• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 1)

Dejah

I think if you change the filling to BBQ pork, this could be "Cha siu so"?  (BBQ pork flake)

For Cha Siu So the crust wouldn't have any sugar, but otherwise it's the same.

Is it gooey or is there chunks of winter melon for texture?

There's chunks of candied winter melon, along with some toasted sesame seeds and chopped peanuts.

Did you use lard or shortening?

Lard, of course!

You both did a fantastic job! Someone please do a pictoral on these beautiful wife cakes! Wow, they look awesome!

(But again, I'm too afraid to bake Chinese pastries - one time I made dan tat and it was more like creme caramel in a pie crust. Bleah)

I've found that you can get the shelf stable lard at any Western grocery store. If you want to trek from Boston to NY's Union Square Green market on a weekend, I've seen leaf lard sold during the spring months. (But you'll have to render it yourself.)

I tasted the wife cakes today and they do seem to taste much better than before. When they are warm the sweetness is muted and the layers aren't as set. Also, I think with the recipe I used that the ratio of crust to filling was too high, and that the cakes themselves were much too large. I wouldn't be averse to making the recipe again with some minor adjustments and doing a pictorial. The only problem is I ran out of lard and would have to go get some more.

Edited by sheetz (log)

I apologize for stealing the stage from lao po ping for a minute.... :unsure: I'm making the Ginseng Chicken Soup and I just wanted to share the pics of what i have accomplished so far. its still in the crock pot another 7 hrs to go..... lol (warning contains graphic pictures of dead birds)

uhmm the dead birds....

gallery_41019_4000_127051.jpg

the dead birds after being pre-boiled for 3 min then rinsed in cold water, now in the crock pot

gallery_41019_4000_87324.jpg

here's the Ginseng no label to whether its asian or american ginseng.

gallery_41019_4000_144153.jpg

Ginseng and Wolfberries

gallery_41019_4000_109270.jpg

here's everything in the pot including the dried mushrooms

gallery_41019_4000_3297.jpg

7 hours is just too long :angry: .... i will post more later to the finished soup. :smile:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Oh and another question, where in the world do you guys find lard? Or do you make it yourself?  :unsure:

It is really easy to make your own lard.

See my picture sequence here:

A Pictorial Guide To Seasoning a Brand New Wok

And as a bonus, you have some "chu yau zha" to chew on at the end or to use them to make Char Quay Teow.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

uhmm the dead birds....

gallery_41019_4000_127051.jpg

You can get birds with head and feet? That's great!

the dead birds after being pre-boiled for 3 min then rinsed in cold water, now in the crock pot

gallery_41019_4000_87324.jpg

3 birds in a crock pot??? Either these birds are very tiny or that your crock pot is really hugh!!! :unsure:

Ginseng and Wolfberries

gallery_41019_4000_109270.jpg

Young man: after you have all these ginseng, I hope you wouldn't have any problem sleeping. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

...that the cakes themselves were much too large....

aznsailorboi is doing a great job with posts. Careful with the ginseng, you're gonna be up all night cleaning your house if you don't watch how much tong you're drinking there! :laugh: It happened to my friend one time. She was up until 2am cleaning!

And sheetz, there's nothing wrong with a super-size lo poh beng! :wub:

Or are they supposed to be all delicate like? :huh:

And sheetz, there's nothing wrong with a super-size lo poh beng!  :wub:

Or are they supposed to be all delicate like?  :huh:

These suckers are huge, though! Much bigger than any I have ever seen anywhere. My preference is to make them big enough so that each one is a single serving because if you try to cut them up into pieces the delicate pastry tends to fall apart.

You could make mini lo poh bengs - I've seen them in bakeries here and there.  But I guess it would be harder.

I have eaten some miniature cakes from Zen's Peninsula as complimentary desserts. I can't remember whether those were wife's cake or little chicken cake. (Gai Tsai Beng) They are a little bigger than the size of a US quarter. Must be time consuming to make.

I have eaten some miniature cakes from Zen's Peninsula as complimentary desserts.  I can't remember whether those were wife's cake or little chicken cake.  (Gai Tsai Beng)  They are a little bigger than the size of a US quarter.  Must be time consuming to make.

They would not take as long to make as you think. When making conventionally sized wife's cakes most of the time is consumed by forming the individual flaky pastry doughs. When making miniatures sized ones you can streamline the process by making one large flaky pastry dough similar to French puff pastry and then cutting rounds using a biscuit cutter.

Majra, welcome and thanks for your beautiful pics. I dream of a wok setup like yours.

As promised, these are my wife cakes made using this

Sheetz: Those low paw bangs are amazing :wub: When can I place my order? :laugh:

I was reading over the ingredients for the filling. As I have never made these, I am not familiar with koh fun - cooked glutinous rice flour. Is there another name for it?

In the second recipe you linked to, there were instructions on making your own koh fun. But, I can't visualize "steaming" glutinous rice flour. Wouldn't it become a "glob"? :wacko:

What is the function of koh fun in the filling?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I was reading over the ingredients for the filling. As I have never made these, I am not familiar with koh fun - cooked glutinous rice flour. Is there another name for it?

In the second recipe you linked to, there were instructions on making your own koh fun. But, I can't visualize "steaming" glutinous rice flour. Wouldn't it become a "glob"? :wacko:

I'd never heard of it, either, but it's a common ingredients at the Kuali.com website. I know it sounds weird, but I went ahead and steamed a cup of glutinous rice flour just to see what would happen and to my surprise it didn't form a huge sticky mass. There were a few blobs where condensation dripped on the flour but those were easy to fish out. Then I put the steamed flour in the microwave and heated it until it started to turn an ivory color and used that in the recipe.

There's a photo of it at this food blog about 2/3 down the page.

http://pwmf.blogspot.com/2005/10/baking-essentials.html

Using koh fun instead of regular glutinous rice flour makes the filling less gooey.

I'd never heard of it, either, but it's a common ingredients at the Kuali.com website. I know it sounds weird, but I went ahead and steamed a cup of glutinous rice flour just to see what would happen and to my surprise it didn't form a huge sticky mass. There were a few blobs where condensation dripped on the flour but those were easy to fish out. Then I put the steamed flour in the microwave and

Using koh fun instead of regular glutinous rice flour makes the filling less gooey.

Thanks, sheetz. I'll keep that information on file for the day I might decide to try my hand at wife cakes.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Page 20! A milestone! Call for a celebration! We need more pictures...

gallery_19795_3932_15083.jpg

Dinner... this is NOT Mapo Tofu. Though it looks very close. I didn't have much fresh produce in the fridge... Got a can of the Taiwanese minced beef sauce. Cooked it with some tofu and button mushrooms and corns.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

here's the brew after 8 hours. I added the bok ni at 5 hours.

gallery_41019_4000_28584.jpg

and then dinner...... :smile:

gallery_41019_4000_32433.jpg

very rich, yet very clean to the palate, and it doesn't have that "medicinal" taste, i guess cooking it for a long period of time mellowed out the herbal flavors.

I dunno if i've been rejuvenated though. :wacko:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.