• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

I am fighting pneumonia right now--if I wasn't, I would be out with the tiller right now.  The soil is dry, the sun is out.  Daffodils are blooming everywhere, the forsythia and quince are starting.

I love March in Missouri.

You are making me weep. I moved to Boston from St. Louis, MO 6 yrs ago and no one here believes me when I tell them that this time in MO I was getting in some herbs and cool weather crops in my backyard kitchen garden by the end of March. Today was relatively warm in Boston so the pile of snow in my front (postage stamp size) yard has shrunk to 8 feet tall. I grit my teeth during the worst of winter but this time of year I miss the St. Louis climate so much. I'll trade tornado warnings for 5 months of winter any day. I have a plot in a local community garden (city living, for those of you with real estate) and can't wait to start digging. May at the earliest here.

I've only just now stumbled upon this thread but will read through the backlog and add my thoughts later.

sparrowgrass, I hope you're feeling better.

Thank you, Linda. My mom is a southeast Missouri farm girl, and moved to Chicago when she married. Every year of my growing up, we came down to to Grandma's farm this time of year, when Chicago is miserable and snowy, and we smelled the new grass and daffodils.

Come on down and visit, all of you. We will have a big slumber party, and eggs from the henhouse for breakfast, and then you can help me till and put the spring stuff out. (Otherwise, it may be June before I am up to running the tiller.)

sparrowgrass

Does anyone have any good plant information sites that they could point me to? I was a downtown Chicago native for 15 years (read: no plants, no patio, no yard, no nothing), but now live in the Arizona heat - but the 15 years of condo living has left my green thumb sorely underdeveloped. I'd love to start experimenting with gardening herbs, fruits, & vegetables, but I have the feeling that not just anything will withstand 120 degrees and baking sun. Anywhere you guys can direct me for more information?

Many thanks...

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

OMG. I am sick. I am so, so, so sick. With grief.

I work in a small law office. One of the attorneys helped one of his clients get a large parcel of land in a rural area, untangled from a difficult estate, so that he could buy it. A few months ago, he proudly showed me pictures of it, and pointed out the many cherry, apricot, peach, and plum trees. When he saw my eyes light up, he promised he'd call me this spring/summer when the fruit ripened, so that I could drive down there and pick. I promised to make him pies in return for the opportunity.

He's back in the office this morning, with much different pictures. Seems one of his neighbors was trying to do a controlled burn on a field recently, when it was too windy. Things quickly got out of hand, and most of his land, including all of the fruit trees, is blackened. The trees are probably gone, at least for this year, anyhow. He won't know for awhile whether any of them will recover, but he's not at all optimistic.

At least his home was saved. It took fire departments from several communities to do it, but they did save the structure. The last picture he showed me was of cattails in the middle of the pond, singed by fire burning so violently that the flames whipped 25 feet out over the water.

Does anyone have any good plant information sites that they could point me to?  I was a downtown Chicago native for 15 years (read:  no plants, no patio, no yard, no nothing), but now live in the Arizona heat - but the 15 years of condo living has left my green thumb sorely underdeveloped.  I'd love to start experimenting with gardening herbs, fruits, & vegetables, but I have the feeling that not just anything will withstand 120 degrees and baking sun.  Anywhere you guys can direct me for more information?

Many thanks...

Try looking for a county extension service. If there's one nearby, they'll have good information. Otherwise, try local garden centers and/or your local library. Keep your eyes open as you drive around this summer, for people who are doing the kind of gardening you want to do. Stop and talk to them. Most gardeners are pretty generous people, and will share information with you.

I planted lemon thyme under the swing set in in the yard of our former house....the scent was wonderful.  It was much sturdier under swings than was grass.

Wow! That sounds great. I had no idea regular thyme would stand up to that. I know some folks use Elfin Thyme, Wooly Thyme, and some low growing Oreganos as ground covers. Love the smell of Lemon Thyme, though.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a long and difficult winter.

But, as I "supervised" the Easter egg hunt today, I had occasion to poke around in the garden, and push and pull and lift up bits of mulch.

