• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Air Fryer

mgaretz

@palo 

interesting refs.  thanks

BTW  : if you are going to pre-micro a Russet

for the AF , you can pre-micro for an oven.

I sometimes do this , but use a CSO

saves some time .   and I like my BP's w crispy skin.

658273B6-E367-4232-973B-FBF58472D823.thumb.jpeg.51c98173e1c9d035a4f6c46f1a268a61.jpeg

270°F for 15 minutes. No ring of shame. I might reduce the time just a bit next time. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

658273B6-E367-4232-973B-FBF58472D823.thumb.jpeg.51c98173e1c9d035a4f6c46f1a268a61.jpeg

270°F for 15 minutes. No ring of shame. I might reduce the time just a bit next time. 

Interesting that one yolk with the rings. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting that one yolk with the rings. 

I am not seeing it so I guess my eyes are still not so great!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried another hash brown patty/fried egg combo.  I set the timer for 12 minures and pre-heated to 400F.  In went the patty.  At 4 minutes left, my little pan went in to pre-heat.  At 2 minutes, the egg went in.  Pulled with 30 seconds to go.  The yolk was slightly overcooked, next time I'll check it at the one minute mark.  @Anna N the egg was not ruffled.  I did strain the watery stuff off before putting it in the pan.

• Like 1

One more addition to the frozen potato products that I like, Kroger Seasoned Hash Brown patties.  I don't have much experience with that specific type of product. They're thinner than Arby's potato cakes (I used to get those often, but they're now discontinued, I think) and the McDonalds product of that type (I think. It's been a long time since I've had something like that from McDonalds.) The seasoning is pretty good on the Kroger version.

These are greasier than any other frozen potatoes I've had.  It doesn't bother me, but it's probably worth mentioning.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)

First test cook in little air fryer was TJ's Kahlua Pork Spring Rolls.  The 4 ct. fit perfect in the small basket and I did a 10 min 400F (per box instructions), turning in the middle.   I think I will bump to 12 min next time since the insides could have been a smidge hotter for my tastes.  The outside was plenty crispy crunchy.    I thought the taste of the filling was fine, a little on the mushy side in texture.   The others in the Household were more positive on them.   We ate them for part of breakfast.  I bought TJ's Gyoza sauce on a whim and THAT I really liked as a dipping sauce for the spring rolls.

Today, my goal is to find the Chung's pork egg rolls, and the Pagoda's.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, Chimayo Joe said:

I've done just about every frozen egg roll I can find in the stores here.  It depends on the size and shape but 12-15 minutes at 375-400 flipping halfway turns out about right in my air fryer. That will vary a bit depending on the air fryer.  I use parchment liners because egg rolls exude a sticky oily substance than can be a little harder to clean.

My favorites are Pagoda Pork Egg Rolls (best cabbage flavor, IMO) and Good & Gather Chicken Thai Basil Spring Rolls.  Good & Gather is a Target store brand. Chung's Pork Egg Rolls and Minh Pork Egg Rolls are pretty good, too.  I wish I could still get Private Selection Butter Chicken Spring Rolls. Those were great, but they've apparently been discontinued.

Haven't tried pot stickers/gyoza/dumplings in the air fryer yet, but I'm sure I will.

Edited by lemniscate
more info on time/temp (log)

On 7/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, lemniscate said:

Anyone done egg rolls/spring rolls/dumplings? 

I tried my first dumplings in the air fryer yesterday, Bibigo Mandu Pork & Vegetable Dumplings and Wei Chuan Vegetable & Pork Dumplings.  I overcooked them (on parchment liner, 390° for 12 minutes flipping halfway through.) Too crispy around the edges, but I still liked them enough that I bought three more varieties last night.  I'm starting with pork dumplings because I tend to prefer pork egg rolls.  

Bibigo Mandu were very good.  First one I had was really hot.  I'm not sure if they are inconsistent or if my mouth just adapted quickly because the next two didn't seem as hot. I'd buy these again, for sure.

Wei Chuan didn't pack the punch that the Bibigo did but were very nice. These reminded me of the potstickers from the local Chinese restaurant I frequent.  Similar flavor profile, not as vibrant as the Chinese restaurant's potstickers but still good.  I'd buy them again, too.

The ones I've bought but haven't tried are:

Pagoda Pork Potstickers (got these because Pagoda Pork Egg Rolls are my favorite)

Beksul Duru Duru Vegetable & Pork Dumplings [I think this is another brand of the same company(CJ Foods) that does Bibigo.]

Bibigo Japchae Potstickers Beef & Pork Dumplings (to see if beef brings anything extra to the dumpling)

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)

Well I'm learning. IMG_20220802_203748.thumb.jpg.44dd61a83ace07ad392e41a0207e55eb.jpg

Pork belly. 30 minutes on Air Crisp at 160C, 10 minutes at 200C. IMG_20220802_211148.thumb.jpg.872396650c50d9a559cbdec43a524085.jpg

Not bad. Not the puffiest skin but an even, crunchy layer. Very tasty. That's a pleasing result. IMG_20220803_080456.thumb.jpg.4589465f030e30a6e64bf7c38d5f7f2b.jpg

The potatoes were also done in the air fryer. 3 minutes pressure cooked, 10 minutes Air Crisp at 200, in reality about 20 minutes in cooking time. Fluffy inside, not really crisp or crunchy skin. Again, tasty.

IMG_20220802_202406.thumb.jpg.34e0ab68c4cb602e4fff5763eeed17f6.jpg

The padron peppers and mushrooms were done separately on the pan.

It took about 2 hours to get this meal on the table from the moment I picked up my knife, about the same time as if I were using conventional means. No doubt I'll get a little quicker with experience.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Pork chop, potato wedges, carrots all pretty much following the instructions accompanying the fryer. Crisper than the oven, not as crispy as the grill/broiler. I'm having fun.

IMG_20220806_145914.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Last night's pasta with the chicken pressure cooked then air crisped. Easy peasy for three drumsticks. Would they have been better in the deep fat fryer? Yes. Any chance of me doing them in the deep fat fryer for a quick lunch while I jumped in the shower? Zero.

IMG_20220806_150959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

The plan for this evening was a barbecue (ahem!) but we were running very late and it was very hot. So, Ninja Air Fryer, what can you do?

IMG_20220810_215109.thumb.jpg.b3bd68f820940ed395c000c2d458c1ab.jpg

Lamb. 20 minutes per 500g at 200C for medium rare at 60C internal temperature, 2 minutes more per degree of preferred done. I did use a thermometer probe to check. Nice and brown and crisp outside, moist inside.

Definitely not a fryer but this thing is very handy!

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerala said:

The plan for this evening was a barbecue (ahem!) but we were running very late and it was very hot. So, Ninja Air Fryer, what can you do?

IMG_20220810_215109.thumb.jpg.b3bd68f820940ed395c000c2d458c1ab.jpg

Lamb. 20 minutes per 500g at 200C for medium rare at 60C internal temperature, 2 minutes more per degree of preferred done. I did use a thermometer probe to check. Nice and brown and crisp outside, moist inside.

Definitely not a fryer but this thing is very handy!

If you took one, can you post a picture of the inside?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of cross posting to the Dinner thread. Deboned or butterflied leg of lamb, as it's sold in Sainsbury's, done again in the air fryer. Salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic crushed to a paste under the side of my knife. I really do cook other stuff in the air fryer, I promise! Same times and temperatures as above. IMG_20220820_211302.thumb.jpg.ef0a5a18f9787880d6f8e83fdb5a8eab.jpg

I've remembered to get a pic of the inside, @ElsieD

IMG_20220820_211401.thumb.jpg.ed4cf5cb3b85beeda6c5d1ed01f0a098.jpg

Served with a salad of tomatoes (including two small ones from our garden!) red onions (again, a small one from our garden), feta cheese, cucumber and olives, with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, honey and grey sea salt.

IMG_20220820_211524.thumb.jpg.e44dca7e91532df2d222fda0171764fa.jpg

Ciabatta bread toasted in the air fryer, drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, sorry no pics!

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, Anna N said:

I was about to answer and say that there were no presets on mine! That gives you an idea of how often I use them. I have had lovely roasted potatoes from my air fryer. It is theb larger one so perhaps that is the difference. I have also done them in a small non-stick pan which fits into the air fryer and that seems to work really well. I consider crispy sweet potato fries a figment of somebody’s imagination. 
I buy PC brand Chicken Kiev and find that 380°F for 18 minutes to work perfectly every time. One of those and a side salad makes a fine meal for me. 
I also happen to think that the air fryer is the easiest way ever to guarantee perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs. 

Anna, I have a similar frozen chicken product and I’d like to use my air fryer and not my oven. Is the chicken you buy raw when you cook it? 

24 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Anna, I have a similar frozen chicken product and I’d like to use my air fryer and not my oven. Is the chicken you buy raw when you cook it? 

Not Anna, but it's uncooked according to the product page.

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/product/pc-chicken-kiev-4-pieces/20503397_EA

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

Yes, it is uncooked. 
2375835C-DDD2-4CD6-8B6E-040C762CDC59.png.8020f4b29c4bc6d1ad3c6dca5b4d1625.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Pretty simple pork ribs last night. Tomato ketchup, mustard powder, soy sauce and honey, 200C on Air Crisp in the Ninja, total cooking time 25 minutes

IMG_20220827_101127.thumb.jpg.94d151d556dc6184ca46b03b029b2c06.jpg

I swapped the pieces between top and bottom trays a couple of times. With the Air Fryer there's a lot of standing around time, so I did a glaze of honey, sherry vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup on the last swap.

The verdict from the family was, "delicious!" I could have reduced the total cooking time by 5 minutes and it would have been fine, down to personal preference.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Costco had panko breaded frozen shrimp as a "Hot Buy".   I impulsed bought.   

I put them in my newly acquired Chefman for about 10 min.  Maybe that was a *bit too long, but they were satisfyingly crispy.   Nice size shrimp.  I dipped in a sweet and sour sauce.

Anyone do frozen clam strips/bellies in air fryer yet?  That's my favorite all time breaded seafood dish, so hard to find anymore as bar food.   If so, what supermarket brands are good?   

I have noticed that the air fryer can be a convenience food enabler (ie egg rolls, fries, breaded shrimp).   I have never been a frozen food/meal buyer per se, always wanted to do from scratch.   Now I have those things in the freezer, for better or for worse.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 3

So, cooking for myself for once.

IMG_20220828_154957.thumb.jpg.1b64aea987e86b635ce1aac6892a7e53.jpg

Lamb hearts. 2 minutes pressure cooked

IMG_20220828_155033.thumb.jpg.c0d16be0c1f786f2d60cde07987fde3b.jpg

Then turmeric, chilli, pepper, salt, garlic powder in olive oil.Air crisp for 10 minutes at 200C.

IMG_20220828_155112.thumb.jpg.e595647fb102ea3d9dd6096eea8a4d87.jpg

Summer meal! With a cold beer.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

@Kerala

Nice meal. Not often I see somebody willing to indulge so generously in raw onion. Glad of the company. Equally glad there are 3000 miles between us!

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog