• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your last dinner?

Hi! I am a student from the Netherlands. I am interested in the eating habits of people.  I saw this forum and hope some people can help me out answering these questions for a little study I am conducting, you would really help me out :)

The last time you had people over for dinner, who were the guests (friends/family/other) and what did you serve?

How would you describe the dinner (casual or formal)?

How did you serve the food to your guests (for example: already plated, in a dish/bowl, in a pot/pan)?

What kitchen utensils did you use to transfer the food (to the plate)? And did you do this in the kitchen or on the dining table?

Do you use these utensils purely serving or do you also use them for other purposes (for example the cooking itself)?

Does these utensils fit with the rest of your tableware? Does it help the mood you want to create? Do you find them aesthetically pleasing?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mjx (log)

Hi! I am a student from the Netherlands. I am interested in the eating habits of people.  I saw this forum and hope some people can help me out answering these questions for a little study I am conducting, you would really help me out :)

The last time you had people over for dinner, who were the guests (friends/family/other) and what did you serve?

Family - take out chinese served

Casual

How did you serve the food to your guests (for example: already plated, in a dish/bowl, in a pot/pan)?

Help yourself out of the cartons

What kitchen utensils did you use to transfer the food (to the plate)? And did you do this in the kitchen or on the dining table?

​Regular kitchen forks and spoons - in the kitchen - actually we ate in the kitchen as well as the 'dining table' is not really accessible.

Do you use these utensils purely serving or do you also use them for other purposes (for example the cooking itself)?

Multipurpose

Does these utensils fit with the rest of your tableware? Does it help the mood you want to create? Do you find them aesthetically pleasing?

Kind of reminds me of the question I was asked by the folks from Ethan Allen when I bought a chair to park my buns on in the basement den - they wanted to know the 'focal point' of my room.  Told them it was the TV - didn't seem to impress them too much.  Anyway - my tableware is a bit of a hodgepodge - it certainly goes well with a casual mood.  I find some of them more aesthetically pleasing than others - for examples I like the little forks that came from Texaco more than the longer forks that came from the Oneida outlet for eating - but the longer forks are more useful for scrambling eggs in a bowl.  

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Friends  We had  herbed goat cheese and crackers,  Jewish-Greek stifado (beef stew with lemon and walnuts), egg noodles, asparagus with olive oil, salad of lettuces and apple with vinaigrette, accompanied by wine, and for dessert, pineapple-upside down cake with whipped cream, accompanied by coffee

Casual

Serving dish

Serving spoon at the table

Serving

Yes, part of the set.  I prefer them to be aesthetically similar and it pleases me.  However, I'm bored with them and would like different ones!

Thanks in advance!

Cassie, my son's fiancee had a half brother that she had never met.  After they found each other he flew in from New York City.  In the morning Cassie's other brother and sister who both live here in Kansas City met to all go out and see the sights together.  I was expecting they would be gone all day and was not planning a meal but I had put a slab of spare ribs in the smoker.  When they saw that they said they would be back for lunch.  As soon as they left I ran to the store and got a couple slabs of baby back ribs because they cook faster, and added them to the smoker.  We had ribs served cut up on a platter, homemade BBQ beans, grilled corn, store bought potato salad and hard rolls.  Everything was served in bowls, on a platter and in a bread basket.  Everyone helped themselves to whatever they wanted. Serving size spoons were used. In this instance, serving utensils matched the rest of the tableware.  They were not used for aesthetic considerations, just used because that is what I grabbed.  We ate off of paper plates. Cooking utensils were not on the table.  Soft drinks, juice and water were served.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

The last time I had invited guests for dinner that was planned ahead of time we had a Shrimp  a la Louis appetizer with beets and hard cooked eggs, Scandaninavian style cucumber salad, home made bread, Slottsteck Norwegian Pot Roast with gravy, squash and onions with brown sugar and Schwartzwalder Kirschtorte (black forest chocolate cherry cake)  Everything was made from scratch. The appetizer was plated ahead of time, the rest of the meal was served family style where all the dishes are passed around  The dishes were white and black decorated stoneware and the serving dishes were green white and gold decorated porcelain.  Serving utensils matched eating utensils. Wine served in stemware and water in tumblers.

ps OOPS forgot to add baked potatoes and the pot roast was braised and served with carrots, celery and onions.  Guests were neighbors and dinner was casual.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Six friends - starter was a poached pear salad with bitter greens and goat cheese, then a risotto, then carbonnade flammande, drunken beans, glazed root veg, potatoes, a sorbet, tiramisu and later Welsh rarebit. The theme was cuisine a la biere, so all the dishes contained beer.

