• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Franklin Barbecue"

rotuts

Norm

starving here, pretty much

thanks for the ref to the 'blow by blow'

those folks in HM have not contacted me

rats.  i might have to contact them

Im guessing you might do this again or  a few Boston Butts ?

Yum 

Sooo excellent NM  looking forward to your pics

now i don't work for any of these people

Indeed my Agents in HM have not contacted me re the 680

but  :

http://smokingpit.com/Info/Yoder-YS640-Review.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetqILXUh_E

the last one is about bacon.

BTW  that's 3.5 hours for your bacon

better have some pretty strong coffee going to wait that long !

Edited by rotuts (log)

I got the book again from my Lib.  Amazon is out of stock  :huh:

to be fair, I do have a number of BBQ books and Ive studied all that i have and many from the Lib.

i do not need another BBQ book.

this book has 214 pages.  i.e. each actual page has side A and side B.

its not a recipe book.  the first 111 pages are about stick burners, welding, and brisket.  at pp 112 meat is moved on to beef ribs, pork ribs, etc, sausage

there are still some pages later on brisket, trimming etc. 

this is the Stick-Burner's Bible.  just that.

if those NH folks you know  etc

I think it might help the Pellet Cooker too.

ask your library for one and take a peek.

well, the brisket is said to taste really really good consistently. but that's TX and that's brisket not a cut of meat that interests me much.

Well then, consider this your Official and Serious Invitation to a Texas BBQ Brisket Tour.

You let me know when you're going to arrive at the airport in Austin, Houston or San Antonio and I'll pick up your Yankee ass and haul you around to our best joints.

After that, it's possible that brisket might still be "not a cut of meat that interests you much."

But at least you'll know what you're talking about.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

kind offer that, but ive made the Tour w my sister three times.

Taylor,  ( Mikeska's and Meuller's ) and some snappy places in Lockart, etc etc. and  brisket was OK

but sooooo much better was the Sausage, in Taylor at  Mikeska's  unfortunately as I understand it that brother, from a BBQ family passed away.

best 'smoked' sausage Ive ever had was at Mikeska's.  it was a smaller place and we went in  after eating at Meuller's.

I ask for a sausage and gave it a taste.  Wow i said, so much better than across the street.  a gent in the back smiled and laughed and came out and shook my hand

Mr Mikeska him self,  he was pleased as only a Great Chef can be.

i brought back 10 lbs.  froze them at my sisters and wrapped them in may layers of newspaper and put them in my freezer when I got back.

fantastic.

now   brisket  ....   lets just say its not smoked sausage.

you might call your Pal Arron and he could stop by here after he takes his once a year trip to NYC

and Id taste his brisket for sure.

but a 4 hours line   .....   not even for an 18 ***   Fr. Rest.  in Paris round trip included.

but its a kind offer none the less.   

I'm not surprised that Mikeska thanked you hizownself. I'll bet it's not often that somebody walks out of Mueller's (always on Texas Monthly's top five), across that parking lot and into Mikeska's (never on Texas Monthly's top five) and pronounces it better.

However, I'll admit that, for me, and for most Texans, it really is all about the brisket. If you've had Mueller's brisket and you're still not much interested in brisket, then I concede. You do know what you're talking about; you're just not a fan.

And I've never been a fan of Mikeska's and am sure their brisket is never going to be on my personal top five list.

But, based on your recommendation, I'm going to give their sausage another whirl.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yeah now.  That isn't what they were saying yesterday.    Brisket turned out really well, better than any I've had at restaurants around here.  More details at the  link at the bottom.

DSCN2586_zpsijmj5irw.jpg

DSCN2592_zpsoqavxgsc.jpg

Mighty fine looking brisket there, Norm.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This is standing outside next to Penzey's.  On Saturdays and Wednesdays, it is not a parking lot but filled with farm trucks selling all kinds of goodies. 

Just so happens I'm going to be in KC on a Weds in June. I'll be checking this out!

cyalexa, hope you get a chance to check it out.  Penzey's is in front of the farmers market on Santa Fe and a couple doors down is a bakery specializing in pies and next to that is a place that sells olive oils and vinegars..

I went to a party at my nephew's on Sat. and took some bacon rolls I had smoked and some of the brisket from Wed.  I was sitting next to a couple who were eating some of my bacon rolls and they asked questions about it that only experienced smokers would know to ask.  After a while, she mentioned that they were both BBQ judges so I asked their opinion on the brisket.  He held up a slice and pulled on it the same way Franklin did in a video to test for doneness. He said it was perfectly cooked and both of them were kind enough to say it tasted very good.  He said he was surprised that I got those results with only  8 hours in the smoker. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

congrats, NM.  ordered the 640, soup to nuts.  4 - 6 weeks  from NH with plenty  of pellets and a Winter Blanket

Yoder says w the blanket on, pellet use is the same as it it were 72 degrees outside.  nice for the winter cooks.

• Like 1

Have fun with your Yoder.  I need to deal with some rust on the bottom of my smoker firebox.  I had a cover for the Char Broil one and the wind tore it to pieces in a month. The initial tear let water in and held it next to the smoker longer.  They have covers for the Horizon but haven't checked them out.  The rust on mine is from heat use, not weather. 

thank you.

PBS has changed a lot since Polaroid sponsored Julia.

at WGBH.  "This is the French Chef "  back and white  'sponsored by Polaroid   that last bit was < 15 seconds.

'GBH can't tell me if or when they plan to broadest the show

but they have it on the web.

so thanks for the Heads Up.

I would have loved to taste a slice of each.

for the Record.

they also were able to start w Prime.  lucky them.

i would have said, being more or less  ignorant but opinionated, that the last point was not that important

but having gotten several Prime blade roasts ( at the same cost as choice --- they did not sell them as prime )

the grade matters.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Franklin PBS #2  

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365499902/

sausage.

My Tax Dollars are not working for me, as usual as WGBH has no idea if they will ever broadcast this show.

they got plenty of " free-to-them " Martha the Fellon

but they show that (*&^(*Z%%$  before Noon, while you are in Church.

as far as i can tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed.   I did love seeing those pigs enjoying their lives.  I liked them all

esp the pig in the 'water' snoozing away on the L  then the other Pig  came by and moved him right along !

i must say, Arron has thew right idea.  esp. the espresso in the AM

wonder what his system is  bet he Home Roasts more than Meats

BTW : next week : welding   Big Time Welding !

looking forward to it !

Edited by rotuts (log)

I made a batch of his Fig Ancho Beer Barbeque Sauce the other day, to put on burgers at a party. It was a hit.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer