• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fizzy Fruit

Shel_B

This little trick is, literally, the coolest way I've seen to eat fruit.  Bring some to your next BBQ or picnic,

or try some after dinner, especially on a hot night.  This is the funnest way I've seen to enjoy fruit.

Sweetie and I had some with friends after a nice hike in the park.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-fizzy-fruit 

• Like 1

... Shel

Thanks for those video links.  I must say the first one that @Shel_B linked to was more entertaining than the video in @btbyrd's link, but that second video almost convinces me to buy a siphon!

Approximately how long will the fizzed fruit last before it outgases? Does it revert to its original texture at that point, or go limp?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Shel_B said:

What's an  iSi?  Does it carbonate the fruit and keep it cold?

There's an insulated version that will keep the contents hot or cold, if that's what you mean.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/13/2016 at 11:17 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

There's an insulated version that will keep the contents hot or cold, if that's what you mean.

I have the insulated version (I believe it's called the "ThermoWhip").  Like the other siphons, it takes either N20 or CO2 cartridges.  After chilling the canister ovenight in the fridge, it can keep Concord grapes (or what have you) cool to eat for several hours - good for picnics etc.  The only downside to the insulated siphon is that it doesn't work well for holding temp in a water bath... but then again, it works pretty well for holding hollandaise etc. warm for a couple hours without any external heating.  Same for whipped cream - add cool cream at home, carry to park for birthday party, still cool when you whip on demand for pie or cake or whatever a couple hours later.  It's pretty neat, and popular with kids.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:53 AM, dcarch said:

Carbonated candies are more fun. "POP Rock" and "Angel Dust".

After you carbonated the fruits, may be you can freeze them. Will they Pop like Pop Rock?

dcarch

I'll give it a try, but it probably isn't going to work.  The carbonation leaks out faster than my freezer freezes things.  It would have to be a small fruit, frozen under pressure, that you could eat frozen.  Maybe pomegranate pips?  Get some pectinase, and carbonate separated Meyer lemon threads?  Sounds fun - and extra tart from the H2CO3.

Not sure I'd want to put the siphon itself in the freezer (probably outside the working range of the seals).  You'd have to rig up some other apparatus.

I frequently keep my iSi's in the freezer -- I have three -- with no ill effects.  The seals are silicone.  None of the iSi's I have are siphons.  Using a siphon for fizzy fruit would most likely make a mess.

The only problem with the freezer:  occasionally MR turns to slush or freezes solid.

15 minutes ago, daveb said:

I think all of the ISI products are termed "Whipping Siphons".  Not sure they make anything else.  Also not sure where the "Siphon" part comes from.

Regardless, they are fun.  I like blackberries in mine.

I've been told by Creamright, an iSi dealer, that my iSi devices are not siphons.  Not that I did not know this already.  Here is an example of an iSi siphon:

http://www.creamright.com/product/SODA-ISI-1020.html

The siphons have a tube that is easily clogged when using any liquid except water.  Nonetheless Modernist Cuisine uses siphons for some other liquids.

Compare with the dispensers that I have and have used for fruit:

http://www.creamright.com/product/WCD-MN-ISI2441.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But I believe not all the iSi dispensers use the same materials.  The less expensive models are not dishwasher safe, for example.

They have a less expensive model termed the "Easy Whip" that is meant for dispensing whipped cream.   It is not described as NSF and/or dishwasher safe.  (The other products cite these attributes).   Their product page is at:  http://www.isi-store.com/category-s/101.htm

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But I believe not all the iSi dispensers use the same materials.  The less expensive models are not dishwasher safe, for example.

I've got the Thermowhip - one of the more expensive models.  The main gasket is obviously silicone, but I wasn't sure about the other seals in the head.  I'm sure they're the same as on the other expensive whipped cream dispensers, and I'm glad to hear of your successful report.  Maybe I will try freezing pomegranate seeds under pressure!

4 hours ago, daveb said:

Not sure how I appended "siphon" to the name but have always referred to them that way.  But not anymore.

Me too!

If you have a large amount of fruit to carbonate, you can do it in a regular cooler with dry ice. Put the dry ice in the cooler, and cover it with a towel so you don't freeze (and burn) your fruit. Then add the fruit. Put the lid on the cooler, and then use plastic wrap to tightly wrap the cooler, starting at the seal but then wrapping around the entire cooler. Let it sit a while (the video says 12 to 14 hours) before cutting it open and eating the fruit.

I don't recommend using the leftover dry ice to make a bomb, as demonstrated at the end of the video! ;-)

http://www.eater.com/video/2015/10/9/9486953/fizzy-fruit-hack-dry-ice

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

If you have a large amount of fruit to carbonate, you can do it in a regular cooler with dry ice. Put the dry ice in the cooler, and cover it with a towel so you don't freeze (and burn) your fruit. Then add the fruit. Put the lid on the cooler, and then use plastic wrap to tightly wrap the cooler, starting at the seal but then wrapping around the entire cooler. Let it sit a while (the video says 12 to 14 hours) before cutting it open and eating the fruit.

I don't recommend using the leftover dry ice to make a bomb, as demonstrated at the end of the video! ;-)

http://www.eater.com/video/2015/10/9/9486953/fizzy-fruit-hack-dry-ice

That's the same video shown in the original post in this discussion ...

... Shel