• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Franklin Barbecue"

rotuts

PB  you gotta do what you Gatta do

however, there  is a next time , Yes

we awat  OK just me.

I do think you did the correct thing :

"" mushroom foraging and crappie fishing and drinking really late ""

that puts Brisket where it wants to Be

Its not Pulled Butt now is it ?

nice , thanks

Franklin put that thermometer 1/3 in from the fire-box not 1/3 in from the final heat outlet.

what does he know, anyway.

Edited by rotuts (log)

His thermometer was specific for brisket. I guess the place most people put it is a "general estimate for anything" place.

edit. I have used the kind of thermometer with the wire that goes inside and the gauge sits outside for a second thermometer once in a while but they aren't always trustworthy.  They are OK for back up and most smokers I know use a thermopen on the meat itself.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

for some reason I can't edit the above but ....

note the GrillGrates on pp 24 of the downloaded manual on the first smoker.  its a dangerous manual to DL, let me tell you !

I've seen those grill grates sold separately.

http://www.sportys.com/preferredliving/grill-grates-includes-grate-tool-spatula.html

I wanted to get some a couple years ago but didn't for some reason.  They are supposed to be really good replacements for your grill.  re that Yoder... wow.  Just WOW. 

N.M.  :   you're bad, really Bad.  bad.

:biggrin:

the last  ( OK next to last ) thing i need is a really well made pellet smoker.

one that can endure a N.E. winter, carefully covered , out side.

even w those Covers, how long would those 'Chips' in the electronic controller last in N.E. ?

( I did like that they had 'firm-ware' upgrades, which they send you on some sort of Chip-loaner )

with the insulated cover, I bet Vertical Chickens, Boston Butt  ( of course ! ) and ribs might taste Mighty Fine in the winter.

Beeeeer available inside  next to the WoodStove.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Can an English interloper ask a quick question....?

(I've never even tried this style of barbecue)

when I've seen half a pig/flitch put on a grate and cooked overnight what time of temp is the smoker at?

They then remove the skin and bones, chop and mix with apple cider.

Is this a Texas or Kansas thing?

It's generally a Southern thing or obsession if you will. But enjoyed by all.

The OP is about Texas regional BBQ smoked brisket. Other parts of the States have their own styles and cuts from various animals that they prefer. In Kansas/Missouri it'll be the whole gamut of smoked pork ribs, butt, beef, chicken and other meats. In the Deep South, the Carolinas, Georgia etc the focus is in whole-hog BBQ.

Cooking temps range from 165F (74C) for really long cooks on up to about 275F (135C) for intermediate times. For example I smoked a rack of pork ribs last week @ 210F and they took 7 hours at this temp to be ready.

Ands the difference between BBQ and smoking is...?

A whole pig with an apple in its mouth brings to mind Hawaiian luau cooking where the pig is buried in the ground with hot rocks and wrapped in banana leaves (or burlap and chicken wire).  It is also done in Cuba and a tradition BBQ in Eastern North Carolina.  Most other places in the US do pork shoulder (butt) and/ or ribs.  I had a friend here in Kansas who used to do a whole hog in a 50 gallon drum cut in half and hinged for roasting.  He did it over coals as a roast rather than with indirect heat as is done with smoking (true BBQ). I think that is what adey73  saw.  That is probably done as a roast as my friend did. It is over direct heat at a moderate (325 to 350 degrees)  Length of time is determined by the size of the pig. My friend rotated the pig at least once during the cook.  I remember helping him a few times with that.

In Texas, beef is king and brisket is most popular, but you can get ribs, sausage, pork, chicken, mutton, rattlesnake and armadillo. In West Texas cabrito ( young goat) is popular. In South Texas there is a dish where the head of a cow is wrapped in burlap and cheesecloth and BBQ-ed.  Mexican seasoning is an influence in Texas cooking in general.

Kansas City was a meat packing center for beef from Texas and hogs from Missouri.  It's  central location made it a place where BBQ influences came from all over.  Beef, sausage, chicken and pork are common in restaurants here. 

One point Franklin makes on his vids w the smaller stick-cooker he uses for Brisket and Butt:  he uses a water pan

he says this is for moisture, but ive forgotten his exact words.  the temps at the thermometer are 225, but the cooking times long

the pan looks like a standard aluminum med to lg mixing bowl

its always been my impression from others who seem to know what they are doing  ( Alton Brown, etc al, not necessarily the Test Kitchen )

that the pan is a thermal sink rather than a humidifying item.

this still makes more sense to me as the rig in question is pretty small that he uses for these vids :  seems to fit one whole brisket.

Can an English interloper ask a quick question....?

(I've never even tried this style of barbecue)

when I've seen half a pig/flitch put on a grate and cooked overnight what time of temp is the smoker at?

They then remove the skin and bones, chop and mix with apple cider.

Is this a Texas or Kansas thing?

Actually, the particular style you are describing, is distinctly a Carolina thing.

And, in my experience anyway, difficult (if not impossible) to find outside of the US southeast.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue_in_the_United_States

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ands the difference between BBQ and smoking is...?

City BBQ = Grilling: Direct and high heat, quick cooking for steaks, hamburger, tri-tip, London broil, hot dogs, etc.  Southern BBQ = low indirect heat, long cooking and smoke is almost always involved.  Meat that is tough when cooked too high and fast: ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, etc.  Other meats can be smoked too.  Cold smoking imparts flavor without actually cooking the meat. Salmon and cheese are a couple of cold smoked items.

One point Franklin makes on his vids w the smaller stick-cooker he uses for Brisket and Butt: he uses a water pan

he says this is for moisture, but ive forgotten his exact words. the temps at the thermometer are 225, but the cooking times long

the pan looks like a standard aluminum med to lg mixing bowl

its always been my impression from others who seem to know what they are doing ( Alton Brown, etc al, not necessarily the Test Kitchen )

that the pan is a thermal sink rather than a humidifying item.

this still makes more sense to me as the rig in question is pretty small that he uses for these vids : seems to fit one whole brisket.

Interesting he uses a water pan. I've never seen much benefit in the same way I've never seen benefit from beer can chicken. In my smoker the water pan is used to collect fat drippings. What has been your experience when smoking? Water pan or not?