• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocoguyin Pemby

chocolate ganache question

Hi all  -  I have used a chocolate ganache recipe in the past and is has always been soft and melt in your mouth - 1 kg chocolate 500 g cream  200 g butter is the recipe.  The last time i made it i tempered the chocolate before adding the warm cream and melted butter at 90F.   When I piped this into the bonbon shells and it set up it was much firmer in texture.  Is that because of the tempered chocolate used for the ganache?  Any insights would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Likely yes - but could also be a chocolate with higher cocoa butter content?

Hi Kerry - thanks for your insight - I don't think it is the chocolate as I have been using the same 811 callebaut for years - I am making another batch tomorrow and will try not tempering it - i think that is what has firmed the ganache up - I have some left over in piping bags and they are all pretty solid - in the past I could pipe them and not need to warm them - i compared the percentages in the recipe to grewling's and they are close - always fun to experiment with chocolate - only making chocolates for special occasions i don't have the routine down pat yet

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:22 PM, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi all  -  I have used a chocolate ganache recipe in the past and is has always been soft and melt in your mouth - 1 kg chocolate 500 g cream  200 g butter is the recipe.  The last time i made it i tempered the chocolate before adding the warm cream and melted butter at 90F.   When I piped this into the bonbon shells and it set up it was much firmer in texture.  Is that because of the tempered chocolate used for the ganache?  Any insights would be appreciated. 

That much butter would tend it toward the very soft.

Tempered choc would become untempered as soon as the hot cream hits it but you wrote warm cream.

Theres the problem.

Scald the cream and it wont make any difference tempered or not.