• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Collapsed angel food cake - uses?

bakerjo58

I baked a spiced angel food cake and after taking if from the oven, I immediately inverted it as I do with other angel food cakes, but this one was heavier and fell out of the pan!  It collapsed and sunk in on itself. ( I made two more after this and did not invert them and they turned out perfectly, so lesson learned with this recipe.)  My question is:  does anyone have any ideas what to do with the dense, but still nicely flavored cake?  Thank you.

You can make cake croutons, I've done it with sponge cakes. Maybe dusted with cinnamon or other spices you like, just use a low oven. Use it with ice cream of to decorate a plate or to snack on.

I've  also  used crumbles to make bon bons. Crumble some of the cake (about 300 g), add a  tablespoon of a good hazelnut paste, a tablespoon of jam (orange or apricot), a little bit of finely chopped candied fruit (orange for me) and liqueur. It should not be hard but something that will harden to the right consistency in the fridge. Let it rest overnight in the fridge. Roll into balls, dip in chocolate and decorate to your liking.

Use the crumbles plus some jam in rugelach kind of cookies or other cookies.

• Like 1

Marcel Desaulniers had a recipe in his book Desserts to Die For that was basically a chocolate angel food cake that was allowed to collapse intentionally. He called it a Fallen Angel Cake. So just serve it with some whipped cream or something and say "I meant to do that". :biggrin: 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Crumbs in general are an important bakery ingredient. Worst comes to worst, break up the cake and dry in a low oven then whiz in a food processor or blender just to make the crumb finer. You can then freeze the crumbs and use them in recipes (there's a whole world of crumb recipes), as side decor for cakes, or make rum balls.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!  I will definitely try them if I have such a disaster again.  This particular angel food cake recipe called for greasin the pan AND it had more flour than others, so was slightly heavier.  I normallly immediately invert an AF cake out of the oven to keep the loft, but this one fell right out of the pan.  Hence, the collapse.  I can laugh now!  Love this forum, you all gave me good answers, although I ended up throwing out the mistake while waiting for these excellent answers.

• Like 1