There are daisies coming up. The rosemary is coming to life. My purple coneflowers did not die. I think I espy signs of life in the shocking pink popies I planted. The bits and pieces of thyme I pulled from the Old House and transplanted to the New House look like they have taken hold.

As I crested the hill on the freeway on my way to chuch at 5:45 this morning, I was reminded that the days are getting longer, the sun has more push.

The new season is soon to be upon us!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Well, I am STILL :sad: battling pneumonia, but my sweet son came to visit and tilled for me, so I managed to do some planting.

Plant a row. Sit down for a bit. Plant a row. Go inside and take a nap. Plant a row. . . . .

Anyhow, I have lettuce, peas (5 kinds, I think-- 2 kinds of regular "English" peas, 2 kinds of snap peas, and snow peas), spinach, and broccoli in the ground.

I put the electric fence up to keep the chickens and the dogs out. I still need to do some fertilizing, but will have to wait til I feel better.

sparrowgrass

Some pix from the garden today - definite signs of spring

Hawthorn blossom in the hedgerow, and hazel catkins

gallery_7620_135_4510.jpggallery_7620_135_26029.jpg

For some reason there are lots of wild violets this year, in the lawn as well as the woods. Occaisional mowing, no fertiliser and benign neglect helps the wild flowers.

gallery_7620_135_19675.jpggallery_7620_135_6834.jpg

Wild primroses and white violets

gallery_7620_135_8989.jpggallery_7620_135_1024.jpg

Compost ready to use for mulch or for the bean trench. Must clear up the greenhouse, but signs of life - lettuce, tomato and basil seedlings, and the chrysanths coming into life

gallery_7620_135_4403.jpggallery_7620_135_8139.jpg

Daffodils are beginning to fade, but native wild orchids have re-appeared with the bluebells coming in the wood. These will be early common purple orchids

gallery_7620_135_17848.jpggallery_7620_135_3658.jpg

Wild garlic or jack-by-the hedge. In the interest of culinary enquire I dug a few. Is this what are called Ramps?

gallery_7620_135_14746.jpggallery_7620_135_6570.jpg

Meantime in the veg garden the garlic planted last autumn is showing, and the rainbow chard (blette) has new growth. Cardoons in the background.

gallery_7620_135_15279.jpggallery_7620_135_18105.jpg

Overwintered Broad (Fava) beans, and must plant out the peas. These are an old purple podded variety that can be ate as mangetout or as (green) peas.

gallery_7620_135_11875.jpggallery_7620_135_18253.jpg

Purple sprouting broccoli ready to pick

gallery_7620_135_8320.jpggallery_7620_135_11341.jpg

The potatoes are chitting. These are Arran Pilot, and old first early variety, but one that suits my heavy clay. Easter is a traditional time to plant these out, but the ground is still to wet and claggy. Maybe a week or two.

Also in the greenhouse.

Also in the greenhouse are carnations, responding to the warmer tempertatures. This is Marmion, and old Malmaision variety, with a gorgeous clove scent.

gallery_7620_135_1213.jpggallery_7620_135_5290.jpg

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I've had some of my herbs planted for two to three weeks now, and they are doing well. They're all in containers, clustered in my 'little red wagon', so that they can be taken into the garage if a freeze is forecast, but so far I've only had to worry about that a couple of nights.

I persuaded my husband to break out the yard toys yesterday, and we accomplished quite a bit. A small plot has now been tilled, and will soon have peas and arugula. Some tomatoes will go in containers; others will go directly in the ground. I did find some heirloom tomato seeds this weekend, so tonight I will start them in a miniature greenhouse-type thing I bought. It will hold 12 peat pots, so if all grow successfully, I'll have some to give away. I may even raise a tomato plant or two for our next door neighbors, who had a baby on December 31 and have their hands full with her and their two adolescent boys.

This year I'm trying those "Wall O Water" things with some of the tomatoes, to see if they make much difference. The instructions say to set them up a week ahead of planting, so that they can warm the ground. So two of them are now set up, and the two tomato plants I have so far, will go in them next Saturday.

