• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

The hotel is pretty close to the Toronto airport - cost of course might be an issue - remember renting a car and taking it across the border is harder than renting one in Canada. Apparently Costco has really good deals on car rentals and if you keep watching after you've booked the prices get even better.

The plans sound exciting.  I'm going to put myself down as a tentative.  I will know for sure by the end of the month if that isn't too late. 

This is David Smith.  I forgot my name on EG is my company name.  Probably should change that one....

Edited by lambrecht gourmet (log)
  • Like 1

David Smith

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Tentative 

gfron1 - not seeing a commitment to come above but seeing an interest in Morato!

lambrecht gourmet

• 2 weeks later...
I've forgotten what I posted when I bumped this the other day to the new forum - pretty sure I added someone - so speak up if it's you!

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Tentative 

gfron1 - not seeing a commitment to come above but seeing an interest in Morato!

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

Lurking waiting to decide

DianaM

Hello Kerry and all,

A long time lurker here. I have been jealous of all your past chocolate gatherings and have decided to jump in with both feet and see if I may join ya'll in 2016.

In brief, I am retired from a career in science, but have had a long interest in cooking particularly baking/pastry and, of course, chocolate. In order to get a better handle on professional cooking I enrolled in culinary school 1 1/2 yrs ago to pursue a AAS degree in Baking/Pastry with a side order of Culinary. Don't know where, if anywhere, this will lead me, but I am having a ball doing it (and it is a hoot to drive the 18 and 19 year olds in the program nuts by asking lots of questions of the instructors. Most of the youngsters just want to keep their heads down and not be noticed.)

I have not been to Toronto in probably 30 years and would love to return to that beautiful city. My wife would like to tag along with me if that is acceptable.

Tentatively would plan to arrive on May 11 in order to see a bit of Toronto and be at the Ramon Morato demo at Humber College on Thursday May 12. My wife would enjoy visiting SOMA on Friday, but she will most likely be out shopping/touring Saturday and Sunday.

Let me know if I can crash your party. I sure would like to.

Thanks,

GregV. 

• Like 1

Welcome Dilettante - we will be thrilled to have both you and your wife along. We usually do show and tell on Friday night and get together for a dinner on the Saturday - plans are underway to organize those.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Dilettante +1

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

DianaM

Edited by Kerry Beal
trying desperately to just publish the list without the reference to the last time I posted it (log)

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

DianaM

23 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

DianaM

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

YetiChocolates

DianaM

Well it's official, I'm going to the conference! Just booked my flight :D.  Luckily my training is later in May so it works out, already cleared it with my boss.  So excited!  Planning on getting there Thursday afternoon, so I should be able to make the Morato demo if it is indeed at 5:30.

• Like 3

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

DianaM

• Like 1

Spent some time this morning with David Castellan at Soma's bean to bar facility. They will be moving shortly to a new location - and may not be fully functional in May. But he will be thrilled to show us around and let us pick his brain around bean to bar.

He has a vacuum oven he uses to make milk crumb and a colloid mill for hazelnut paste for his own gianduja. And lots of other gorgeous equipment.

• Like 4

Hey y'all,

Kerry,

Why didn't you say that you had officially reserved the facility.

That the hotel is 5 blocks away from the facility. Just next to one of toronto's cheapest shopping malls just for the bored partners.

It also seems like the sales team of Cacao Barry is preparing a sweet saturday morning and for those who want Ramon Morato demo evening is offered as well.

It might also be possible to organise a masterclass on the friday end of afternoon before the show and tell however a trip in the downtown core of our great city could be fun.

I also heard that the facility will be pretty brand new with gorgeous NEW floors and quite the equipment (I saw a panning machine or 7, and so much more).

It is also possible that some of the top chocolatiers of the city show up.

The dinner will be organized as well for the saturday night and cooked by a couple of young chefs (and not the worst) please indicate allergies when you sign up.

did I forget anything?

It will definitively change from Niagara and I think this years event might be pretty good.

I think you can book your roommate, flight or whatever you want but this one is worth the trip - buy your canadian dollars now too.

• Like 2

The facility will have NEW floors you say?

Can I tell them about the facility?

Second the idea of the americans buying their Canadian dollars now - we are not the lowest we've ever been - but certainly the lowest in years!

• Like 1