• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish turning technique

S_AndPepper

It depends on what kind of fish and how I am cooking it.

If steaming (my preference for many fish), then I don't turn it*.

If frying whole or filleted fish in the wok Chinese style, I use a normal wok scoop.

If frying filleted fish in a western style, probably a fish slice.

*Among many Chinese people who fish for a living, there is a taboo against turning a fish, either in the pan or at the table. The turning of the fish is symbolic of the overturning of the fishing boat - a bad omen.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It depends on what kind of fish and how I am cooking it.

If steaming (my preference for many fish), then I don't turn it*.

If frying whole or filleted fish in the wok Chinese style, I use a normal wok scoop.

If frying filleted fish in a western style, probably a fish slice.

*Among many Chinese people who fish for a living, there is a taboo against turning a fish, either in the pan or at the table. The turning of the fish is symbolic of the overturning of the fishing boat - a bad omen.

Wow, never knew that :) But do Chinese also don't turn it in the pan? How do they do it?

But do Chinese also don't turn it in the pan? How do they do it?

I'm not sure I understand your question. How do they do what they don't do?

Fish is often steamed in China. There is no need to turn steamed fish during the cooking process. When eating, however, when the flesh on one side has been devoured, less superstitious people will flip the fish, using chopsticks,  to get at the other side's meat. The more superstitious will lift out the backbone etc without flipping the fish and continue eating the lower side's meat.

Fried fish is totally different.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Interesting question after a moment's t hought.

Fish spatula, or tongs ever so gently.

Or, more commonly for a filet, tilt the pan, slide the fish up the curved side and use my finger, or a fork, to ease it to the other side.

The huge "secret" in frying fish is to use enough oil, make sure it is hot enough before adding the fish and then not moving the fish until it has formed a crust. After I learned this I had far fewer disasters.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The last part that Anna mentions seems to be the biggest secret. If everyone knew that, the market for non-stick pans would collapse. Leave the fish alone! When the surface browns adequately, it will release.

Having the right tools is helpful as long as you remember they're not crowbars. You shouldn't ever be prying the fish off the pan. I like a standard fish spat (I use it for everything, but it really shines on fish and pancakes) and often use this with a straight or offset pastry spatula in my other hand. Having a second spat let's you support a delicate fish while turning. For smaller things, the pastry spat may be all you need. I learned the utility of these from alums of Thomas Keller's and Grant Achatz's kitchens. They use them exclusively.

33-920.jpg

Notes from the underbelly

One other minor trick. If you dust the fish at the last minute to promote release and crisp skin, try wondra flour. This is wheat flour with modified (pre-gelatinized) starch, so it doesn't need long cooking to dissolve or to lose the raw flour taste. I learned this from the kitchen at Le Bernardin but haven't tried it on my own.

• Like 2

One other minor trick. If you dust the fish at the last minute to promote release and crisp skin, try wondra flour. This is wheat flour with modified (pre-gelatinized) starch, so it doesn't need long cooking to dissolve or to lose the raw flour taste. I learned this from the kitchen at Le Bernardin but haven't tried it on my own.

I use Wondra all the time when cooking fish in a pan. Rice flour works well too

The last part that Anna mentions seems to be the biggest secret. If everyone knew that, the market for non-stick pans would collapse. Leave the fish alone! When the surface browns adequately, it will release.

The problem is that on a lot of home stoves, by the time the surface has browned adequately to release, the fish is already overcooked. So I use a non-stick pan at home to cook nearly all fish.

For that matter, I would say that part of the technique of turning fish without destroying it is to not overcook it first. It's more likely to fall apart if it's already starting to flake significantly when you go to flip it.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The problem is that on a lot of home stoves, by the time the surface has browned adequately to release, the fish is already overcooked. So I use a non-stick pan at home to cook nearly all fish.

For that matter, I would say that part of the technique of turning fish without destroying it is to not overcook it first. It's more likely to fall apart if it's already starting to flake significantly when you go to flip it.

I admit to using non stick pans for cooking fish and eggs. I've tried my stainless pans (all clad and disc bottoms) and agree by time the fish releases it's practically over done. I also like to cook my fish fillets mostly on one side, about 2/3 of the way to get a good crisp crust on one side then flip and briefly finish. My range top is suppose to put out 15K BTUs on high. So though not commercial high temps still puts out decent heat

I'm not convinced this is an issue. I have a weak home stove, but for most fish don't even use the highest heat if cooking all the way in a pan. Unlike with most meats where all the way up isn't even high enough. I suspect if if it won't release, there are other issues, like the fish being adequately dry, or the pan adequately preheated. I cook even thin fish like trout, skin on, on a stainless surface without sticking. You have to be more precise about everything than with non-stick, but it rewards you with a slightly crisper and better browned skin.

David Bouley used to talk about using Wondra when frying practically everything. Fish, scallops, chicken, etc.