I don't have a lot of free time,  So I'm looking for delivery options and a reputable cannoli.  I was thinking gold belly.

I want to fill them my self, just prior to eating

B

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

58 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Having  X-mas Party and want to serve cannoli at the end,  I'm not  a baker.  So  I thought I ask the community for options.

I really don't want to run around locally, as I don't have a lot of free time,  So I'm looking for delivery options and a reputable cannoli.  I was thinking gold belly.

I want to fill them my self, just prior to eating

B

I've had good experiences with GoldBelly.  Ordered quite a few different things from them although never cannoli.  I see that several different bakeries are selling them there.  Maybe someone from the NYC area could weigh in if they've ever had them from Veniero's or Ferrara Bakery?  @weinoo @KennethT?

The ones from Mike's Pastry in Boston come with different toppings to dip the ends in.......

Edited to say that since you can store the filling in the fridge, I'd place the order to deliver on Dec. 20th to avoid any shipping issues.  Fed Ex usually delivers my stuff from GB --but occasionally UPS does too.

Edited by Shelby (log)

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I've had good experiences with GoldBelly.  Ordered quite a few different things from them although never cannoli.  I see that several different bakeries are selling them there.  Maybe someone from the NYC area could weigh in if they've ever had them from Veniero's or Ferrara Bakery?  @weinoo @KennethT?

The ones from Mike's Pastry in Boston come with different toppings to dip the ends in.......

Veneiro's is literally right around teh corner from me, but I've only been there once, many years ago before I lived in that neighborhood!!!  And I didn't have the cannoli... but I imagine they'd be pretty good.  I think I had a cheesecake that was pretty good.

• Thanks 1

I like Veniero’s (used to use them for catering  when I needed an easy sweets table; the mini cannoli went over big).

I think the question about my biggest concern has been answered, and that is keeping the filling separate from the shell. Once they’re filled, they don’t continue to improve. Otherwise, I can say Veniero’s is a good product.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, weinoo said:

I like Veniero’s (used to use them for catering  when I needed an easy sweets table; the mini cannoli went over big).

I think the question about my biggest concern has been answered, and that is keeping the filling separate from the shell. Once they’re filled, they don’t continue to improve. Otherwise, I can say Veniero’s is a good product.

The bakeries that I mentioned above say they ship the filling separate and you fill them yourself.

• Like 2

Just now, Shelby said:

The bakeries that I mentioned above say they ship the filling separate and you fill them yourself.

That should work well.  If one can use a pastry bag!

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

The New York Bakery Where Frank Sinatra Liked to Buy Pastries

Founded in 1894 and run by members of the same family ever since, Veniero’s is an icon of Italian American New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/27/t-magazine/venieros-bakery-new-york.html?smid=url-share

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Follow up

52627497030_1bd089ff79_b.jpg

52626544137_8b82acdd0f_b.jpg

Only Problem was I ordered 12 mini's---ooops   Gold belly  was very good to refund me..I had to scramble in Omaha

52627497070_672d98ed5c_b.jpg

Oh no!  So much for my glowing review of Goldbelly lol.  Glad you could find something up there in Omaha.

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh no!  So much for my glowing review of Goldbelly lol.  Glad you could find something up there in Omaha.

Shel,

They are good,  done a few orders before..No Dog here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

I had shells in the freezer. Crisped up in the oven (it's much nicer warm, BTW, brings out the flavor). Mixed ricotta with chocolate and homemade candied orange and a drop of almond extract. Filled with a spoon. Quick dessert.

• Like 3

~ Shai N.