• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

There's another gin from Tanquery called Rangpur which I picked up in Delaware...it's loaded with botanicals. I've never seen it in PA, so if youwant to try it, you'll have to out out of state.

i just saw it yesterday at 12th & chestnut. i was wondering about it. web reviews rate it from way too limey and weird, to beautifully balanced. i don't know if i wanna spend another $22 to find out quite yet, since i have about three bottles of gin sitting here.

The Rangpur is very limey and botanical. Tasty, but needs the proper applications to really shine. It's pretty great in a Gin and Tonic obviously. Probably less so in an Aviation because it would throw off the balance of lemon:maraschino.

You can test drive it at Southwark before committing to purchase if you want. I know they have it behind the bar.

The Hendrick's is a great buy at that price. I've been doing variations on French martinis with it with either lavender or thyme syrup, fresh lemon and a dash of lemon bitters in addition to the Hendrick's and Lillet. They've been quite popular. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for the mixing tips. I've been meaning to pick up some lavender to make a simple syrup to pair. I heard they have it at remedy. Anyone know if it's available at T-bar as well?

BTW, my wife and I dropped in on the M garden to enjoy the weather on Friday. I tried your colonial-inspired cocktail and it was outstanding. We'll be back for sure.

Mr. Sprat:

I certainly hope you'll pop into the bar next time and introduce yourself!

Thank you for the compliment! I'm delighted you enjoyed the punch. It seemed appropriate to the setting that we serve a proper punch in the garden of the Morris House (built 1789), so I set about recreating the famous Philadelphia Fish House Punch recipe that I'd unearthed in my research for a punch article I wrote last month for Main Line Magazine. I substituted Apricot brandy and puree instead of peach brandy, but for all intents it's the same beverage that would have been served in that very garden a couple of centuries ago.

I can almost feel the ghosts watching. I hope they approve. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

that was a fun article, and i missed it the first time around. they left out a bunch of my favorite gins, though. plymouth, hendricks, brokers, not to mention that only going with bombay sapphire and not regular bombay is lame.

i reckon there are only so many martinis you can drink at a sitting, though. 80 appears to be pushing the limit, according to this article from the NY times a couple weeks ago.

I'm surprized no one has commented on the new policy of having to spread all the Chairman's selects around the store, instead of all piled together in front of the door. Kudos to our manager in Collegeville who actually printed a guide so we could find them all.

Best,

Mike

I'm surprized no one has commented on the new policy of having to spread all the Chairman's selects around the store, instead of all piled together in front of the door. Kudos to our manager in Collegeville who actually printed a guide so we could find them all.

Ah. Didn't know it was a policy, just thought it was a judgement call for the manager. In retrospect, it did seem to change simultaneously at several stores.

Personally, I hate it, because I shop particularly for the Selections. I suspect the move is designed to generate more foot traffic throughout the store. Doesn't really make sense, though: either you don't know about the CSs, in which case you aren't likely to seek them out, or you do, in which case you most likely prefer the ease of finding them all together.

Still, it's always been the case that some of the wines wandered a bit.

Cool.  I like the idea of being able to separate red from white and spirits from wine.  It's a definite improvement.

Hopefully fancier software and search capabilities won't be the only improvements.

edited to add:

I stand corrected.  The search mechanism isn't working.  You can only see the list sorted by name, as it was previously.  Any other attempts to sort or filter gives you a "Currently Unavailable.  Please try again later" message.  :rolleyes:

FWIW, the sort/filter mechanism is now working nicely.

Best,

Mike

Yes, agreed. Although, as I work in King of Prussia, Collegeville is a nice handy run up 422 so I may have to check that out.

My biggest problem (being a relative newbie) is still figuring out what's a real genuine bargain and what is just being sold at off prices because, well, that's all it warrants and nobody else would buy it because it's an off year for that Bordeaux region or whatever.

My biggest problem (being a relative newbie) is still figuring out what's a real genuine bargain and what is just being sold at off prices because, well, that's all it warrants and nobody else would buy it because it's an off year for that Bordeaux region or whatever.

Piece of cake, Ian. Piece o' cake.

First, shop the website before you go in. The current Chairman Selections can be found at

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/webApp/Product_..._Selections.asp

Use these to narrow down your interests. Not sure what resources you have access to, but some info on any given wine can usually be found by searching the Web.

Note prices, then go to a website like www.wine-searcher.com and scout out prices around the country. If you like what you see, go back to th CSs list. By clicking on the stock number, you will go to the the Product Search site for that particular item. Select a county to search, and the search will tell you how much of the wine is available at all Premium Selection stores in your area. Go, buy, drink.

Sorry if any of this is old news, just thought it would be useful to put down a step-by-step. The tricky part, of course, is finding reliable evaluations of wines you are curious about. Price searches are useful, to a point, but at some point you'll probably have to try wine forums like eGullet's own, or Mark Squiers' at eRobertParker.com, and just ask the masses. Unless, of course, you have access to a publication you trust. Even with that, you'll still find many wines that just haven't been mentioned. At that point, give a friend a call, buy a bottle, and find a BYOB.

I'm often available :wink:

Welcome Ian! I hope you'll share your finds with us.

