• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

I'm running low on reds, does anyone have a strong recommendation on any of the recent Chairman Selects?

If you like Garnacha, I have really enjoyed the 2005 Bodegas y Viñedos del Jalón Catalunya Las Pizarras(secret code 26175 - $19.99). And, I'm anxiously awaiting it's big brother the Altos Las Pizarras which as February is now gone, hopefully will be arriving soon.

Good recommendation, I had it with a steak the other night. Great color, nice nose, and excellent flavors.

Newman is such a class act. And the thing is, I dont know how you can listen to him talk about ANY wine and not want to immediately run out and get that wine and drink it! The man really knows how to talk up wine.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Newman is such a class act.  And the thing is, I dont know how you can listen  to him talk about ANY wine and not want to immediately run out and get that wine and drink it!  The man really knows how to talk up wine.

You're absolutely right. When I heard him describing the ReNoto from Sicily for $10/btl, I knew I would be hunting it down ASAP. Looks like Tri-State Liquors is probably the closest one to me that carries his wines.

Here's an email from Newmans website regarding a tatsing and some information in case you want to subscribe.

Jonathan Newman will be appearing in person at Kreston Wine & Spirits in Wilmington, De. this Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. Jonathan will pour some of our wines and will be happy to talk about anything wine-related (or anything Phillies-related). You will also be able to buy our wines at outstanding prices.

Admission is free. For more information, please call Kreston Wine & Spirits at (302) 652-3792.

Kreston Wine & Spirits

904 Concord Avenue

Wilmington, Delaware 19802

Phone: 302-652-3792

Our retail network has expanded a great deal since our last email. To find the store most convenient to you, and to see a list of our current wine selections, please visit newmanwineandspirits.com/winelist.html

Sarah Fritsche

Director of Customer Relations

Newman Wine and Spirits

415-558-1623 office

sfritsche@newmanwineandspirits.com

www.newmanwineandspirits.com

Edited by Dennis (log)

Article regarding new wine advisory panel at the LCB. I think we all here should contact Stapelton to urge him to appoint Katie Loeb to this group.

LCB wine panel

:blush:

Aw shucks, Mike. That's enough to give a girl a swelled head. :smile:

I'd always told Jonathan that if they had a position as "Potables Laureate" for the Commonwealth I'd want to throw my hat in the ring. :wink:

I'm not so sure this advisory panel is really going to be able to change the selection or the process in the stores. I think that's what the customers don't like and until there are truly sweeping changes like there were previously, it's not going to feel like regular retail. If they allowed the advisors to help choose what was coming in to the stores, rather than just blithely writing up better tasting notes once it got here, that could be considered progress. But until someone with some wine knowledge is actually choosing product again, we're back to the Dark Ages.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just picked up a 2 pack of 2003 Whitehall Lane Napa Cabernet and Cab Reserve at the Newtown store on clearance for $69.00 which is a discount of 50%.

They have lots left, at least they did around noon today. I've read a lot about this wine and am particularly looking forward to trying the reserve.

I just picked up a 2 pack of 2003 Whitehall Lane Napa Cabernet and Cab Reserve at the Newtown store on clearance for $69.00 which is a discount of 50%.

They have lots left, at least they did around noon today. I've read a lot about this wine and am particularly looking forward to trying the reserve.

Are you sure about the price? The system has the two-pack at $75...

Are you sure about the price? The system has the two-pack at $75...

You're right, $74.99.

Price for the Whitehall Lane 2-pack started off at $99.99 last year and it sold very slowly, so they dropped the price to $74.99. It was $59.99 for a week in March when they had the Chairman's Selection 20% off sale, but then it went back up to $74.99.

Then this Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday (but not Friday!) to celebrate the three wine festivals, they dropped the price 10% supposedly on all wines being poured at the festivals, although this wasn't widely advertised and the discount seems to have been applied a bit inconsistently. Anyway that's why you probably got it for under $70, but tomorrow it's back to $74.99.

No question it's a terrific price. Think of it as paying regular price for the reserve and getting a bottle of the non-reserve thrown in for free. I hope you enjoy it.

I just got this email alert from Joe Canal's, guess they will be next on the litigent list of PALCB.

I'll be there and I hope a few of you fellow wine affectionados come out too. I really miss this guy after browsing the Newtown Specialty store, totally devoid of any Chairmans product.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Newman Selections Tasting!

Just who is Jonathan Newman? He is the 2003 Wine Enthusiast Man of the Year, was Chairman and wine buyer for the largest wine and spirits purchaser in the U.S. (the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board ) before founding Newman Wine & Spirits. He also earned the 2004 American Wine Society Award of Merit, the Guild of Sommeliers’ Distinguished Service Award, and was named by Marvin Shanken’s Market Watch magazine in 2005 as one of the Top 5 Leaders of the alcohol beverage industry.

Newman uses his palate and sense of value to buy great wines at hot prices from wineries all over the world. He combs the world looking for outstanding ultra-premium wines that, for whatever reason, aren't selling as quickly as the winery would like. He tastes everything they buy, and they deal only with excellent wines. Newman walks away from more deals than he makes. Every Newman wine selection is a one-time opportunistic purchase –– so buy them now, becaucause when they’re gone, they’re gone!

And now you have the opportunity to taste some of Newman's fantastic selections at an exclusive Joe Canal's tasting event.

Date: Saturday, May 31st

Time: 1pm to 3pm

Place: Joe Canals Lawrenceville Store

3375 Rt 1 South

Lawrenceville, NJ

And best of all the sampling is FREE!!

No Reservation Needed

Martellotto Reserve Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Paso Robles, California

"This sophisticated wine delivers plenty of bright cherry fruit and pretty raspberry and floral notes, along with an undercurrent of vanilla and an elegant mouthfeel. You can taste the Syrah in hints of smoke and spice."

Suggested Price $29.99

Regular Price $24.99

Bottle Club Price $18.99

Penny Lane Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Sonoma, California

"This cheerful wine delivers plenty of cherry fruit with the additional complexity of toasty oak. Try it with steak, burgers, lamb chops or fried chicken. Or, just enjoy a glass with a record album -- remember those?"

Suggested Price $16.99

Regular Price $13.99

Bottle Club Price $10.99

Silver Spur Los Carneros-Sonoma Valley Chardonnay 2004

Sonoma Valley, California

"This elegant Chardonnay in the classic Chablis style offers plenty of golden apple and nectarine fruit with an appealing minerality. You can really taste the quality of the grapes used to make this wine."

Suggested Price $16.99

Regular Price $14.99

Bottle Club Price $11.99

Amberton Chardonnay 2005

Napa Valley, California

"This Chardonnay strikes an elegant balance with its toasty, lemony flavor. It’s easy to drink, complex enough to be interesting, and a great accompaniment to roast chicken or fish dishes. Or, just enjoy it as an aperitif with friends."

Suggested Price $15.99

Regular Price $12.99

Bottle Club Price $9.99

Amberton Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Napa Valley, California

"Here’s a Sauvignon Blanc that combines the virtues of California’s forward fruit and New Zealand’s herbal complexity. It’s lemony without being too tart, and gives you some interesting eucalyptus notes without going over the top. Its balance shows the mastery of a skilled winemaker"

Suggested Price $15.99

Regular Price $12.99

Bottle Club Price $9.99

We reserve the right to limit quantities. Not responsible for typographical errors. In case of errors, the lowest price allowed by NJ State law will apply. Products while supplies last. Artwork does not necessarily represent items for sale. Shipping available in select states.

Shop online @

www.UltimateWineShop.com

Michael Brenner

General Manager - Operations & Marketing

Joe Canal's Discount Liquor Outlet

www.UltimateWineShop.com

489 US Route 1 South

Iselin, NJ 08830

732-726-0077

3375 US Route 1 South

Lawrenceville, NJ 08648

609-520-0008

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running low on reds, does anyone have a strong recommendation on any of the recent Chairman Selects?