Very casual.

Starter, sorbet, dessert and rarebit were plated, the rest help-yourself out of communal dishes in the middle of the table.

Serving spoons at the table.

Serving only.

No, no, no. We are three sharing a house so our cutlery is a total jumble.

Thanks in advance!

Yesterday.  Moussaka, Spanakopita with Butterscotch pieces in ice cream for dessert.  Guests were neighbors

Casual

From the kitchen, in casserole pans.

Served with dining room serving utensils, done in the kitchen.  Refilled in the kitchen later.  Dessert served in the dining room from the buffet with an ice cream scoop.

Use the utensils for serving only

Our mood is always casual...often even more casual than yesterday, as with the summer dog crowd.  That's a serve yourself group where ever we can find room to put all the food.  Some of the serving utensils came with our cutlery...some didn't.  They don't create any mood.  Aesthetically they are a mishmash, but they are large and that's all we care about.

Good luck with your project.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I thought this was going to be about me waiting to be taken to the gallows and being asked what I wanted for a last dinner.
:raz: 

family, salad, lasagna with garlic bread

casual.

pot/pan

kitchen spatula

In this case, just for serving... but they sometimes get used during the cooking depending on what I'm cooking.

nope - wasn't going for a mood, just filling bellies - not particularly but for casual serving of casual meals, I really don't care

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi! I am a student from the Netherlands. I am interested in the eating habits of people. I saw this forum and hope some people can help me out answering these questions for a little study I am conducting, you would really help me out :)

Last night. The guest was my dad. I served carnitas tacos. We had fruit for dessert.

Casual.

The food was partially plated. I plated the tortillas with some of the braised meat and a few slices of avocado, then we helped ourselves to the garnishes: shredded Mexican cheese, salsa fresca, various hot sauces, lettuce, sour cream, etc. The garnishes were served in bowls of various sizes.

For the plated items: fingers for the tortillas, a plastic spoon for the carnitas, and a regular spoon for the avocado (in the kitchen).

The garnishes were on the kitchen counter next to the dining table. We used soup spoons, tea spoons, and a small ladle for the salsa.

The plastic spoon was used for cooking too.

The other utensils were used only for serving.

Yes, they are part of the same set and I like them. :-) They are Danish modern and fit with the rest of the house.

My boyfriend (let's call him "B" for now); we had insalata di radicchio (radicchio salad, with honey-roasted shallots, heirloom cherry tomatoes and ricotta salata cheese); broiled cod; broccoli and cauliflower, with heirloom tomatoes, garlic and lemon.

That was in late November 2013.  B lives in San Francisco and we see each other in person every 6-8 weeks.

Edited to add that B stayed with me over the course of a little over a week and a half.  The meal described above was one of the dinners during his visit.

Casual.

Plated, in shallow salad bowls and plates, as appropriate.

I can't remember.  It was probably some combination of a spatula, a wooden spoon and regular forks/spoons.  I plate everything in my kitchen, then bring it out to my giant wooden table.  When you live in a studio the size of a shoebox, certain sacrifices have to be made.

It depends on what it is being cooked and served. 

The kitchen utensils are a mish-mash.  My tableware utensils aren't.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Friends for Superbowl party.  Served mostly finger-foods - chicken wings, pigs-in-a-blanket, smoked salmon, artichoke spinach dip, chili, cupcakes. Others contributed 7-layer dip & cream puffs.  Also served lots of beer.

Casual.

Buffet-style, on serving platters. Except for the chili - that was in a pot on the stove.

Tongs, spoons, ladle.  And uh...fingers. I put everything on the serving platters in the kitchen, then brought it out to the dining table for people to help themselves.

Mostly for serving.

They fit in that they're all functional. They are neither aesthetically pleasing nor unpleasing.  Tableware and serving utensils are in fairly decent shape, not so much the kitchen stuff.

Edited by Beebs (log)