• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

jaroj

Closing Wine Filled Chocolates

14 posts in this topic

Just joined the community and have to say that it has been wonderful reading so many interesting and educational topics specificallly for sugar confections and chocolate, and during the past few days have read more than 8 hours a day (almost
like a full time job) and haven't been able to finish, hopefully will accomplish this task someday.

However have not found an answer to a project that I'm venturing into.

Have a customer that wants filled molded chocolate with red wine, white wine and champagne. The problem part and cannot figure
out is how to close the mold once I fill it with the wine, since the chocolate will be denser and tend to displace the liquid(wine)
from the cavity. Was planning to use a hydrocolloid to thicken the wine and have a higher density (making the wine into kind of a jelly or perhaps some caviar spheres, like the molecular gastronomy) since I dont want to add nothing to the wine itself and leave it the most natural as possible, the wines are of different varities such as merlot, cabernet, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Welcome jaroj. I don't have an answer to your question about filling chocolates with wine, I am sure that someone on this forum does. Just a suggestion... start your own topic for your question, I think you will get a lot more answers.

I can only think of floating some cocoa butter on top of the wine, then capping after that sets up. But your idea of making the wine gel very lightly isn't bad, agar agar comes to mind since you could incorporate that without having to boil the wine.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just joined the community and have to say that it has been wonderful reading so many interesting and educational topics specificallly for sugar confections and chocolate, and during the past few days have read more than 8 hours a day (almost
like a full time job) and haven't been able to finish, hopefully will accomplish this task someday.

However have not found an answer to a project that I'm venturing into.

Have a customer that wants filled molded chocolate with red wine, white wine and champagne. The problem part and cannot figure
out is how to close the mold once I fill it with the wine, since the chocolate will be denser and tend to displace the liquid(wine)
from the cavity. Was planning to use a hydrocolloid to thicken the wine and have a higher density (making the wine into kind of a jelly or perhaps some caviar spheres, like the molecular gastronomy) since I dont want to add nothing to the wine itself and leave it the most natural as possible, the wines are of different varities such as merlot, cabernet, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

If you feel comfortable you could use inverse spherification. I hove done something similar with a raspberry juice:

H6bQi.jpg

7xBnE.jpg

Chef Eddy has another method using fondant, here is link: http://www.chefeddy....led-chocolates/

-Fill your mold with wine, leaving a 2 mm gap between the surface of the liquid and the rim of the mold.

-Get a piece of silicone paper or acetate the same size as your mold

-Spread a thin layer of tempered couverture on the paper, say 1-11/2 mm thick.

-Lay the paper over the filled mold, trowel smooth.

-When set, remove paper.

The booze will only last a few days at the most. The liquid will attack the sugar in the couverture and dissolve it. Might have some luck lining the mold with cocoa butter after coating it with cuverture, dunno, never tried that, always made sure they were consumed within 24 hrs.

-Fill your mold with wine, leaving a 2 mm gap between the surface of the liquid and the rim of the mold.

-Get a piece of silicone paper or acetate the same size as your mold

-Spread a thin layer of tempered couverture on the paper, say 1-11/2 mm thick.

-Lay the paper over the filled mold, trowel smooth.

-When set, remove paper.

The booze will only last a few days at the most. The liquid will attack the sugar in the couverture and dissolve it. Might have some luck lining the mold with cocoa butter after coating it with cuverture, dunno, never tried that, always made sure they were consumed within 24 hrs.

I've used this technique several times to mold liquid centers--it's a little messy, but effective.

Rich

-----------------------------------

"Chocolate As Art"

Dancing Lion Chocolate

DancingLionChocolate.com

Thanks for all the suggestions and will try them.

Jose

You can go 50/50 with a product by Valrhona called Absolu Crystol. I've done this in the past for alcohol filled bonbons.

You can make a jelly with agar agar, then blend it down to a paste to pipe it in the mold.

Prairie girls suggestion with the neutral glaze works as well but will sweeten your alcohol mix.

You can also spray a layer or tempered cocoa butter to create a membrane that will protect the liquids.

