• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating a whole, smoked turkey for Thanksgiving

mgaretz

We are driving down to SoCal (about 8 hours) to have Thanksgiving with my 87-year-old dad, who says he doesn't want to cook. I was thinking about smoking a small turkey the day before, refrigerating it, then packing it in a cooler with dry ice for the trip down.

What is the best way to reheat it? Can it be done as a whole bird or would I be better off to separate the various parts?

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

What is your time frame when you arrive? Do you think your Dad would relish the sight of a bronzed bird and carving at the table? Will the oven be occupied with anything else? I only did it once and used the Weber with the heat off to the side as I was doing a regular turkey in the single oven. I left the bird whole and it was a hit.

What is your time frame when you arrive? Do you think your Dad would relish the sight of a bronzed bird and carving at the table? Will the oven be occupied with anything else? I only did it once and used the Weber with the heat off to the side as I was doing a regular turkey in the single oven. I left the bird whole and it was a hit.

Time frame is unclear. If we do thanksgiving on Thursday then we will only have a few hours from the time we arrive until dinner. If we do it Friday, then we have the whole day. Dad doesn't even like turkey, so he won't care about the bird or carving. It's primarily for my kids who want the traditional meal.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

For Thanksgiving this year, we served a Montreal smoked turkey that we shipped in from Montreal whole. For reheating we sliced it and heated it gently in a foil wrapped pan with a little chicken/turkey stock added to the pan to keep it moist. It worked perfectly, was delicious and moist.

You could always borrow an old truckers' trick; put bird in a foil pan that will just fit it, add a bit of broth and wrap the whole business in heavy duty foil, then put it on the manifold ubder the hood. Should be nice and warm by the time you get there! ;)

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"