• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

I was inspired by @Shelby when she posted her chicken paws in the instant pot for stock. I was intent on recreating the Hakata ramen from  Menchanko-Tei that we used to enjoy in Manhattan, before they closed. I know the broth is pork bone based , but pigs feet were the only  pork bones I could find. I chose to add chicken paws as well. I roasted them both in the oven at 425 F for an hour and cooked the broth down at a very low simmer, based on what I have read. A minimal amount of salt , seasoned by the last minute addition of garlic and onion got the job done.  Dried ramen clusters that were simmered into submission, black fungus (tree ears, that had been soaked in hot water and sliced), turnip greens that had been simmered in the broth, just because I wanted some greens and the last minute addition of half & half to give the characteristic white sheen of tonkotsu broth, three slices of tender roast pork in each bowl finished off by the little pile of red pickled ginger garnish along with some chopped green onion.  We were both happy with a visit to the past! Oh, and I opened a bottle of "two buck chuck", just for the occasion.

HC

IMG_1111.JPGIMG_1110.JPGIMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

I was inspired by @Shelby when she posted her chicken paws in the instant pot for stock. I was intent on recreating the Hakata ramen from  Menchanko-Tei that we used to enjoy in Manhattan, before they closed. I know the broth is pork bone based , but pigs feet were the only  pork bones I could find. I chose to add chicken paws as well. I roasted them both in the oven at 425 F for an hour and cooked the broth down at a very low simmer, based on what I have read. A minimal amount of salt , seasoned by the last minute addition of garlic and onion got the job done.  Dried ramen clusters that were simmered into submission, black fungus (tree ears, that had been soaked in hot water and sliced), turnip greens that had been simmered in the broth, just because I wanted some greens and the last minute addition of half & half to give the characteristic white sheen of tonkotsu broth, three slices of tender roast pork in each bowl finished off by the little pile of red pickled ginger garnish along with some chopped green onion.  We were both happy with a visit to the past! Oh, and I opened a bottle of "two buck chuck", just for the occasion.

HC

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1107.JPGIMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

I was inspired by @Shelby when she posted her chicken paws in the instant pot for stock. I was intent on recreating the Hakata ramen from  Menchanko-Tei that we used to enjoy in Manhattan, before they closed. I know the broth is pork bone based , but pigs feet were the only  pork bones I could find. I chose to add chicken paws as well. I roasted them both in the oven at 425 F for an hour and cooked the broth down at a very low simmer, based on what I have read. A minimal amount of salt , seasoned by the last minute addition of garlic and onion got the job done.  Dried ramen clusters that were simmered into submission, black fungus (tree ears, that had been soaked in hot water and sliced), turnip greens that had been simmered in the broth, just because I wanted some greens and the last minute addition of half & half to give the characteristic white sheen of tonkotsu broth three slices of tender roast pork finished off by and the little pile of red pickled ginger garnish along with some chopped green onion.  We were both happy with a visit to the past! Oh, and I opened a bottle of "two buck chuck", just for the occasion.

HC

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1107.JPGIMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPG