• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

It’s obviously a haint. You should make  small straw doll, and leave it in the oven when you aren’t using it.

Or call Anova.

• Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

It’s obviously a haint. You should make  small straw doll, and leave it in the oven when you aren’t using it.

Or call Anova.

I wrote to Anova yesterday and received acknowledgement of my message.  Right now, I'm fearful of using it.

consider the .jpg. or several.

a pic or many to Anova

might make a difference 

one can hope.

pics here , live forever 

Anova night be interested in that 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

It has been 4 days since I wrote to Anova.  I called yesterday and a real live person answered the phone.  Due to the background noise I had a hard time following what he was saying but he did say I'd be hearing from them before the day was out.  Well, that did not happen and I have heard nothing today.  I called again and left a message which is not likely to do me any good.  Does anyone have a phone number for them other than 855-421-8282?  At the moment I have determined that due to the abysmal customer service, I will never, ever buy anything from them again.  And yes, I'm more than a little PO'd.

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It has been 4 days since I wrote to Anova.  I called yesterday and a real live person answered the phone.  Due to the background noise I had a hard time following what he was saying but he did say I'd be hearing from them before the day was out.  Well, that did not happen and I have heard nothing today.  I called again and left a message which is not likely to do me any good.  Does anyone have a phone number for them other than 855-421-8282?  At the moment I have determined that due to the abysmal customer service, I will never, ever buy anything from them again.  And yes, I'm more than a little PO'd.

Odd.  When I had a problem they shipped me a new oven.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have tried calling.  While i got a person the first time, since then the automated voice says leave a message and they will call.  Except no one does.  I have left messages every day and written every day.  Nada.

• Sad 3

20 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have tried calling.  While i got a person the first time, since then the automated voice says leave a message and they will call.  Except no one does.  I have left messages every day and written every day.  Nada.

There's no excuse for promising a reply and failing to do so but their website clearly indicates customer support hours of M-F, 9-5, so I’d cut them a tiny bit of slack for not replying yesterday or today. 

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

There's no excuse for promising a reply and failing to do so but their website clearly indicates customer support hours of M-F, 9-5, so I’d cut them a tiny bit of slack for not replying yesterday or today. 

I don't disagree with your statement about not expecting a reply on a Saturday or Sunday.  I know from other reports I've read that they take a long time to reply but when they do, the response from them has been very good.  I do think they should get rid of the comment about getting back to you in 24 hours.  By Friday it was 72 hours already.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How long did it take for them to respond to you?

I don't exactly remember but I don't think it was very long.

• Thanks 1

Two possibilities:

1) The descale function was started, either by you or the ghost in the machine

2) A clamp that holds a water tube connection tight is loose inside the oven.  I've seen a couple of reports of this.  If you unscrew the rear of the oven of the oven, you can see the connection and can tighten it.  Of course, that may not be something you want to do.  You can see what it looks like here: 

Anova's customer service is variable, so you'll just have to wait for a reply.

Edited by BostonBestEats (log)
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My guess is still it was an unintended descale function.  Ask me how I know.

I would agree if I had been anywhere near the oven.

@BostonBestEats. Thank you for your response.  I appreciate it.  A quick look at the video convinced me that I and my two thumbs were not about to take the oven apart, never mind putting it back together.  Neither is my equally talented husband.

I did finally get a reply from Anova at 10:38 PM last night.  I don't mind if they ask me to put some water in the tank and give it a test run as per @blue_dolphin's suggestion, but I'd be afraid to operate it with a full tank of water in case the ghost in the machine comes back.  We'll see what they say.

• Like 1

For me replacement time was pretty prompt.

I ended up keeping the racks and pan and probe from the dead oven. If I had to do it again, I might keep the water container and drip tray too. You might ask them what their planned disposition of the old machine is, i.e. would they mind if you kept the other parts as spares.

Edited to add that I did not ask their permission to keep items and they did not complain that I did.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 2

w Anova now

don't ask 

if the want the oven back

and they pay fo shipping

send into them

the stuff this'd d not the oven 

I can't imagine they have any interest in 

looking into a mistake

they already know about.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I heard from Anova this morning.  They are replacing the oven.  For those who have had their ovens replaced, about how long did getting the replacement take?

Mine wasn't long, but yours may have to cross the border.

• Like 2

I noticed this afternoon that Cooks Illustrated gave their award to the APO.  A chicken thigh is cooking in my APO at the moment.