• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

IMG_3922.thumb.jpg.d13a8f5751c6887b853cb0abb10a4e56.jpg

Cooked up a couple of artichokes in the IP for my lunch. Cooked for 15 minutes - but 20 would have been more ideal.

IMG_3925.jpg.c386ca041c7840fb7108522ac33d2981.jpg

KImche jigae for dinner - the rest of the pot is out at the nurses station.

• Like 7

Artichokes in January!!!

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Artichokes in January!!!

In Canada!

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Artichokes in January!!!

I'm sure they are local, free range, non GMO - no wait they were in the bargain bin - got 6 nice big ones for $1.99. They were however organic - cause that's what was in the bin. 

• Like 3

Hey I live in artichoke land so of course they are from elsewhere. They don't even try to sell them here in winter. Daniel Gritzer of Serious Eats recently spoke of self incinertig ones that were out of season - he is in New York City.  He cut into an out of season one that was really dry and it spraked on the knife. But ya got the ER doc right there ;) 

• Like 1

I rarely find artichokes worth buying anytime of the year up here in the Okanagan.  I don’t think there is a big demand and the produce managers don’t know how to care for them.  They are invariably dried out and spongy.  Sad.