• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

Did anyone open one of the '03 Lascombes? If so, please post a note.

Thanks,

Mike

I have not, but I have to say that the following is slightly irritating: the sign for the 2003 Lascombes gives a Robert Parker rating of 92-95 points. Parker did indeed give it this rating of April 2005 (the parentheses indicate a barrel tasting), but a year later he settled on 92.

It's one thing if the signs were printed before or around April 2006 and they just didn't know of the most recent rating. I'd hope that the PLCB is not intentionally citing an earlier rating because it's more flattering than a more recent one.

That is, consumers should be able to expect that the ratings cited on product displays are the most recent ones that were available at the time the displays were made.

Thanks for the notes re the '03 Lascombes as Yardley still had some.

Edited by Misha (log)

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

It seems from the paperwork sent to the store that the distributor is currently out of stock. I suppose that in one sense is good news as it appears the Luxardo is still a product they will get.

OK - here's the scoop on the Luxardo Maraschino. The distributor is indeed currently out of stock. It seems that Luxardo Maraschino has gotten a few high profile nationwide corporate placements at a few hotel chains (Marriott is one) as well as at Capital Grill. Hence, the limited supply in PA is being fought over by several bigger fish now, as well as the smaller independent restaurants and consumers that wish to place an SLO for it. The other excellent Luxardo products are still in stock so you can order the Amaretto, Sambuca, Triplum or the new Sambuca Cream (I'll definitely be looking into this) right now.

Maraschino should be back in stock within two weeks. I'll be getting a personal phone call from my local representative from Laird Wine & Spirits so I'll give you all the heads up when that happens. I'll be anxiously awaiting getting my order in as well. Two bottles for the bar at M and one for me! Whee! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I introduced myself to this board by compaining about the CS/PLCB not discounting super high-end stuff. I was wrong on at least one count: the 01 Latour Batard-Montrachet is available for $105. '01 was not quite as phenomenal as '02 for the white Burgundies but this remains one of the truly fine white wines. And this is a jaw-dropping price.

I introduced myself to this board by compaining about the CS/PLCB not discounting super high-end stuff. I was wrong on at least one count: the 01 Latour Batard-Montrachet is available for $105. '01 was not quite as phenomenal as '02 for the white Burgundies but this remains one of the truly fine white wines. And this is a jaw-dropping price.

Humility and admitting one's errors are a wonderful quality, Alcibiades. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

That's the way it works: '02 was a great year, so the market for the late-released '01s collapsed. Enter Newman. There were a number of white Louis Latour '01s in the program: a Chassagne-Montrachet, a Montagny, a Mersault. All at prices that are hard to beat. And I'm still drinking my way through the red '99 Beaune: it wasn't going to live much longer, but it's beautiful just now - especially at $14.99/btl.

Not every one is a winner. In fact, some of the wines everyone likes best have left me cold. But there have been some great buys: Arrowood single-vinyard Syrahs for $17.99 come to mind as personal favorites. And again, not a chance that I could have afforded to drink wines of this quality without the Chairman Selection program.

It seems from the paperwork sent to the store that the distributor is currently out of stock. I suppose that in one sense is good news as it appears the Luxardo is still a product they will get.

OK - here's the scoop on the Luxardo Maraschino. The distributor is indeed currently out of stock. It seems that Luxardo Maraschino has gotten a few high profile nationwide corporate placements at a few hotel chains (Marriott is one) as well as at Capital Grill. Hence, the limited supply in PA is being fought over by several bigger fish now, as well as the smaller independent restaurants and consumers that wish to place an SLO for it. The other excellent Luxardo products are still in stock so you can order the Amaretto, Sambuca, Triplum or the new Sambuca Cream (I'll definitely be looking into this) right now.

Maraschino should be back in stock within two weeks. I'll be getting a personal phone call from my local representative from Laird Wine & Spirits so I'll give you all the heads up when that happens. I'll be anxiously awaiting getting my order in as well. Two bottles for the bar at M and one for me! Whee! :biggrin:

Thanks Katie. I also had a chat with Jane in the SLO department in Harrisburg and she gave me information that matches what you heard.

there is some news about the chairmans selections and two , i guess, new sales promos. this is the link

http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail....004550943&EDATE.

seems there has been a sommelier that helped with the chairmans selections in the past who is now in charge of the sommelier selections, power purchases, and chairmans selections.

Edited by wkl (log)

there is some news about the chairmans selections and two , i guess, new sales promos. this is the link

seems there has been a sommelier that helped with the chairmans selections in the past who is now in charge of the sommelier selections, power purchases, and chairmans selections.

This is quite interesting as I know many of us were left wondering what the status of the Chairmans program was going to be post Newman. I think this is really terrific news in that it seems to broaden the selections of the higher and lower end wines.

It should make Alcibiades happy :hmmm: Can't wait to see what's going to be available.

