Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these?  Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate molds as usual with colored CB ...  More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense.  I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en

image002.thumb.jpg.efeb40302e53d232490325a2d8ba7fb2.jpg

 

Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based"

 

I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, minas6907 said:

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors. 

 

Yes, they contain freeze dried fruit powder, some have sugar and milk.  Ingredients are listed on AUI's site, here's the strawberry

1055086646_ScreenShot2019-05-20at3_59_17PM.png.e0712b1c7db76808cffae7c56b333a71.png

 

7 minutes ago, keychris said:

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based"

 

I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.

 

I'm not sure about the pectin claim either, I thought you needed water for pectin to have effect.

 

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?

 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?

 

how much do you need to add to taste it? there's literally like 0.1g of cocoa butter on the outside of a bonbon, so how much flavouring does PCB have to add to that to get it to a level you can actively taste? I just feel that the amount you need to add so that you can taste it effectively is rendering it to "not cocoa butter" in my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, keychris said:

 

how much do you need to add to taste it? there's literally like 0.1g of cocoa butter on the outside of a bonbon, so how much flavouring does PCB have to add to that to get it to a level you can actively taste? I just feel that the amount you need to add so that you can taste it effectively is rendering it to "not cocoa butter" in my head.

 

I don't know.  It would have to be pretty intense to get flavor from a thin layer of decoration.  On one hand, freeze dried fruit can pack a punch, on the other, they can't be adding so much that the product is too thick.  They're selling it as cocoa butter, not couverture so I'd expect it to be very fluid.  The PCB Creations site also shows it mixed with I'm guessing white chocolate in various dosages.  Here is their brochure https://www.calameo.com/books/005802807fd1cdaab6c9b

 

 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Whoa so isn't that another version of the Valrhona Inspiration line?
 

 

Sounds like the same concept of freeze dried fruit blended into cocoa butter, but this must be more liquid if they're recommending it for decoration rather than molding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

I actually own a couple of these, purchased by accident from PCB Creation during a late night splurge.

 

The one thing I would say is that overheating the raspberry one in the microwave was a mistake, the whole workshop STANK! It was foul. The cocoa butter and flavouring had somehow separated while stored in what I believed to be ambient conditions, so when I put it in the microwave to melt the cocoa butter, the top liquid layer of flavouring seemed to suck up all the little micro waves and proceeded to boil. It was literally only in there for 45 seconds or so, with the cap off.

 

The black one smells a bit like liquorice but its not so intense. The raspberry one smelt quite pleasant to be honest. Needless to say, I have not rushed out to buy more however.

 

Matthew

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I recently purchased the lemon yellow flavored cocoa butter from Chef Rubber and wont buy it again. It's really bitter. I'm actually using it 50/50 with unflavored just to use it up. I like the concept and will probably try another flavor. 

Edited by Beckykp27
Typo (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
    • By rookie
      I am making molded bunnies for Easter and I am finding that the
      necks are cracking and the head breaks away from the body. I have noticed that the neck is not as thick as the rest of the bunny. Total grams for this bunny is 200.
      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Oh yeah I didn't mention that after pouring into molds I place in the refridgerator.
      Any suggestions are welcome!
      Cheers
      Mary - Rookie
    • By cc.canuck
      I couldn't think of a better way to word that! 
       
      I'm experimenting with adding a very small amount of cocoa butter decoration onto bars I'm making and am not sure whether I should heat the moulds up with a hair dryer as I would for completely bare moulds or just abandoning this step. I would avoid blowing directly onto where the cocoa butter is as much as possible. Thoughts?

    • By liuzhou
      Full story here.
       
    • By cc.canuck
      I'm relatively new to chocolate making but now that I've finally got the hang of tempering (by hand using the seeding method) I'd like to work on incorporating less air during the process.
       
      I mainly make bars at the moment so I can tap out air bubbles after filling but I want to start making dipped biscuits and that's not going to work! I've watched oh so many videos of people stirring their chocolate while tempering and can't pick up any nuances that make their process different to mine, though they clearly have significantly less air in their mixture.
       
      Any ideas how I could fix this problem or should I consider incorporating air bubbles into my biscuit design?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...