• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with Peeled Vegetables

Shel_B

Toots started to make a soup this morning, and peeled a bunch of vegetables and put them into a pot with some water.  She then got called away and now won't be able to start the soup until Friday.  She'd like to know the best way to store these vegetables.  I suggested keeping them in the pot with the water, covered, in the fridge.  Is there a better way?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

It sounds like the water never even got warm, so the veggies were just sitting in cold water, yes? No reason, but my instinct would be to strain the veggies and keep them in a bag or plastic container in the fridge and toss the water, then start over again on Friday. Or make the soup yourself and save some for her when she gets back, which I am sure she will appreciate.

It sounds like the water never even got warm, so the veggies were just sitting in cold water, yes? No reason, but my instinct would be to strain the veggies and keep them in a bag or plastic container in the fridge and toss the water, then start over again on Friday. Or make the soup yourself and save some for her when she gets back, which I am sure she will appreciate.

Thanks, Katie ... we'll see what happens.

I can't finish the project for Toots ... my schedule and location prevents me from getting to her house until Friday afternoon.

... Shel

You can keep them for atleast a week submerged in ice water in the fridge. I ALWAYS keep my celery stalks in a tall container of cold water in the fridge. They are always crisp and fresh tasting even two weeks later. After a week you may need to peel a thin layer that gets a tiny bit water logged but its better then rubbery veggies.

• Like 1