If you like Garnacha, I have really enjoyed the 2005 Bodegas y Viñedos del Jalón Catalunya Las Pizarras(secret code 26175 - $19.99). And, I'm anxiously awaiting it's big brother the Altos Las Pizarras which as February is now gone, hopefully will be arriving soon.

Good recommendation, I had it with a steak the other night. Great color, nice nose, and excellent flavors.

Dennis,

Glad you enjoyed it!

Seems the Altos is in Limboland as, while the code # is still valid, it's not in any of the stores.

Here's another pretty interesting "buy" albeit a bit pricey - the '05 Andrew Will Sorella - Secret Code: 14669. 2005 is the highest rated vintage year for WA state and this WS95 was rated even higher than the '05 Quilceda Creek. While I'm not contemplating infanticide by opening one yet, I surely bet that this is gonna be a beauty. Interesting to note that only 805 cases were made (PAWS got about 7 of 'em) and average price on the web seems to be about $62. (not including shipping).

Misha

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

• 2 weeks later...

Further fact checking: Coho Stanley Ranch Pinot Noir '06, "now" $39.98.

And "then"? Well, turns out that the PLCB price is higher than any found on Wine Search. Granted, those were all California prices. But it's the first time I've found this to be the case.

Just mapping the slide, folks. Filming the slo-mo car wreck.

On the up side, the prices on the incoming assorted Australian issues are still competitive, for some fairly appealing juice. Much of it is highly rated by Parker for all the (usual) wrong reasons, but there are some real gems in there. And of course some folks like what Bob likes.

And a little further research prompted by the above leaves me horrified and distressed: the large majority of the new offerings are substantially more expensive than elsewhere. There appear to be the odd bargain scattered in there, but given the overall pattern I think I would be extremely careful before buying those as well: current management don't seem to be especially inclined to cut suckers a break.

That, if you're wondering, is you and me.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

Went to a tasting hosted by Jonathan Newman on May 31 at the Lawrenceville, NJ Joe Canals store, and I have to say that Newman hasnt lost a step, and still talks about wine with an enthusiasm seen only by our own Katie and Andrea Immer.

If you aren't craving wine after listening to Newman for jjust a few minutes, you aren't listening. He poured 4 wines at this tasting, all from small boutique wineries, as he called them, a Sauvignon Blanc, a Charcdonnay, a Cabernet blend, and a Cabernet Sauvignon. Cant recall the names now, but all were superb, and just plain stupid cheap, the Cab topping out at $18. You bet I bought a bottle of each.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Speaking about the Chairman, The impostor who currently reigns at our PLCB has no connection with us at all. Here's an excerpt from this mornings paper regarding the newly proposed wine kiosk; "Liquor Control Board chairman Patrick J. "P.J." Stapleton III said the kiosks were about modernizing and giving customers what they wanted: one-stop shopping for food and wine. Who does he think he's kidding? If he cared, he'd let the super markets sell it like the majority of states already do. Here's a link to the entire article about buying wine from "Big Brother", it's pretty scarry stuff....

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/...LCB-style_.html

Perhaps this will soothe the pain of no more wine bargains. The 'accessories' sell-off is back on. Look for Riedel Viogner stems for $2.99 each. Almost as good as Bed, Bath & Beyond dumping Spiegelau sets of 4 Vino Grande Bord stems plus a decanter for $9.99 :biggrin:

which PLCB outpost has this deal?  :D

I found them @ Ardmore. Hope that they're elsewhere...close to you!

PLCB staffer said that they were for trade so they may not be as delicate as consumer Riedels. They seem fine to me, particularly for $3 a pop.

So, my bottle of Ricard Pastis de Marseille is nearly empty and I go down to a state store to buy a replacement. Not only is it not available at the store, it is not available at any other store and it can't be special ordered. Pernod isn't quite the same. Does nobody but me drink the stuff in Pa?

One more comment on close-out accessories. I just discovered that you can find out what's available where by searching terms such as 'Riedel' and 'Spiegelau' on the PLCB Product Search Page. Hmm - $2.99 Riedel Riesling/Sangiovese stems...

Nice to find something worth buying in a State store!