• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Franklin Barbecue"

rotuts

""   beer can chicken ""

Im a student of this, as the 'can' cost me exactly 5 cents USD

​there might be a thread about this ...  but its Vertical Chicken and after much Jibber-Jabber about this 

the Vertical System drastically improves if you either  

1) get rid of the bottom of the can or without personal injury get rid of most of it   

then more heat flow moves inside the CkCarcass.  the beer or what ever in the initial can does nothing at all

so I got these :

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=beercan+chicken&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31420354845&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10428047952993281340&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4scggtt0fb_b

the ByYoo etc.  note the price diffs

I had a similar item first, but just don't get the  " not stick ' they said   Non !

FD  : I do what I do on a Weber three burner.

I add smoke as ive mentioned before

If you have   "" any system ""  consider those Chicks as 'vertical'  it does make a dif

as long as you drippings smoke and don't flare

enter the " Grill Grates "

FD  I think laser-focused home chef's can do the vertical in a home over

they get the vertical w the little pan on the bottom  and put this on a study tray

i do Vertical out side on the Weber which has now been GrillGrated  ( for even heat and well no flair up ! I can get pretty

lazy ) with or w/o added 'smoke'

Edited by rotuts (log)

The book just came.  The mailman was three hours late and he was a new guy.  I was standing by the mailbox and he handed me three envelopes and said " that's it"  I told him that a book was supposed to come today , so he went in the back of the truck for a couple of minutes and found it. 

fair enough I dont'doubt you in any way.

mine sit OK  perhaps a different webber

but for me V.C.  is simple  easy now w the grill grates  and makes fine chicken

Ill post a pic for my next batch  it might be a fair while as Im trying to eat up a few sheaves from the SV freezer

Im only Guru Stick-Burner Aaron uses the water pan only in the little Peanut Smoker he has shown the Home User

not in those billion gallon Propane tanks he uses at the Office, which he reconfigured by hand.

just a guess  

I think the smaller stick-burner might have temp flux and and the water pan helped smooth that out.

maybe a Road Trip to Austin is in order once we get that " Special Lottery Ticket "

we would need room on the Back Trip for a few Custom Mod  Propane tanks

just saying.

Hey the guru rocks. I use one for my egg. That's how you hold 210* spot on for 7 hours.

May just have to do a little road-trip up to ol' Austin, perhaps next week. Just up the road. I dunno tho about waiting in line that long. What about restroom breaks? Lose your place in line or do ya get a number?

Radtek ad Shel-B

Indeed!  I bought a New Braunfels back around 1990  +/- and practically cried when I saw the new ones (last year).

As was the case with Oklahoma Joe smokers,  New Brauflels smokers are also now owned by Char Broil

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

J :  would you share the photo, ?

My son and his new smoker:

image1.jpg

...and the finished brisket:

20150501_192217.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Member request (log)
  • Like 4

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

ah! they have just started selling those PID/Wifi controlled BBQ's in the UK.

Very interested.

With the risk of a mod moving these posts......

can a Texan tell me if it's accurate and does it produce what "y'all" would consider decent brisket?

ah! they have just started selling those PID/Wifi controlled BBQ's in the UK.

Very interested.

With the risk of a mod moving these posts......

can a Texan tell me if it's accurate and does it produce what "y'all" would consider decent brisket?

If you already have a pit there are a plethora of controllers that'll fit most of them. Try bbqguru.com. 

I no longer have to fiddle with the damper and have spot-on cooks that last many hours with wonderful results. Bear in mind my extant skill without the controller enabled me to adopt its use easily. The way one sets up the lump charcoal or hardwood is still just as important as id the dampers' positions for the desired style/temp of cook. 

Waited far too long before pulling the trigger. Certainly possible to put a brisket on and go about other tasks- go to work for eight hours for the brave...

Thanks radtek.

what interests me about the book is the skill.

however as someone with no skill the pellet auger that delivers the fuel, the PID and the wifi in these smokers would be a good place to start?

Edited by adey73 (log)

James    a big thanks for getting those pics up  .....  

that's the exact smoker Id probably bring home if I went to the dealer in N.H. !

ten years ago it would have been an easy decision to make.    now  .....

at least someone is having good BBQ and less work.

nice better 'dish' and fly zapper  ....   I already have those !

:laugh:

BTW  is that the '640' in the pic ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

AFAIK pellet smokers work great. Never have used one but those that have them are quite happy.

I don't think Aaron is going to give all his secrets away in the book. If it were me there would be a few tidbits that would be kept to myself.

if there are 'significant' secrets its the quality and consistency of the beef.

experience with the 'trim' so that the final brisket has no waste, and the ability to control the fire for a specific 'over-flow' of heat for a long long time

the bit in the very large smokers w the wood as a 'baffle' are intriguing , but probably not significant for the back-yard user.

a lot of huffing and puffing about what's in that spray bottle, but in the end its   1 ) the meat  2 ) the trim  3 ) the heat/smoke

the Yoder 680 is Singing its Song right now to me.

