• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 1)

Dejah

Hi everyone, this is my first contribution to this thread. I just recently figured out ImageGullet, and now you are the unwitting audience to my first photo essay. :biggrin:

My husband gave me an outdoor wok burner for Christmas this year. He says it's the gift that keeps on giving. To him. :laugh:

gallery_17370_4115_74855.jpg

He built it up on cinder blocks so that the burner would be at a good height for cooking. It sits in a corner of our "Florida Room," or screened porch. The room is constructed of concrete block, and has a brick floor. Next to the new wok burner is my gas grill. Together, I guess I can call it my outdoor kitchen! You may see the "nightlight" my husband set up to illuminate the cooking area in the evening.

gallery_17370_4115_91668.jpg

These are my two woks. The big one has an 18" diameter, and is new. It was part of my Christmas gift. The smaller one is my trusty old friend. It has a 12" diameter and has been used regularly for the past 15 or so years. It looks like a wee little baby compared to the new one.

gallery_17370_4115_95885.jpg

Here's the whole setup, ready for action. I took these photos during the day. The next batch of pictures will be after dark when I cook dinner.

gallery_17370_4115_55202.jpg

Tonight we had Yu Xiang Pork with Eggplant. I melded two recipes from Fuchsia Dunlop's book. Here's my mis en place. I use the shelf on the right side of the grill as a countertop, and the child-size chair on the other side of the wok is another handy space for putting things.

gallery_17370_4115_5788.jpg

First I fried the eggplant.

gallery_17370_4115_39984.jpg

Next I removed the eggplant, cooked the pork, added chili bean paste, garlic & ginger, then added the eggplant back in. The mixture simmered for a few minutes in chicken stock, sugar, salt & soy to let the flavors blend. Finally, I added scallions, Chinkiang vinegar, cornstarch slurry and sesame oil to finish the dish. It was very much to our liking.

gallery_17370_4115_131610.jpg

We also had spinach stir-fried with garlic and salt.

gallery_17370_4115_19946.jpg

We ate these two dishes with steamed rice. There was also a bowl of edamame on the table since my kids hate spinach. :shock:

Dessert was not Chinese. We had Korova cookies and a few cherries.

gallery_17370_4115_70836.jpg

Those look beautiful, majra! I envy your set up. Look forward to seeing more of your production!

Do you find the 12 inch wok adequate? I like it as it must be very light-weight so one can easily toss stuff around. Can it handle most of your dishes?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Those look beautiful, majra!  I envy your set up.  Look forward to see more of your production!

Do you find the 12 inch wok adequate?  I like it as it must be very light-weight so one can easily toss stuff around.  Can it handle most of your dishes?

Thanks for the compliment. As for the wok, I used to think that the 12" was adequate, and I've certainly put plenty of nice dinners on the table over the years using that pan, but that was before I knew any better. :wink: Since I got the new larger pan, I've not used the old one nearly as much. I've been using the small pan if I stir-fry two dishes in succession, for instance tonight I cooked the spinach in the small one.

Things I do like about the small wok are its integrated handle, and its ability to fit in the sink for easy cleaning. I seem to splash a lot of water on the floor when I rinse out the big wok. Lucky for me, my husband always cleans up after dinner! :wub:

Great first post Majra. I have almost the identical set-up, only I had steel legs welded on to the short legs of the wok burner. There is enough room to put the gas tank under the burner then so it does not take up space. No cement blocks to stub my toes on either.

One caveat though, I had to move my bbq and burner out of the screened porch as the grease was collecting on the screens, which had to be replaced. Except for deep frying, cooking in the rain is not a problem, especially if you have a designated umbrella porter. :biggrin:

Oh Majra! Causing envy with your first contribution! :angry::laugh: You're a lucky woman, especially if your hubby is the cleaner-upper.

I would love to have a set up like yours. Perhaps when we can reclaim the backyard from the dog. :sad: At the moment, it's not a great place to cook in.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Great first post Majra.  I have almost the identical set-up, only I had steel legs welded on to the short legs of the wok burner. There is enough room to put the gas tank under the burner then so it does not take up space.  No cement blocks to stub my toes on either.

That sounds like a nice arrangement that you have. My husband considered lengthening the legs on my burner as well, but he thought that the cinder blocks would provide more stability. I guess we are scarred from all of those years when we lived in earthquake country. :wink:

One caveat though, I had to move my bbq and burner out of the screened porch as the grease was collecting on the screens, which had to be replaced. Except for deep frying, cooking in the rain is not a problem, especially if you have a designated umbrella porter. :biggrin:

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I will keep an eye on my screens. I've been using the grill out on the porch for almost 2 years now with no problems, but grease will be more of an issue with wok cooking now that you mention it. We do get a lot of pouring rain here in central Florida, almost daily in the late afternoon/early evening in summertime. I will have to keep my equipment covered with tarps if I ever move it outside.

You're a lucky woman, especially if your hubby is the cleaner-upper.

Our appreciation for each other is a two-way street, especially at dinnertime! :biggrin:
I would love to have a set up like yours. Perhaps when we can reclaim the backyard from the dog. :sad:  At the moment, it's not a great place to cook in.

I am loving the new setup, and would recommend one to anyone! Besides the increased BTUs, I also love that my house doesn't stink from cooking.

