• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nicolai

Nicolai

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Savory is very hard to find here in the states, and when I can find it, it is only in the dried form. I do love it and tend to hoard it because of the scarcity. It has a very nice flavor and I wish I could find it fresh or even dried more. I did try to grow in one year along with borage and both failed on me, although the other stuff I grew that year did just fine. I was very excited to find the seeds, so this was a great disappointment to me.

The odd thing is that we do not use Savory -  Zaatar Akhdar in cooking but only eat as a salad in it's fresh green raw state,

I personally think it must be a variant herb to savory as it seems many variants exist.

The only time we use the Zaatar in it's dry powder  form besides the sesame mix one, is a la Greque.

We have been taught by a Greek restaurateur lady, that the best way to enjoy Greek Barrel Aged Feta cheese besides raw on a salad, is to spread on flat bread and sprinkle  Greek Thyme and lace with oil toasted in a pan. The other way to eat Barrel Aged Feta is to crumble the Feta on a sheet of alu foil, sprinkle with dry Thyme and EVOO and bake in the oven. The smell is unbelievable. When we run out of Greek Thyme we use powder Zaatar instead and the result in taste and smell is very similar.

We will probably have a Barrel Aged Feta toasted in Egyptian Baladi flat bread next week. I will try to post for you a prep and final pics.

Nicolai

Nicolai

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Savory is very hard to find here in the states, and when I can find it, it is only in the dried form. I do love it and tend to hoard it because of the scarcity. It has a very nice flavor and I wish I could find it fresh or even dried more. I did try to grow in one year along with borage and both failed on me, although the other stuff I grew that year did just fine. I was very excited to find the seeds, so this was a great disappointment to me.

The odd thing is that we do not use Savory -  Zaatar Akhdar in cooking but only eat as a salad in it's fresh green raw state,

I personally think it must be a variant herb to savory as it seems many variants exist.

The only time we use the Zaatar in it's pure form besides the sesame mix one, is a la Greque.

We have been taught by a Greek restaurateur lady, that the best way to enjoy Greek Barrel Aged Feta cheese besides raw on a salad, is to spread on flat bread and sprinkle  Greek Thyme and lace with oil toasted in a pan. The other way to eat Barrel Aged Feta is to crumble the Feta on a sheet of alu foil, sprinkle with dry Thyme and EVOO and bake in the oven. The smell is unbelievable. When we run out of Greek Thyme we use powder Zaatar instead and the result in taste and smell is very similar.

We will probably have a Barrel Aged Feta toasted in Egyptian Baladi flat bread next week. I will try to post for you a prep and final pics.