"....offers sommelier-selected, small-production, highly rated wines from some of the

finest producers and growing regions in the world at significant savings."

not sure how they will be able to do this. highly rated, small production wines usually don't need to be sold off in bulk at discounts.

"....offers sommelier-selected, small-production, highly rated wines from some of the

not sure how they will be able to do this.  highly rated, small production wines usually don't need to be sold off in bulk at discounts.

sounds like off year or less than top rated vintages will be the way they go as they have in the past. This allows them to bring in high end winemakers juice with built in cachet at lower prices.

This is quite interesting as I know many of us were left wondering what the status of the Chairmans program was going to be post Newman. I think this is really terrific news in that it seems to broaden the selections of the higher and lower end wines.

It should make Alcibiades happy :hmmm: Can't wait to see what's going to be available.

Not sure if it's anything more than a rebranding: CS used to cover the entire range, now they've split the program into three. My guess is that one of the major motives is the fact that the Power Purchases are going to stores that up to now weren't involved.

My sense is that CS has been growing considerably, as it becomes successful - both from a retail standpoint and as a business option for vintners. They wanted to sharpen the market targeting at the various price points, and expand the drawing power to the non-Premium stores.

Just guesses, of course. And you're right in that for the split to make sense the selection at both ends would have to increase.

but then they wouldn't be "highly rated" wines........

True, but they have been known (as pointed out somewhere on this thread) to not always use the most recent reviews in their marketing and promotion.

As you rightly indicate, these highly rated limited production wines surely don't need to be "dumped" into the PALCB as they undoudtedly will sell at or close to suggested retail

but then they wouldn't be "highly rated" wines........

"Highly rated" wines have shown up in the program often enough. I'd be more inclined to question the "small-production" part of the statement.

yes, capaneus, i was reacting to the statement that the sommelier selections were:

".....sommelier-selected, small-production, highly rated wines from some of the

i mean, i hope this is the case but, this statement makes my bs meter shoot up into the red.

I wonder if anyone will question the State Sommerlier's travel expenses as they seek out new products for the PLCB? :hmmm:

Is State Sommelier like Poet Laureate? How does one apply for this job? I would most certainly have forwarded my resume to the appropriate parties if I wasn't so outraged by their throwing Chairman Newman under the bus...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Returning to [apparent] bargains, ...

The PLCB inventory lists Chapoutier Crozes-Ermitage "Les Varonniers" 2003 at $25.99 while a quick online search shows the going rate at about $60 (wine-searcher.com; Zachy's is $75). There is not a lot of this around so, as with that "Barbe Rac" CdP 1999 that they had for $29.99 back in December, I plan to pick up a test bottle to try over the weekend with an eye towards a case purchase.

Would this be considered limited production at 600 cases?

[Edited to correct spelling]

Edited by doviakw (log)

From WA, 12/04: "From the north (Rhone), the Crozes-Hermitage Les Varonnieres (fashioned from yields of 5hl per hectare) represents the essence of this appelation. Undeniably the finest Crozes I have ever tasted, it possesses loads of crushed stone, tapenade, blackberry and currant characteristics. This amazing effort tastes more like a Hermitage than a Crozes-Hermitage. Abbundant tannin suggests 4-5 years of bottle age will be beneficial; it should last for 25 years [92-94]".

So, overall, positive feelings from Bobby, whom I tend to trust on Rhone - though not on Bordeaux, go figure.

More importantly, from Pedro Dias' Pretty Drunk Ramblings, sometime July-ish '06: "Holy (expletive)! It's like a steak and berry smoothie, with extra tannin! Definitely one of the Hermitages." This from a Chapoutier tasting last Summer. Wasn't my favorite (that was the Ermitage Le Pavillion), but (thanks doviakw!) it was definitely good enough for me to pick up a six-pack a few minutes ago, after I stumbled on this thread this morning. It's a Hell of a wine at the price.

Seems like some sort of relationship has formed between the PLCB and Chapoutier, occasionally kicking up these odd random bargains. Chapoutier do make a lot of wine - but some of it is among the best in the world, and much of it is in fact small-production, taken in isolation.

A small discovery as a byproduct of the Chapoutier Les Varennieres conversation: the six bottles I bought this morning at 1218 Chestnut disappeared from inventory between now and then. It appears that the system is getting closer to real-time information-gathering: last I had reliable information, inventory was updated overnight.

There are still small amounts scattered about, mainly in SE Pennsylvania: PLCB Code 020070.

I was just watching the PCN [Pennsylvania Cable Network] call in show with the secretary of corrections. And yes I know that is a pretty lame thing to be doing. However, of note was the announcement that next Wednesday at 7:30pm Joseph Conti and Patrick Stapelton of the LCB will be taking calls.

Not sure if your cable system carries the PCN, but if so, tune in and dial them up. I'm sure they would love to get lots of calls from e-gullet LCB fans

They wanted to sharpen the market targeting at the various price points, and expand the drawing power to the non-Premium stores.

Not to needle Capaneus, but I've never understood what "price point" means. How is "price point" any different from the word "price?"