Welcome to E-gullet china forum!!!!! NICE outdoor setup .....like everyone I am jealous of that setup and there's a vermont grill *sob teary eyed* :sad: , OH AND THE POOL....if it was my place, WHO'S READY TO PAHHHTAYYYYY!!!!!

i've had that dish before but i cant remember where..... it looks good though and those cherries look fabulous, they're still in season? which part of the country are you Majra?

oh i finally cooked for dinner, just bought a freshly killed fish at the local chinese grocer, i dunno what fish i got but its damn good, nice firm flesh, very sweet. The seasoning i added to it are just aromatics(garlic, ginger, scallions) salt, sugar, shao hsing wine, sesame oil and splash of soy sauce in the end. can somebody please ID the fish for me if you can.

here's the fish

gallery_41019_4000_30949.jpg

and heres the steamed version

gallery_41019_4000_91693.jpg

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

its definitely not tilapia, coz the tilapia was in the other tank hehe. its a freshwater fish as well, since it was with a big grass carp. and of course i had to go for the fish thats unknown to me....but thats me. :smile:

Edited by aznsailorboi (log)

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Ah leung I'm making your recipe for cornish hens with ginseng and white fungus soup tonight. i got fresh ginseng from the store yesterday, i wonder if i should use less or more, since you used dried ones in your recipe?

Majra, I'm coming over for dinner!!! :laugh:

I love your outdoor kitchen!! I can almost imagine what your BTUs are when you cook. The problem I have with most American kitchens is that there isn't enough "fire-power" on the stove to cook things properly. :hmmm: But your outdoor burner really does resolve that issue! Great pics and keep them coming!!

Aznsailorboi- I think domestic goddess is right, that looks like a type of grouper or "groper" as I use to call it. :laugh: Looks delicious!

Speaking of grouper, I made one myself recently. However, mine was frozen since I live far from my nearest Chinatown in Boston. (or I'm lazy :hmmm: )

Here is my Chili soy braised Grouper:

gallery_48325_4009_432766.jpg

I also made tomato and eggs. My family makes this dish a bit more soupy than others because we always fight each other to mix our rice with it.

gallery_48325_4009_441197.jpg

Lotus root with beef and hot green peppers:

gallery_48325_4009_252459.jpg

Five-spiced beef with hot green peppers (yes, I'm pretty obsessed with hot green pepeprs :biggrin: ):

gallery_48325_4009_147864.jpg

And lastly, King oyster mushrooms with five-spiced tofu and chicken. Doesn't look as appetizing in the pic but it was tasty:

gallery_48325_4009_148216.jpg

Ah leung I'm making your recipe for cornish hens with ginseng and white fungus soup tonight. i got fresh ginseng from the store yesterday, i wonder if i should use less or more, since you used dried ones in your recipe?

I am not sure without seeing how big your fresh ginseng is. I would say one piece of whole, fresh ginseng is definitely enough to make a pot of soup with a whole chicken.

PS: Your no-name fish looks pretty good! :laugh:

I am not sure without seeing how big your fresh ginseng is. I would say one piece of whole, fresh ginseng is definitely enough to make a pot of soup with a whole chicken.

PS: Your no-name fish looks pretty good! :laugh:

Thanks, I guess I will just use one whole ginseng, the pack came with like 7-8 whole fresh ginseng roots, I wonder what else I can use it for? Well I dont wanna OD on ginseng either. haha.

The NO-NAME FISH will remain nameless, lol its a family recipe passed down so its a family table classic that will remain nameless......i guess i'll call it "steamed fish Tan-clan style" hehe. the name is kinda too long though, the fish will be long gone before u can say the name of the dish. LOL

Thanks, I guess I will just use one whole ginseng, the pack came with like 7-8 whole fresh ginseng roots, I wonder what else I can use it for? Well I dont wanna OD on ginseng either. haha.

For dried ginseng, people cut them into thin slices and brew tea with them. Not sure if you can do it with fresh ginseng. You can try. Need to slice the ginseng really thin.

Make sure you clean the ginseng root really well, too.  I wonder if your soup's going to be more potent w/ the fresh ginseng, aznsailorboi.  Do take photos, please!

i will take photos, when i put it all together in the slow cooker. and also the end product 10 hrs after

Tonight we had a simple one-dish dinner, chicken and broccoli. It had lots of ginger. This dish is a family favorite and it graces our table frequently.

gallery_17370_4115_54168.jpg

We ate this with plenty of steamed rice. We also had a delicious melon.

gallery_17370_4115_34702.jpg

Edited by Majra (log)

The chicken and broccoli is simple, but so satisfying.

Those ten inch pyrex pie plates are perfect receptacles for big portions. I use the very same ones, and have often seen them used in restaurants. The sauce doesn't spill, and the handles make for easier removal from the steamer. I also use them when I steam ground meat patties, fish fillets, chicken and mushroom, etc.

We had steamed ground beef with ja choi, stir-fried Shanghai bok choi with lots of ginger and a touch of garlic. Soup was lotus root simmered with octopus and pork breast bones. There was just enough leftover from Sunday for hubby and me!

Our daughter is now studying at med school about 2.5 hours from home. She's missing traditional soups, so I'll be making the lotus root again with lots of octopus, foo juk with dried oysters, bittermelon with oysters, dried bok choi with dried duck feet and honey dates. Her brother is visiting her this weekend so I'll be sending in a care package. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Majra, welcome and thanks for your beautiful pics. I dream of a wok setup like yours.

As promised, these are my wife cakes made using this recipe. They tasted ok, I guess. Not the best I've ever eaten, but not the worst either. I think I prefer the pastry using this recipe more.

gallery_26439_3934_754120.jpg

gallery_26439_3934_110089.jpg

Looking wonderfully delicious Sheetz!

I'm a sucker for Wife-cakes. It's my favorite Asian pastry.

Quick question, what is the texture inside your wife-cakes? Is it gooey or is there chunks of winter melon for texture?