The local greenhouse indicates they'll have more tomato plants and the arugula I want, next weekend.

When we drove around yesterday, we noticed that the pear trees, forsythia, and flowering quince are all in bloom, making for quite a show. We had a really nasty ice storm in January, and many of us were kind of holding our breath to see how much damage would show up once flowering began. Some of the pear trees, which usually do not do well in ice storms, indeed do have chunks missing, but the damage seems not to have been too extensive, and I think we can look for the blank spots to start filling in, within the next couple of years.

Combine that with my co-worker's happy news that her cat, who had been on the lam for a week, has returned, craving food and affection, and it's shaping up to be a pretty nice spring!

This year I'm trying those "Wall O Water" things with some of the tomatoes, to see if they make much difference.  The instructions say to set them up a week ahead of planting, so that they can warm the ground.  So two of them are now set up, and the two tomato plants I have so far, will go in them next Saturday.

Walls of Water work very well for us. We've been using them (the same ones) for probably 8 to 10 years. They give us a jump on planting. When I think I don't need them, we'll have a frost and then I have to replant. Typically we plant tomatoes on Mother's Day, and remove the walls of water 3-4 weeks later. I started my tomato seeds on St Patrick's Day (indoors). They're about 1 1/2 inches tall!

I haven't done any work in the garden yet, but my rhubarb is up, and some herbs, such as oregano and parsley.

• 4 weeks later...

I usually like plants in my garden to bring more than looks to the party, preferably be edible or smell great. Ideally both.

Up the street from my house is a Michelia doltsopa (Sweet Michelia), which I have coveted for some time. It is a slow growing evergreen (here) Magnolia relative whose blooms have an absolutely intoxicating smell. Unfortunately, the one up the street will end up a pretty big tree, and won't do all that well in a container.

This spring I found a Michlelia figo (Banana Shrub) in the discount section of a local garden store. It is a smaller shrubby relative of the tree up the street which I knew would do OK in a large container. I also knew the flowers smelled a little unusual; but, had enjoyed the Michelia up the street so much, I thought what the heck. It was half price, after all.

A few days ago the first bloom opened, and I was amazed at the pungent odor of, well, I can't quite describe it. Vaguely fruity, vaguely banana. I went to get my wife to smell it and she nailed it. Juicy Fruit gum.

:laugh:

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I took an extra hour at lunch today and tilled the rest of the garden, for the beans and corn and tomatoes.

The peas, spinach, lettuce are up, asparagus is beginning, and the cabbage and brussel sprouts I put out a couple weeks ago look good.

If the rain holds out til I get home, I will plant the beans and corn. Tomatoes and peppers will wait a week or so--I hate having to run out and cover things.

sparrowgrass

Happy dance! Everyone told me that rosemary is not winter hearty up here (zone 3 or 4, depending on how you look at the chart).

It's doing just fine. Ironic since I didn't mulch it, we had a seriously cold winter with very little snow. Rhubarb has nice leaves, and is growing by the day. My chives look magnificent.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 1 month later...

Next spring, when I tell you I am getting ready to plant 5 different kinds of peas, will someone please STOP me?

I have never had peas like this--I have been picking almost a gallon of peas a day, and have been for 2 weeks.

I love peas--don't get me wrong. I have had them for lunch and dinner every day, and have a big bowl of peas in front of me as I type--just salted and buttered, the way I like them best.

But I have been spending every evening bent over in the garden, picking, and then sitting in front of the TV, shelling (or stringing, for the snaps and snows). MY thumbnail is a permanent green, I think.

Thank goodness the weather has turned hot, and they are almost done. I pulled up 2 rows and picked the last of the peas off the plants in the relative comfort of the back porch, in the shade.

Also, while you are trying to stop me from planting all those peas, remind me that ALL peas like trellising--no matter what the packet says. It also makes them much easier to pick--no bending over trying to sort pea pods from tangled pea stems.

sparrowgrass

Happy dance!  Everyone told me that rosemary is not winter hearty up here (zone 3 or 4, depending on how you look at the chart).

