• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Garlic Sauce Ideas Wanted

Shel_B

I'd like some proven recipes or ideas for a lemon garlic sauce, mostly for vegetables but also for pasta.

I've been playing with this for a while and just can't seem to get a satisfactory result.  The sauce doesn't adhere well to the veggies or pasta, the flavor is weak, or sometimes the sauce is too oily.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'd like to stay away from using heavy cream.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Since you already stated that you want to stay away from heavy cream, I'm going to go ahead and ask up front where you stand on the inclusion of egg yolk.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What fat do you want to use? Or should I say do "that you consider acceptable to your taste and lifestyle".

Olive oil would be ideal, butter is OK too .... Thanks!

... Shel

The very simple method that I enjoy as do those I cook for is as follows:

In the mortar & pestle I mash garlic cloves, lemon zest, salt and black peppercorns (I am a pepper hound so that is of course optional). To the gently heated olive oil in a skillet I add the "paste" until the garlic just begins to take on color. Off the heat I add a squeeze of the lemon. The proportions are to your taste. Using very fragrant fresh organic lemons that have a lovely oil in their zest is the deal maker I think.

• Like 1

Since you already stated that you want to stay away from heavy cream, I'm going to go ahead and ask up front where you stand on the inclusion of egg yolk.

Never thought about egg yolk.  I'd certainly consider it, and in any case, would like to know how it's used in such a sauce.

... Shel

In the mortar & pestle I mash garlic cloves, lemon zest, salt and black peppercorns (I am a pepper hound so that is of course optional). To the gently heated olive oil in a skillet I add the "paste" until the garlic just begins to take on color. Off the heat I add a squeeze of the lemon. The proportions are to your taste. Using very fragrant fresh organic lemons that have a lovely oil in their zest is the deal maker I think.

I'll give it a try tonight ... the technique is similar to what I've done, except for making the garlic paste.  I've used finely chopped or minced garlic.  Getting the garlic to adhere to the veggies or, to a lesser extent, noodles, has been my problem.  Maybe the paste will help.  Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Google "avgolemono sauce"

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

Google "avgolemono sauce"

Wrong sauce ... I want a lemon garlic sauce not a lemon egg sauce.  I suppose garlic could be added, although Heidi's idea is a lot closer to the direction I want to go.

... Shel

Worked out pretty well.  I don't have a mortar and pestle, but combing some salt with diced garlic and zest, and using a knife on a cutting board to create a paste, did a decent job.  The M&P would have been better, though.  Adding zest to the garlic is a good technique .... that'll be something I'll do again.  Toots liked the sauce quite a bit, so it was certainly a success by my primary standard.  Thanks!

... Shel

I tried this over fish and asparagus a few nights ago, and was delighted with the results.  As Shel_B notes above, the lemon zest adds an extra brightness that I hadn't considered before in the sauce context.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I tried this over fish and asparagus a few nights ago, and was delighted with the results.  As Shel_B notes above, the lemon zest adds an extra brightness that I hadn't considered before in the sauce context.

Perhaps it should be noted that a Microplane was used for the zesting, which, as you know, gives nice, small, thin pieces of zest.  The zest absorbed well into the salted garlic - even before cooking the smooshed garlic richly perfumed the air with a strong lemon fragrance.

... Shel

Just wanted to let you know that I've been very pleased with your suggestion about making a lemon-garlic sauce.  I've played with your technique three times since you posted your info, and each time the results are improved over the previous try.

Since I don't have a mortar and pestle, after my first try I started grating the garlic on the Microplane and crushing the lemon zest and garlic together.  Works pretty well.  The latest iteration used the Microplane and I used three styles of garlic: cooked as you described plus some added roasted garlic, and some 'planed raw garlic.  The sauce had a wonderful depth and flavor to it.  And Toots has been enjoying the results quite a bit, too.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

... Shel

You can have a lot of fun improvising with lemon and garlic, since both ingredients work well in so many ways. Lemon juice is an acidulator and a great solvent for aromatics; garlic is both delicious and an emulsifier.

I'd briefly infuse herbs or other seasonings into the lemon juice, then mix in garlic pulp. You can then whisk in an oil of your choice, like olive oil, or something that's already an emulsion, like cream or whole butter.

You could add other liquids to the lemon first, like stock or reduced wine. 

If you need to hold the sauce for a while you can incorporate a bit of xanthan gum into the liquid before stirring in the oil ingredients, to stabilize the emulsion.

Some of these variations are similar to aioli. If you used emulsified egg yolks and butter you'd be moving into hollandaise family sauces. 

Notes from the underbelly

I agree.   For a quick dinner last night, I thawed some cooked, frozen shrimp and warmed them in this sauce, then used it to lightly dress some TJ's lemon pepper pappardelle tossed with steamed broccoli and orange bell pepper strips.  Ready in the time it took to cook the pasta, pretty and fresh tasting.  I thought it would be lovely on a piece of fish and will try that next.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

I agree.   For a quick dinner last night, I thawed some cooked, frozen shrimp and warmed them in this sauce, then used it to lightly dress some TJ's lemon pepper pappardelle tossed with steamed broccoli and orange bell pepper strips.  Ready in the time it took to cook the pasta, pretty and fresh tasting.  I thought it would be lovely on a piece of fish and will try that next.

That sounds great!  I was planning a trip to TJ's today to get, amongst other items, those lemon pepper pappardelle - which are a great noodle - and I'll grab some shrimp as well.  And I'll check my broccoli supply, too.  Thanks for the dinner suggestion.

... Shel