• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast Swan

Arey

In another forum I read there has been much discussion about mute swans as an invasive destructive species. One of the posters goes on legal authorized swan culling where some of the cullers make jokes about "off to the Renaissance Fair you go". I was wondering if anyone here has ever had roasted swan, if so how did it taste, and how was it presented. It it was a Tundra or Trumpeter swan don't want to know about it.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I was once given an entire breast from a swan shot near the Outer Banks of NC. It was huge and the meat was quite dark. As I recall we brined the whole thing. Made skewers with half of it and battered and deep fried small pieces of the other half. If eaten just this side of medium it was juicy and tasted much like Canada Goose. Cooked past medium it got gamey, dry and chewy. Not sure what species it was but the hunter needed a 10 gauge shotgun to bring it down.

Not sure what species it was but the hunter needed a 10 gauge shotgun to bring it down.

Standard gauge for the really big birds like that and geese.

You will not find swan being cooked in my renaissance kitchen.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Lack of knowledge of how to prepare it coupled with how many pounds of a given meat I need to have to be able to allow 80 people a reasonable small portion.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

In another forum I read there has been much discussion about mute swans as an invasive destructive species. One of the posters goes on legal authorized swan culling where some of the cullers make jokes about "off to the Renaissance Fair you go". I was wondering if anyone here has ever had roasted swan, if so how did it taste, and how was it presented. It it was a Tundra or Trumpeter swan don't want to know about it.

It is really the truth. In the eastern US these big aggressive zoo-escaped birds screw-up native bird's nesting sites and fish spawning beds. They should be exterminated like the lion fish in the Caribbean.

edited to add. you could eat them

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

I'm sure you could have more one swan to cook, and if you cut it into cubes and served it on skewers as catdaddy described it would be the height of authenticity. And maybe just one swan roasted and the head tail and wings re-attached and on a big platter would make a great centerpiece. Although, you might want to use papermache or fiberglass for the re-attached pieces. There's a limit to the degree of authenticity some people can take. I found a very informative source on the internet,
http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2012/08/24/roast-swans/

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

You will not find swan being cooked in my renaissance kitchen.

Just wondering why not? Philosophical reasons? Environmental reasons? Other ....?

I hear tell that, in England, swans are the property of the Queen, and so no swan and chips for the common folk, unforch...

From your own NY Times, the following: "Until 1998, under a law dating to the 12th century, killing or injuring a swan was classified as treason, and the crown retains ownership of all unmarked mute swans in areas along the River Thames" (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/world/europe/england-queens-swan-is-barbecued-and-eaten.html?_r=0)"

I hear tell that, in England, swans are the property of the Queen, and so no swan and chips for the common folk, unforch...

In the England and Wales some swans belong to the Queen. Only mute swans with unmarked beaks are hers, and she only exercises her rights on the Thames and and its surrounding tributaries. Other swans belong to two ancient merchants' guilds - the Dyers' and the Vintners'. To kill a swan is still a criminal offence, but no longer classified as treason, as in the past.

Many, many years ago, in junior school, a classmate shared his packed lunch of swan sandwiches with me. I only remember being unimpressed. The swan was poached, and I don't mean cooked in simmering water.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto