• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

1 hour ago, atg said:

It was the firmware update and luckily is under warranty although I'd prefer to unbrick the device if possible

Try doing a factory reset.  That worked for me the last time a firmware update bricked my oven.

• Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Try doing a factory reset.  That worked for me the last time a firmware update bricked my oven.

What's the procedure for doing that? I tried the holding of the Wi-Fi and start but it isn't responsive. If I had to guess, it isn't getting far enough in the boot process to recognize the input.

Aidan G | Home cook

3 hours ago, atg said:

What's the procedure for doing that? I tried the holding of the Wi-Fi and start but it isn't responsive. If I had to guess, it isn't getting far enough in the boot process to recognize the input.

https://community.anovaculinary.com/t/oven-restarting-thread-updates-fixes/29151

• Thanks 1

I have just learned about the existence of this APO this morning...yes, I do live in a closet... and thought I'd look up the cost of one from Amazon.ca.  No luck.  They aren't available and Amazon doesn't know when or if they will be again.  So that is just Amazon. ca.

Then I turned to Amazon.com.  Is it true?  Are these ovens over $1,000.00 in the US?

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I have just learned about the existence of this APO this morning...yes, I do live in a closet... and thought I'd look up the cost of one from Amazon.ca.  No luck.  They aren't available and Amazon doesn't know when or if they will be again.  So that is just Amazon. ca.

Then I turned to Amazon.com.  Is it true?  Are these ovens over $1,000.00 in the US?

Thanks. 

$959 Canadian but they do go on sale.  Go to the Anova site itself.

• Thanks 1

Do not install today's firmware update.  My attempt resulted in the display showing "ota".  I called anova support and the representative told me there were known problems with the latest firmware.  They are working on a fix.

Meanwhile I have reset the oven and paired the app with it again.  I think everything is functional.  Maybe.

@Darienne, even with the occasional troubles, I still love the APO and use it almost daily.

36 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Darienne, there are often sales. If you can hold out, there have been a few sales at 50% off.

I like the machine, myself.

At this point in my life, I think it's out of the question.  But thanks for the information.  Mostly I just wanted to know what it was and what it might cost.  I still have to incorporate other kitchen pieces into my life...like my air fryer.  I've had it for over 6 months now and the only one to use it was our son when he visited.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

31 minutes ago, Darienne said:

At this point in my life, I think it's out of the question.  But thanks for the information.  Mostly I just wanted to know what it was and what it might cost.  I still have to incorporate other kitchen pieces into my life...like my air fryer.  I've had it for over 6 months now and the only one to use it was our son when he visited.  

If you like grilled cheese sandwiches, the air fryer makes the best ones I've ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

should your Anova Oven

get ' bricked '

does it still Fx as stand alone 

' much the button 'oven ?

It depends.  The last time anova sent out faulty firmware one would have to had known to do a factory reset, in order for the oven to have any functionality at all.  But they are clever.  I'm sure they'll eventually find a way to make the oven fail completely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Does anyone know how to print the recipes directly from the Anova site without including all the pictures?  I'd like to be able to print the recipes with just the ingredient list and instructions.

Edited by ElsieD
Clarified my question. (log)

On 7/17/2023 at 3:08 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do not install today's firmware update.  My attempt resulted in the display showing "ota".  I called anova support and the representative told me there were known problems with the latest firmware.  They are working on a fix.

Meanwhile I have reset the oven and paired the app with it again.  I think everything is functional.  Maybe.

@Darienne, even with the occasional troubles, I still love the APO and use it almost daily.

They are running out of time.  Apparently the Google Cloud service they've been using will permanently shut down on August 15th, which is the reason for these updates (needing to move to a different Cloud service).

Thanks Google.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Does anyone know how to print the recipes without including all the pictures?  I'd like to be able to print the recipes with just the ingredient list and instructions.

Unlike Anova, Zojirushi gives a button to see recipe with/without pictures. With the APO, in my case, I use a note keeping program (Evernote) to copy/paste the recipe, and then cut out all the extraneous stuff (HTML and pictures). I'm unaware of any other alternative for this oven.

Which recipes are you wanting to print?

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)

I believe importing the recipe into a WP program will allow editing - open the WP program (Word, Libre Office etc ), then highlight the recipe text on the screen and paste it into the WP program - the edit/delete what you don't want - it sounds tougher than it is - I do this all the time with recipes from the web - can also change up the font size/layout so it fits nicely on a std A4 page for printing 😃

btw this is all assuming you can view the recipe on a PC - if you only have access to a phone, then I suggest you phone for more help

p

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

Unlike Anova, Zojirushi gives a button to see recipe with/without pictures. With the APO, in my case, I use a note keeping program (Evernote) to copy/paste the recipe, and then cut out all the extraneous stuff (HTML and pictures). I'm unaware of any other alternative for this oven.

Which recipes are you wanting to print?

What type of Zojirushi device is this?  I don't believe my Zojirushi rice cooker has any connectivity whatsoever.  (Which is fine by me.)

Meanwhile my APO seems to be working well as usual.  However there is a new 2.0.11 firmware update begging to be installed.  "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What type of Zojirushi device is this?

The original question was about simplifying online recipes which, as far as I know, can't be done with recipes from Anova Culinary. (Easy with Zo recipes).

I'm very worried about installing that update.

@TdeV and @palo Thank you, but I did not word my question very well.  I meant printing directly from the Anova site.  Right now, I'm doing as suggested, in my case copying to Evernote and them deleting the bits I don't want.  It works fine but is a PITA.  I have amended my question.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Meanwhile I have reset the oven and paired the app with it again.  I think everything is functional.  Maybe

Has anyone successfully upgraded their Anova Oven (APO)?

Google says the More menu, first line will say what is my Firmware Version and the second is App Version, but my first line says "App Version 1.1.0"

Suggestions?

2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Has anyone successfully upgraded their Anova Oven (APO)?

Google says the More menu, first line will say what is my Firmware Version and the second is App Version, but my first line says "App Version 1.1.0"

Suggestions?

Since my oven is working perfectly fine at the moment I am waiting for more information.  I'd love to know if anyone has updated without problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can anyone confirm that my oven settings are up-to-date?  My oven profile says firmware 2.0.11 and App 1.1.3(12977).  Thanks!

@ElsieD, I believe your firmware and app are up to date.  Did you have any issues?  (With the firmware, that is.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@ElsieD, I believe your firmware and app are up to date.  Did you have any issues?  (With the firmware, that is.)

No.  But then, my replacement oven came with those two settings.  I'm glad I don't have to do anything.  From what I've been reading in different places, a lot of people are having problems.

• Thanks 1