• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I can't believe that after all the discussion about beans vs. no beans chili no one has picked up on this recent post by @robirdstx. She's a Texan and seems to be in the beans camp (at least sometimes) with me and a few others. :D But people should eat chili that makes them happy, beans or not. Hot or not, whateves. Me? I like hot with beans sometimes on top of spaghetti.

My dinner was a mushroom pizza at Primo Pizza on an errand run over in the vicinity. This is so good when it's hot! It cools quickly, though, and while still good, I sort of wish I could eat it faster because only the first slice is perfect. It slightly burned my mouth, but weirdly, that's the way I like it ever since a small child. I have been fantasizing about pizza since getting the CSO, but I need to do more research before trying it in there. There isn't a recipe for pizza in the owner's manual.

I have half of the mushroom pizza left for dinner tomorrow, which is good, because I have another errand.

Before I started making the chili, I was thinking I'd serve beans on the side but by the time I started cooking, I was so frazzled I forgot about beans.  At first I went to Whole Foods because I thought they'd have some ingredients that HyVee didn't.. like whole spices and pure chili powder-not a blend.  They only had one of those and chuck steak was $9. a pound. No thanks.  I went to HyVee to get the rest of the stuff then across the street to get one bottle of beer.  The liquor store was locked and the inside was empty. I went to another liquor store and got a bottle of beer.  When I got home, I dropped the beer and it broke in the driveway. I spent the next ten minutes cleaning up all the broken glass and decided to make the chili without beer but when I started reading the recipe again, I realized I forgot to get any Ro-Tel.  I decided to go to the Mexican grocery just down the street and pick up another bottle of beer on the way home.  The Mexican store didn't have Ro-Tel tomatoes and no one even knew what i was talking about when I asked so I went to Hen House to get the tomatoes and picked up some tortillas while I was there and got another bottle of beer on the way home.  So I started making the chili about two hours later than i had planned.  Glad my son liked it. I think I need to do some tweaking with it next time.... and double check my list before I leave the house.

PS Hen House didn't have any RoTel on the Mexican aisle. It was with the rest of the tomatoes so maybe it isn't a Mexican food item after all.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I can't believe that after all the discussion about beans vs. no beans chili no one has picked up on this recent post by @robirdstx. She's a Texan and seems to be in the beans camp (at least sometimes) with me and a few others. :D But people should eat chili that makes them happy, beans or not. Hot or not, whateves. Me? I like hot with beans sometimes on top of spaghetti.

My dinner was a mushroom pizza at Primo Pizza on an errand run over in the vicinity. This is so good when it's hot! It cools quickly, though, and while still good, I sort of wish I could eat it faster because only the first slice is perfect. It slightly burned my mouth, but weirdly, that's the way I like it ever since a small child. I have been fantasizing about pizza since getting the CSO, but I need to do more research before trying it in there. There isn't a recipe for pizza in the owner's manual.

I have half of the mushroom pizza left for dinner tomorrow, which is good, because I have another errand.

Before I started making the chili, I was thinking I'd serve beans on the side but by the time I started cooking, I was so frazzled I forgot about beans.  At first I went to Whole Foods because I thought they'd have some ingredients that HyVee didn't.. like whole spices and pure chili powder-not a blend.  They only had one of those and chuck steak was $9. a pound. No thanks.  I went to HyVee to get the rest of the stuff then across the street to get one bottle of beer.  The liquor store was locked and the inside was empty. I went to another liquor store and got a bottle of beer.  When I got home, I dropped the beer and it broke in the driveway. I spent the next ten minutes cleaning up all the broken glass and decided to make the chili without beer but when I started reading the recipe again, I realized I forgot to get any Ro-Tel.  I decided to go to the Mexican grocery just down the street and pick up another bottle of beer on the way home.  The Mexican store didn't have Ro-Tel tomatoes and no one even knew what i was talking about when I asked so I went to Hen House to get the tomatoes and picked up some tortillas while I was there and got another bottle of beer on the way home.  So I started making the chili about two hours later than i had planned.  Glad my son liked it. I think I need to do some tweaking with it next time.... and double check my list before I leave the house.