• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

Speaking about "Buying Power", or how to abuse it... I noticed that Total Wine in DE is selling the Coppola Cabernet for $10.99 (normally $13.49) while it's on sale here this month for $15.99 (normally $18.99)! How do they do it?

Speaking about "Buying Power", or how to abuse it... I noticed that Total Wine in DE is selling the Coppola Cabernet for $10.99 (normally $13.49) while it's on sale here this month for $15.99 (normally $18.99)! How do they do it?

Dennis, you are comparing two completely different systems. State controlled vs privatized. Every state has there own set of laws with regard to alcoholic beverages. You'd be surprised how it varies. I guess the bottom line is what do you value more when $5 is at stake? For me, my time is the most valuable thing (I can't really put a price on it to save a few bucks). Second after you pay for gas to and from Del it's a wash no?

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Dennis, you are comparing two completely different systems. State controlled vs privatized. Every state has there own set of laws with regard to alcoholic beverages. You'd be surprised how it varies. I guess the bottom line is what do you value more when $5 is at stake? For me, my time is the most valuable thing (I can't really put a price on it to save a few bucks). Second after you pay for gas to and from Del it's a wash no?

I usually make the trip once a year right before Thanksgiving and spend about $500, so gas money ($6.00) and the time are not a concern. Plus I enjoy seeing what's available...which is usually a lot more than what we have here. And not only the wines, but they also have a much better beer selection than my local beer distributors. I always pick up at least a 1/2 case of the Tomassi Rafael Valpolicella since you can't buy it in PA. Once my shopping is done there, I head for the Italian Market to pick up fresh ingredients for a pasta dinner. All said, it's usually a lot of fun (I consider searching for wine anywhere as fun since you never know what treasure you'll find) and that night's dinner is always excellent.

BTW...I use to make this trip several times a year before Newman introduced the CS program.

Edited by Dennis (log)

CherieV,

If you have never been to Total Wine you really need to go, better yet make a day of it and take the tour. Total Wine, Moore Bros., Franks Union Mart, and Greenville Wine and Spirits makes a nice round trip. Bring your credit card. Before the CS program I went 4 or 5 times a year(its an hour to TW). I would fill up a shopping cart and go home. Average cost $1500 to $1800. Average saving I figured at 40%.It was worth the trip and a whole lot of fun besides.

Best,

Mike

a bit furhter down the interstate, but worth the time if you are on a wine excursion, is state line liquors in elkton, md.

great pricing, great selction (wine, beer, liqour), far superior to total wine, imho. (no affiliation on my part)

The Upcoming Chairman's Selection list contains some interesting wines at what look to be nice prices. Aside from Parker's comments, does anyone have any experience with the Newton Unfiltered Merlot Napa Valley 2001? A quick Web search makes this look like quite a bargain!

CherieV,

If you have never been to Total Wine you really need to go, better yet make a day of it and take the tour. Total Wine, Moore Bros., Franks Union Mart, and Greenville Wine and Spirits makes a nice round trip. Bring your credit card. Before the CS program I went 4 or 5 times a year(its an hour to TW). I would fill up a shopping cart and go home. Average cost $1500 to $1800. Average saving I figured at 40%.It was worth the trip and a whole lot of fun besides.

Best,

Mike

Mike,

Believe me I have been to ALL the border stores and then some in both Del and NJ. I work for a winery in Napa and have managed the distribution of my portfolio in both Del and NJ as well as Pa. That being said, I guess I am a bit jaded. I guess the way I feel at this point is if you are looking for interesting wines off the beaten path or highly rated wine for a decent price why travel when we have the CS program? I'm not saying that CS is the end all be all but for the average consumer I think it's a pretty nice program.

I understand that the trek to NJ and Del is a whole day for consumers like yourself searching for microbrews and such and buying wine by the case. But you said that you now travel less because of the CS program which I think says it all. You have the option of finding interesting buys close to home and actually make it a point to check out the stores in Pa. For me That's Progress!

:biggrin:

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

"I guess the way I feel at this point is if you are looking for interesting wines off the beaten path or highly rated wine for a decent price why travel when we have the CS program? "

i think the cs program is great, but i wouldn't describe the wines in this program as interesting or off the beaten path. highly rated by some critics sure, but they all seem pretty mainstream offerings to me.

to me unusual well priced wines would be irancy, marcilliac, sancerre rouge, sparkling vouvray, etc. i'd be willing to travel to buy these types of wines by the case.

The Upcoming Chairman's Selection list contains some interesting wines at what look to be nice prices. Aside from Parker's comments, does anyone have any experience with the Newton Unfiltered Merlot Napa Valley 2001? A quick Web search makes this look like quite a bargain!