Ive found pellets for  $ 22 / 40 lbs   ( shipping unclear ) or  $ 31 w shipping at amazonia.

http://www.cookinpellets.com/our-premium-pellets/

decent 'independent' views on pellet types here, perhaps ;

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140632/affordable-cooking-pellets

sigh

Edited by rotuts (log)

experience with the 'trim' so that the final brisket has no waste

Boy, I really, really, really disagree with this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's an impossibility unless you want either a dry, tough brisket, or to eat a lot of fat.

I've been watching, for decades, the most-famous and iconic pitmasters in the country, including Aaron Franklin, carve their finished briskets and there is always a lot of fat waste.

You absolutely have to smoke it with that fat to baste and tenderize it while it cooks.

True that you'll likely trim some of the fat before you put it into the smoker, but the properly-finished brisket still will have way more fat on it than anyone wants to eat. It's going to be waste. It's absolutely essential for the cooking, but it's far too rich even to give to the dog.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think I mis 'spoke'

waste 'on the line'  I was referring to   

i.e. a properly trim would result at the slicers table  'all goodness'  """ sur la plate  """

they speak FR in TX  no ?

I always buy a full packer and do a trim a la Aaron... 

Full-packers for $2.79/lb at HEB yesterday. Almost bought one.

We can get super-trimmed briskets (whyyyy?!) and they are usually mostly flat end with the bulk of the fat trimmed off. Expensive and naked looking- but would be my choice for easy corned beef or pastrami.

Super-trimmed... $4.99/lb.

Otherwise I just save those brisket trimmings and they go into kielbasa.

I went to Hen House market to get a whole brisket today but the butcher told me he wouldn't have any until tomorrow. I looked at other stores yesterday and no one had anything for sale except flats.  I got a small pork butt instead and defrosted a corned beef and seasoned it for pastrami and am smoking the two of them.  I expect to have them ready for dinner in 30 or 40 minutes.   They both have shrunk quite a bit.

I have figured out that Franklin smokes his meats with the firebox door open and uses just enough fuel to maintain temperature while I tend to build a longer lasting fire and regulate the temperature with the damper.

d32e5c0a-f9ce-4d68-9a91-3ad2e99c78bd_zps

Boy, I really, really, really disagree with this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's an impossibility unless you want either a dry, tough brisket, or to eat a lot of fat.

I've been watching, for decades, the most-famous and iconic pitmasters in the country, including Aaron Franklin, carve their finished briskets and there is always a lot of fat waste.

You absolutely have to smoke it with that fat to baste and tenderize it while it cooks.

True that you'll likely trim some of the fat before you put it into the smoker, but the properly-finished brisket still will have way more fat on it than anyone wants to eat. It's going to be waste. It's absolutely essential for the cooking, but it's far too rich even to give to the dog.

I know that's the general consensus among BBQ circles but there's no scientific principle that would illustrate why fat basting would have an effect. Fat can't penetrate between the gaps of meat fibres, there's nothing the fat is doing that's making the meat juicier or more tender. BBQ, and most of cooking, seems long on tradition and short on rigorous experimentation and there's a lot of practises that persist and concepts that are misunderstood. For example, it wasn't until Myhrvold that someone showed that duck confit was indistinguishable from steamed duck with duck fat brushed over the top. I suspect something similar might be happening here.

PS: I am a guy.

I know that's the general consensus among BBQ circles but there's no scientific principle that would illustrate why fat basting would have an effect. Fat can't penetrate between the gaps of meat fibres, there's nothing the fat is doing that's making the meat juicier or more tender. BBQ, and most of cooking, seems long on tradition and short on rigorous experimentation and there's a lot of practises that persist and concepts that are misunderstood. For example, it wasn't until Myhrvold that someone showed that duck confit was indistinguishable from steamed duck with duck fat brushed over the top. I suspect something similar might be happening here.

And you may be right. I'm no food scientist so can't argue scientific findings.

But I can offer my own empirical evidence that every single time, and there have been many, that I've been given barbeque brisket wherein somebody smoked the flat only, sans deckle & fat cap, it's been dry and tough.

Whereas conversely, every time, and there have been many, I've had smoked brisket that was so moist, so tender and flavorful that I've closed my eyes and praised the heavens, there have been little lumps of glistening fat that certainly seem to me to have given their all in service of smoked brisket perfection.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

IMO it's only important to trim the really thick fat areas down from 2" in spots to a more uniform piece of meat mostly covered by 1/2" or so caul of fat. Bulk of that will render off. 

Man this has me itching to do a brisket. But the seals on my foodsaver are blown and am finding it hard to find the replacements. 

No way am I gonna even attempt to eat a whole brisket with my yearly physical coming up in about six weeks. Last year my cholesterol was over 400. :huh: