• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viennetta will be available again in 2021!

Kim Shook

1 hour ago, Elkyfr said:

When I was young there was a few ice cream cakes, but now there are very nice frozen cakes better than the viennetta.

Perhaps - but it is a taste memory, nostalgia thing.  We did the Carvel ice cream cakes and the Baskin Robbins ones for the kids. Vienetta was more adult oriented I think. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Viennetta always looked classy to me. Let us know, @Kim Shook, if the "formula" is the same as it was in the '90s.

It has never disappeared in Europe, I ate it last year and it was the same as always.

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Perhaps - but it is a taste memory, nostalgia thing.  We did the Carvel ice cream cakes and the Baskin Robbins ones for the kids. Vienetta was more adult oriented I think. 

Yes, it was famous and luxurious as a kid, a lot of marketing. The only problem for me is not that the chocolate melts in my mouth, and it would be better if it had nuts.

• Like 2

Viennetta was a late 70's early 80's invention in the UK.

Kentucky Fried Chicken (no brevity then) would give you one "free" with a family meal, for added pestering power.

If the bucket based carnage lasted too long it defrosted into a froth....

....escalating birth order rivalry into the internecine warfare of a contested election. 

Here in the Motherland, they sell a miniature knock-off version, on a stick, that's guaranteed to hit the pavement before it hits your lips.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 3 months later...

Well, I've been looking since January and finally found it at Publix:

IMG_5573.jpg.1536772effc35606903ab96c6bfa4ae8.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg.6dd048315ace311605b592e5e356517c.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg.17ced10d6e51e89882338c8f39ed5c85.jpg

I quite liked it.  The ice cream had that light but creamy quality that seems to be a characteristic of ice cream novelties.  Really fast melting.  I'm hoping that they also make a chocolate one and that Publix will stock that, too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1