• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Prime Rib Roast

Owtahear

All:

Usually I cook a Standing Rib Roast, probably 8-9lbs, I usually get from a local butcher.    I was thinking about splurging this year.   I have been looking at some of the known meat purveyors and looking at buying Prime, Dry Aged.

Questions, has anyone or does anyone do this?

1) Purveyors, Loebels, LaFrieda, DeBragga, Chicago Steak, Allen Brothers???    Others?   Any recs?

2) Prime?   I mean this is a rich cut to begin with....

3) Dry Aged?   They are all aged somewhat, but is it worth going that extra mile ($)?

Any/all opinions welcome.

As for Prime - you might check out @Margaret Pilgrim post about half down the page ... I don’t know, yet how to link to individual posts, but here is the link to the thread If you click here (if I did this right - ha! ) 

Personally - “my people” like prime - but we eat a lot of beef 🤷🏻‍♀️... we enjoy dry aged ... ymmv 

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

I have successfully ordered prime rib roasts from Lobel's and Pat LaFrieda for prior holidays.  This year I ordered from Heritage Foods.  Last year we had a prime dry-aged roast from Eataly.  I do not eat beef so cannot personally comment on the flavor difference between the dry and wet aged.  Both seemed to be equally popular with the members of my family that do eat beef.  

I've ordered from Lobel's and it was very good, but the shipping costs are so high.  Luckily we have a few butchers in our area that sell "prime" rib. The two main butchers I've gone to age their beef for a few weeks, but not as long as the really dry-aged beef I've seen on television and videos.  There beef is fine with me.  I've had the long dry-aged beef at steakhouses, and I do like the flavor, but the cost for me to buy it at home is beyond my budget.  But because the beef has lost a lot of water weight and you have to cut off that outer crust, the price for me is way too high.  

• Like 3