As Capaneus said, we're often available to help polish off a bottle of wine in the name of "research". :biggrin:

Tell us about your favorite places in some of the other threads...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome! I'll happily share my experiences :smile: Wine wise...I love Chateauneuf du Pape and (of course) Sauvignon Blanc (I have to like that one, I'm a kiwi). And single malt Scotch always goes down well :wink:

I tried the Segura Viudas Xarello Creu de Lavit 2005 ($9.99) last night at a restaurant (Henry's Cafe in Pottstown, BYOB). Now here is something different! A rich, floral white with a slightly bitter finish that worked on its own before dinner and matched nicely with a rich fish course (Blue-Nose Bass). Being at a restaurant, I didn't take any notes so I'll have to get more (sigh) and taste it again. This could be a nice addition to the summer repertoire.

Research Report...my most recent Reds were OPR (Old Patch Red) $10.49, Oberon Merlot $10.99, & The Wathcher $9.99. I thought all we're Excellent, espceially when you consider the price, but In paerticular, I really enjoyed the Oberon the most. I've probably had it at least 4 times in the last month with all different types of food and it's just plain goood! I wish I could describe the wines better than the way I do (OK, Good, great, or excellent) but I can't seem to find all of the those subtle flavors and aromas that are apparenetly there. For some reason, peppery & earthy are about the only 2 flavors that I can usually nail down w/o hesitation. But, I'll keep trying...

At the Lancaster store today I was looking at the chairmans selections when I was happy to see Wild Turkey Rye whiskey as a CS at 15.99. Recently this has been an SLO item at 25.00 or so. The Wild Turkey rye is 100 proof and is good stuff. Also, on sale this week for 2.00 of the regular price of 49.99 is the Michters 90 proof 10 year old rye.

Also good stuff.

I got a bottle of the Wild Turkey. If only we could get Rittenhouse or Pikesville rye without having to place a case order I would be even happier.

For discussion of these and other rye whiskey's click here

that's excellent news, mike! i've been wondering why they don't carry that for a while now -- i mean, if you carry the bourbon, why not the rye? i like a manhattan made with wild turkey; it's got a rough edge to it that takes some refinement out of the drink and makes for a nice change some nights.

it's still showing up as an SLO item on the website though. i wonder why that is.

is pikesville actually available anywhere BUT maryland?

that's excellent news, mike!  i've been wondering why they don't carry that for a while now -- i mean, if you carry the bourbon, why not the rye?  i like a manhattan made with wild turkey; it's got a rough edge to it that takes some refinement out of the drink and makes for a nice change some nights.

it's still showing up as an SLO item on the website though.  i wonder why that is.

is pikesville actually available anywhere BUT maryland?

It was a Chairmans Selection so I guess when it is gone, it is gone. They only store in Lancaster County that has it is the specialty store I don't think it will be a regular stock item. But, who knows? The Pikesville, which I love, can be SLO but the distributor has a one case minimum. I believe you are correct in that it is only retailed in Maryland. Although on the rye thread some say it is also sold in England.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned upthread or not but the LCB is officially out of the wine/liquor accesories business.

I was in the Newtown shop this morning checking out some of the latest CS selections and saw a bunch of Riedel stemware on clearance. When I asked the manage about it he told me the news.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned upthread or not but the LCB is officially out of the wine/liquor accesories business.

I was in the Newtown shop this morning checking out some of the latest CS selections and saw a bunch of Riedel stemware on clearance. When I asked the manage about it he told me the news.

That's probably why I got the great deal on the Laguiole cork screws at the Doylestown store. I'll look for some of the Reidel stemware to go along with the cork screws. Put them together with a bottle of wine and you've got a great gift for any occasion.

That's probably why I got the great deal on the Laguiole cork screws at the Doylestown store. I'll look for some of the Reidel stemware to go along with the cork screws. Put them together with a bottle of wine and you've got a great gift for any occasion.

That's just what I ended up doing. I got 4 Champagne flutes (Spiegelau Vino Grande Champagne Flute) for like 4 or 5 bucks a piece along with a nice bottle of Prosecco for my brother-in-law's birthday tomorrow.

Nice gift idea Jeff!

In case you're a plan ahead type, my birthday is in March. :smile::wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

At the Lancaster store today I was looking at the chairmans selections when I was happy to see Wild Turkey Rye whiskey as a CS at 15.99.  Recently this has been an SLO item at 25.00 or so. The Wild Turkey rye is 100 proof and is good stuff. Also, on sale this week for 2.00 of the regular price of 49.99 is the Michters 90 proof 10 year old rye.

Also good stuff.

I got a bottle of the Wild Turkey. If only we could get Rittenhouse or Pikesville rye without having to place a case order I would be even happier.

For discussion of these and other rye whiskey's click here

Thanks for the "Heads-up". I never had it before, but I picked up a bottle at the Jenkintown store yesterday and had some on the rocks last night while I watched the final episode of 24. I also happen to have a bottle of the regular 101 Wild Turkey that's on sale this month and the difference in flavor is HUGE. I'm going to pick up a few more this week. Apparently it should be hitting the shelves at a lot stores by this weekend.