It's not your grandmother's Merlot, that's for sure. No anodyne little easy-drinking sippy-sippy bottle here. So far I've opened one of a half-case I picked up in the last go-round, and it really is a knock-your-socks-off wine. The nose was restrained, blackberry and chocolate mostly. In the mouth... the first impression is almost like a mouthfull of nettles, the tannin rasps so clearly, but then the fruit hits you, and it's beautiful, all dark fruit, chocolate and leather. The extraction is extraordinary, the wine so dense it's chunky-chewy, but it still feels perfectly in balance, if a bit backward.

It's a great wine, but I think it may be much better in five to ten years. If you're going to drink it soon, you'll need to pour it with very rich food, to give all those sharp edges something to play with. Organ meats, or a well-marbled full-flavored steak. Venison seems like a no-brainer, but it can be lean, and that wouldn't be ideal.

"I guess the way I feel at this point is if you are looking for interesting wines off the beaten path or highly rated wine for a decent price why travel when we have the CS program? "

i think the cs program is great, but i wouldn't describe the wines in this program as interesting or off the beaten path. highly rated by some critics sure, but they all seem pretty mainstream offerings to me.

to me unusual well priced wines would be irancy, marcilliac, sancerre rouge, sparkling vouvray, etc. i'd be willing to travel to buy these types of wines by the case.

No, you're right there. Almost by definition, they have to be wines with a very large production. There has to be enough surplus to press the vintner to slash prices, and the PLCB would have no reason to buy unless it can be fairly widely available throughout the system.

Having said that, there's been a couple of oddballs: a pouilly-fume, a fortified Zinfandel...

I also thought it a pretty good deal, and I can almost hear the snores coming from the cellar. I think its sleeping between the Hanna and the lancaster.

Best,

Mike

Katie,

I got a letter from Sen Rafferty yesterday, with the enclosure of the Inky's 1/5/07 announcement of his hearings.  He basically says that he and two colleagues objected in writing to the gov. End of story.

Best,

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike. I guess I shouldn't be stunned, eh? :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't know what everyone else is doing, but I'm making room for the March shipment and here's what I'm looking forward to; Montes Syrah & Sauvingnon Blanc, Hanna Cab, Raymond Estate Cab, Kaiken Ultra, & Omaka SB. I'm stocked with Italian wines for now, but I'm out of good Cab's/Merlots/Syrahs.

I'd also like to hear what everone else views as their favorite CS purchase to date. I know if I had to pick just one, it would be the Provenance Melot. Who knows, maybe we can come up with the top 10 if anyone is interested...at least before the weather gets nice and we're spending more time outdoors again.

Edited by Dennis (log)

2003 Tenuta Sette Ponti Oreno

2004 d'Arenberg The Laughing Magpie

2003 Achaval-Ferrer Quimera

2001 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve

2002 Flora Springs Trilogy

1997 Tenute Silvio Nardi Brunello di Montalcino

2000 Abadia Retuerta Selección Especial

2002 Richard Hamilton Old Bush Vine Grenache Shiraz Burton's Vineyard

2004 Kaiken Malbec Ultra

2003 Bodega Norton Privada

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

I think it's fitting that this thread has turned to reminiscing the Best of the Chairmans Selections... since it's almost assured that the CS program will be over soon, at least as we know it.

Personally, I'll avail myself of these last lots Newman had a hand in picking, but then I'm DONE. I am inclined to boycott the State Stores in protest of Fast Eddie's bad decision. I guess it's back to asking my friends in NY to order wine for me, and making the occasional pilgrimage to Zachy's or Moore Bros.

This whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth, not unlike the expectation of finally opening a carefully cellared wine only to discover that it's past it's prime, you've waited too long, and it will only get worse.

Thanks all for your educational comments and comeraderie. It was fun while it lasted.

Here are my Top 5;

1. Provenance Merlot 2000

2. Hanna Cab Bismark Ranch 1999

3. Montes Alpha Syrah

4. Raymond Cab Reserve 2000

5. Montes Alpha Cab 2001

Nonorable Mention:

St Francis Cab Reserve Nuns Canyon 2001

IO Santa Barbara County Syrah+ 2001

Kaiken Ultra 2003

The Laughing Magpie Shriaz 2004

I don't know what everyone else is doing, but I'm making room for the March shipment and here's what I'm looking forward to; Montes Syrah & Sauvingnon Blanc, Hanna Cab, Raymond Estate Cab, Kaiken Ultra, & Omaka SB. I'm stocked with  Italian wines for now, but I'm out of good Cab's/Merlots/Syrahs.

FWIW, the Hanna Cabernet Sauvignon "Proprietor Grown" Sonoma County 2003 was at the Devon store yesterday (2/28). I picked up a bottle to try but have not opened it yet.

I'd vote for the:

#1. '01 Sette Ponte Oreno

#2. '01 Sequoia Grove Reserve Cab

#3. '01 Trilogy

#4. 'oo Cosentino "The Poet"

#5. '01 The Fifteen Grenache

just my 2oz worth.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike:

I like those too, I still have bottles of #1 to #4. Do you know if I need to think about drinking these or will they keep a while? They are stored properly.