• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate ganache question

Hi all  -  I have used a chocolate ganache recipe in the past and is has always been soft and melt in your mouth - 1 kg chocolate 500 g cream  200 g butter is the recipe.  The last time i made it i tempered the chocolate before adding the warm cream and melted butter at 90F.   When I piped this into the bonbon shells and it set up it was much firmer in texture.  Is that because of the tempered chocolate used for the ganache?  Any insights would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Likely yes - but could also be a chocolate with higher cocoa butter content?

Hi Kerry - thanks for your insight - I don't think it is the chocolate as I have been using the same 811 callebaut for years - I am making another batch tomorrow and will try not tempering it - i think that is what has firmed the ganache up - I have some left over in piping bags and they are all pretty solid - in the past I could pipe them and not need to warm them - i compared the percentages in the recipe to grewling's and they are close - always fun to experiment with chocolate - only making chocolates for special occasions i don't have the routine down pat yet

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:22 PM, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi all  -  I have used a chocolate ganache recipe in the past and is has always been soft and melt in your mouth - 1 kg chocolate 500 g cream  200 g butter is the recipe.  The last time i made it i tempered the chocolate before adding the warm cream and melted butter at 90F.   When I piped this into the bonbon shells and it set up it was much firmer in texture.  Is that because of the tempered chocolate used for the ganache?  Any insights would be appreciated. 

That much butter would tend it toward the very soft.

Tempered choc would become untempered as soon as the hot cream hits it but you wrote warm cream.

Theres the problem.

Scald the cream and it wont make any difference tempered or not.

• 2 months later...

Hello!

You dont temper chocolate when making chocolate ganache you just melt it no more than 55°C or else it will burn (Yet tempering the chocolate wont effect nothing it still the same thing.)

Dont boil cream over 90°C or else it will burn your chocolate when poring and effect the flavor especially when you add flavors like vanilla

Talking about vanilla, never use vanilla extract for ganache bonbon making ever! LOL you will taste the artificial side of it when you enjoy the bonbon. (not like making ganache, cream patissiere, whipped cream for the cake the artificial flavor is hidden). so always use vanilla paste or beans.

Texture: Ganache bonbon it suppose to be very firm like a rock when you hold it, very smooth when you taste it!

I believe you have issue with storage and recipe if texture not pleasant for you.

Let me know if you have any inquiries about this subject, Ill be happy to help.

Chocolate & Pastry Instructor

Chocolate Author

www.cocoachocolateganache.com

4 hours ago, Francois Royal said:

You dont temper chocolate when making chocolate ganache ….. (Yet tempering the chocolate wont effect nothing it still the same thing.)

I'm gonna leave the whys and wherefores to those better qualified and just agree to disagree. Not so much that it's necessary to temper the chocolate, more the part about "tempering the chocolate won't effect nothing".

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm gonna leave the whys and wherefores to those better qualified and just agree to disagree. Not so much that it's necessary to temper the chocolate, more the part about "tempering the chocolate won't effect nothing".

Course you can always temper the ganache!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Course you can always temper the ganache!

Yeah, I jumped the gun a little there. I think I was equating tempering the chocolate and tempering the ganache. Two different stages but for some reason I lumped them together in my head. It's the finished ganache that I (ez)temper, not the chocolate I'm using to make the ganache. Whoops. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.