• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moo Shu Pork

During the American Chinese food authenticity revolution of the late 60's and early 70's Mo Shu Pork had the cachet of something delicious, authentic and unusual. Somehow it's gotten sidetracked. Pedestrian and unexciting now seems like more apt descriptions of its usual state of being?

How do you feel? What do you expect to see when you order it? What ingredients do you expect in your dish? What do you want in a Moo Shu pancake? Do you want hoisin sauce on your Moo Shu? Did you know that hoisin on Moo Shu is like catsup on steak?

Moo Shu is one of my favorite dishes.

First of all I expect to see good quality shredded pork, and an abundance of black fungus. I also expect the shredded napa cabbage to be lightly stir fried and that it should be as dry as possible, not watery. There should be a nice pungent flavor to the background hoisin-based sauce and not overly sweet. Should be just enough eggs, not too much.

Pancakes should not be too thick and not to floury.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We, I suspect I mean New Yorkers, but maybe all Americans to some extent, tend to go through food (an other things?) as a fad or fashion. What's new and exciting is soon, old and trite. We discover foods and burn out our interest by over exposure. Somethings last, some come back. I guess moo shu pork is one that got a bit burned out. I suppose it didn't help that when it got popular, it also found its plalce on menus in mediocre restaurants and after a few bad experiences, people associated it with the mediocre places.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

That's also why tacos failed.

I enjoy a good moo shu as well, and I agree with Jason's rules for success. Pancakes that stick together are bad news. One thing that can fight blandness is to make the filling a bit acidic with rice vinegar, black vinegar, or (sorry to go fusion here) lime juice. As far as rice vinegar, I've found that the Kong Yen brand is not as insipid as Marukan.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Moo Shu failed because of the pancake. Why ruin good food by unneccesarily pairing it with a casing it doesn't need? Peking Duck is the same. Good roast duck that is crispy along with some hoisin to dip it in is a good enough dish. What does the pancake do for it?

right. Moo Shu Pancakes are for tourists.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

That's also why tacos failed.

I enjoy a good moo shu as well, and I agree with Jason's rules for success.  Pancakes that stick together are bad news.  One thing that can fight blandness is to make the filling a bit acidic with rice vinegar, black vinegar, or (sorry to go fusion here) lime juice.  As far as rice vinegar, I've found that the Kong Yen brand is not as insipid as Marukan.

The best kind of pancakes for moo shu are the nearly translucent kind, which you have to be careful not to overstuff.

Do you like it?  Who has the best?

Yes, I do like it.

Had some great Moo Shu in Hong Kong and Taipei but don't remember names of restaurants.

Also in San Francisco at R&G Lounge.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

This dish has changed over the years. At one point, egg was dominant. Sometimes the dish was even called something like "North China Egg Dish." I remember reading somewhere that it was originally coinceived to be cheap and filling. (I'll try to trackdown the reference.) At my local Chinese take-out, it remains is one of the few reliable dishes, with a good balance of textures and flavors. I like both with and without the pancakes and hoisin sauce.

I ususually eat moo shu without the pancakes. I also enjoy vegetarian versions, particularly with mushrooms.

You inevitably have to eat it without the pancakes because there are never enough pancakes to go around. So I end up eating some the next day over rice.

Rice is for tourists. Pancakes are for tourists. You, my friend, are a tourist.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Rice is for tourists. Pancakes are for tourists. You, my friend, are a tourist.

Well hand me a hawaiian shirt, a oversized camera bag, a pair of cheap goggle sunglasses, and the Fodors Guide to Chinese Food cause I'm @#$%& proud to be one.

Moo Shu failed because of the pancake. Why ruin good food by unneccesarily pairing it with a casing it doesn't need? Peking Duck is the same. Good roast duck that is crispy along with some hoisin to dip it in is a good enough dish. What does the pancake do for it?

Texture baby, texture.

And you can pick it up with your hand.

Plus you get all those nice things in one bite, without stuff falling all over the place, because it's held in by the pancake.

What's a blintz without the wrapper? A pile of cheese and/or fruit with sugar?

Edited by La Niña (log)

Do you want hoisin sauce on your Moo Shu? Did you know that hoisin on Moo Shu is like catsup on steak?

I just wanted to point this out again.

Anyone know why? Anyone care?

Yes eddie, please enlighten us tourists... :biggrin:

This dish has changed over the years.  At one point, egg was dominant.  Sometimes the dish was even called something like "North China Egg Dish.".

Hooray! Good comment. That's exactly right. Moo Shu is an egg dish with a little pork, not a pork dish with a little egg.

This is more clearly seen when translating the name from Chinese. That's because 'Moo Shu' is the name of a small yellow flower, the cassia flower, and it's said that the pieces of egg in Moo Shu rather poetically resemble and remind one of those cassia flowers.

Geezo Pete!

Ravioli without the pasta wrapping? Filling could be good by itself, I suppose?

Caviar without blini? You bet, but I still like the blini.

Hmmm. Let me think? Asparagus omelet without the omelet? Suzette only Crepes Suzette?

The pancakes are 1)charming 2)As nina mentioned, add texure3)are authentic---as far as I know.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com