It's doing just fine.  Ironic since I didn't mulch it, we had a seriously cold winter with very little snow.  Rhubarb has nice leaves, and is growing by the day.  My chives look magnificent.

Lucky you! I brought 4 pots inside, and only 1 survived. None of the outside rosemary survived.

However, my sorrel and burnet did, and the other day I accidentally dug up something that looks suspiciously like tarragon shoots. I replanted them. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Next spring, when I tell you I am getting ready to plant 5 different kinds of peas, will someone please STOP me?

I have never had peas like this--I have been picking almost a gallon of peas a day, and have been for 2 weeks.

I love peas--don't get me wrong.  I have had them for lunch and dinner every day, and have a big bowl of peas in front of me as I type--just salted and buttered, the way I like them best.

But I have been spending every evening bent over in the garden, picking, and then sitting in front of the TV, shelling (or stringing, for the snaps and snows).  MY thumbnail is a permanent green, I think.

You remind me of Garrison Keillor, going on about planting gardens and then reaping the, er, rewards. "Why," he asks, "did anyone think 5 hills of watermelons were a good idea? And Big Berthas at that!"

He also tells, in many versions, the story of his 'childhood' in which the tomatoes ultimately took over the garden, the yard, the porch, the kitchen. "Pick up a newspaper off the kitchen table, and there would be tomatoes under it. I don't know, maybe we thought they'd climb into the canning jar by themselves." :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

So maybe my 6 hills of watermelon and the 3 hills of cantaloupe were too much? I have never had much luck with melons in this garden, so maybe I will be alright.

The best part of gardening for me (well, maybe second best after eating) is feeding friends and family. I always plant more than I need. Same reason I have the chickens--I can't possibly eat all those eggs.

(New baby chicks came in the mail Monday--a multicultural bunch of brown egg layers. Little black chicks with yellow markings, ones that are striped like little chipmunks, yellow ones with darker stripes, plain light yellow ones, silvery grey ones. They are living in the guest room shower right now, but will move outside to the brooder this weekend. I will try and take a picture before they start sprouting feathers and turn homely, sometime next week.)

sparrowgrass

Also, while you are trying to stop me from planting all those peas, remind me that ALL peas like trellising--no matter what the packet says.  It also makes them much easier to pick--no bending over trying to sort pea pods from tangled pea stems.

Here is a hint that you might find useful.

Get some long poles that you can re-use, sink them in the ground about every 4 feet, then get some tree netting (to keep birds off fruit trees) and either staple or tie it to the poles (we use the plasti electric wire ties that have a slot at one end for the free end to slip through.)

At the end of the season just take the netting down, clean it and roll it up for next year.

I use it for cucumbers also. It is dark green so is not an eyesore. It also has the advantage of being very inexpensive.

My neighbor uses it for flowering vines, sweet peas, morning glory (I don't grow the latter because they are poisonous) and a friend has a huge row of this stuff down in Vista, CA where she grows passion fruit.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wild garlic or jack-by-the hedge. In the interest of culinary enquire I dug a few. Is this what are called Ramps?

Yessir they were. They call them leeks(wild?) where i live however, yet, i'm sure, nowhere else.

Edited by coquus (log)

This morning I finally got the last of my tomato and cucumber plantlings in the ground. I was planning on creating a new bed for them, but we've got too many house projects going on, and I am too pregnant to be doing all that digging right now.

My herbs are looking quite happy -- sage (which would take over the entire yard if I let it, I think); rosemary and thyme perking up; new dill, parsley, and chives seem to be established; basil is still pretty puny -- maybe it hasn't been hot enough?

I envy those of you with your large gardens. I have only a small patch on my yard that gets (almost) full sun, so I have to pack in the stuff I really want there. Wish I could grow some field peas. Yum.

And just to make those of you in Minnesota and environs ill, my parents are already pciking tomatoes in Louisiana. Unfair, isn't it?

Bridget Avila

My Blog