The issue of liquids will be the fact that they will leak out very fast. I would go for the agar solution with a sheet of gelatine to absorb the extra humidity or make a ganache. There are nice chocolates out there that can be paired with wines and enhance the flavour. That's my personal thoughts on the question.

You can make a jelly with agar agar, then blend it down to a paste to pipe it in the mold.

Prairie girls suggestion with the neutral glaze works as well but will sweeten your alcohol mix.

You can also spray a layer or tempered cocoa butter to create a membrane that will protect the liquids.

The issue of liquids will be the fact that they will leak out very fast. I would go for the agar solution with a sheet of gelatine to absorb the extra humidity or make a ganache. There are nice chocolates out there that can be paired with wines and enhance the flavour. That's my personal thoughts on the question.

Rodney,

If you come to the chocolate workshop - would you like to demo this?

Rodney,

Which part?

Rodney,

Which part?

Rodney,

Which part?

Which ever part you want!

Rodney,

Which part?

Rodney,

Which part?

Which ever part you want!

I'll do my best for the Sunday then. I should be off that day.

• Similar Content

• By Choky
      After searching this one and other forums I found a number of reasons / solutions for release marks:

1 - mold should be cold and go right away to fridge
      2 - mold should be cold and only go to fridge after beginning of crystallization
      3 - mold should be heated
      4 - because of over crystallization
      6 - not professional molds (too much flex)
      5 - use cooling tunnel instead of fridge so that mold is cooled gradually

I'm having trouble with release marks, as seen in the photo:

I've tried numbers 1, 2 and 3 above without success, number 4 I'm not sure how to control, number 5 is not the cause as I'm using professional molds and number 6 is not an investment that I can do right now.

Any help would be appreciated!
    • By Choky
      Can a chocolate have 2 possible tempering settings?
      For example, using a continuous tempering machine, it can be tempered at 49ºC / 32ºC, but eventually also at 54ºC / 34ºC ?

Thanks in advance!
    • By ChristysConfections
      Hello Fellow Chocolatiers!

I am working on calculated appropriate prices for my handmade chocolates. It's absolutely shocking that after 10 years of making chocolates, I never really dared to delve into the nitty-gritty cost of goods. And when I worked at a chocolate shop that was never a concern placed on my plate.

So, I have attemped (with my horrible lack of excel spreadsheet skills) to figure out my cost of goods (including labor and packaging). Somehow, I must be doing something terribly wrong, as my costs worked out to be about $1.50 to make ONE PIECE. That seems outrageous! Granted, that did include using locally made bean-to-bar chocolate from a small producer. My business-partner-to-be is helping me sort it out (thankful that she and excel have a much better relationship). However, I need some information that is don't have at the moment and thought you guys might be able to help fill in the gaps.

1. For the sake of comparison, with cost of ingredients and labour (no packaging) how much does is cost you to produce one chocolate?

2. For those that make the fairly standard 22.5mm square enrobed chocolates, are you able to tell me how much and individual ganache square weighs pre-enrobing? How about post-enrobing? I know how much my ganache cost, but I don't know how many grams per piece to allot for the enrobed chocolate coating. And I am not in production right now so I can't test it out. If you can share it would be so helpful.

ETA: can anyone tell me the same for one of their molded chocolates?

Obviously there are variables like the height of the ganache and the size of the mould, but at least it would give me an idea. 

many thanks!
      Christy
    • By Kasia

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

• By ChristysConfections
      I have an opportunity to work as the head chocolatier for a local chocolate business. I will be going in to discuss with the owner tomorrow. I am notorious for undervaluing myself and my skills, but I want to change that. I have worked in the industry for 10 years and worked in one of the larger artisan local chocolate companies for 5 years. Does anyone know what the going hourly rate it for this type of position? I would be developing new recipes and running all production operations myself. It's only a part time gig (at the moment, as they have very small production). I will continue with my own business on the side for now - the owner knows this and is completely comfortable with it. I would possibly even be able to be the successor to this business once the owner retires. 

Also, anyone have input on working as an employee while developing recipes for another business? I feel so protective of my recipes that I will be sad to see some become the property of another business. I guess it is just all part of the nature of this line of work. I could be a sub-contractor and just provide this company with product, but they would prefer that I work and consult with them in-house and utilize their facilities.