• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using canning jar for sous vide confit egg yolk

Josh71

While researching something about sous vide, I came across to the below article from ChefSteps:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-packaging

In which we can use canning jar for sous vide packaging. Of course, this would apply only on certain type of cooking.

Like in their example, making creme brulee.

I am thinking to use this method to make confit egg-yolk.

Put egg yolk in a small canning jar, fill in with olive oil and aromatics. Then drop in sous vide.

But, I am not quite sure about the temperature inside the jar.

How long is it going to be the same temperature as the target temperature set.

From few config egg yolk recipe that I read, it calls to cook at 55C for 1 hour.

Anyone done this before? :)

I have done some sous vide with canning jars and a vacuum sealer. I have not made the egg yolks, although it sounds interesting. I generally just allow 10 minutes for the jar content to come up to temperature. The only other alternative would be to place a thermometer in the jar prior to sealing and somehow set it so that it doesn't turn off. You could also run an experiment with an open jar in a water bath with just oil and a thermometer in it and see how long it takes to get to temperature.

• Like 1

I can't vouch for timing, but 55C sounds way too low unless you want the yolks to be basically raw.

You right, 55 is too raw. I just quoted from some of the recipes.

I think I will experiment, as I read 63C is the most common voted for thick creamy egg yolk :) 

FYI, Dave Arnold in his podcast 'Cooking Issues' discusses how egg yolks set at a different temp when they are not in the egg. He had no idea why, possible because it is not longer covered in an alkaline material (egg whites). Here is the link: http://www.heritageradionetwork.org/episodes/3439-Cooking-Issues-Episode-109-Pine-Yolks-Soup (its at the 23min mark).

A caller said he tried cooking just yolks at 64 C for an hour and they were still runny. I would try upping the temperature even higher.

• Like 1